From Round 3 Onwards Ferguson Tried Tons of Times to Poke RDAs Eyes

t3_85rjgr

Crazy.
Your image isn't showing up for me, so I'll upload one:

If my memory serves me correctly, it was 2-2 going into the 5th round.
tony-ferguson-of-the-united-states-accidentally-pokes-the-eye-of-dos-picture-id621333402

Then you have the illegal kick against Barboza (note: I didn't put the caption there):

yes. profile not available and he had dubs. interesting that he had dubs for like 3 months and then came back and I think not even a month and he got dubs somehow and banned. I felt awkward that he hasn't made a thread in some time and then I went to check on his profile and that was that. mods can be pretty petty here, they got a history. that SVG guy also banned, god knows why. and others...
It’s more relaxed now than it has been in a good long while. I did enjoy many of SVGs posts though. I’m sure he’ll be back.

Because you need to put women high up on the pedastal, that’s the only way they’ll respect you — sherdog
wtf I put how in my sentence for some reason. I think I meant a wow or something. yeah some mods here straight suck. a big problem here is that you don`t know who gave dubs (I meant like, it should show to everyone), who banned who, who deleted threads and things like that. its all anonymous for us

Can you show me more than the one? Accidents happen.

I don't have pictures of them but if you watch the fight you can see at least 3-4 very clear ones. And tbh you only need one nasty eye poke to completely change the fight and RDA said that one partially blinded him for the rest of the fight and was a big reason he struggled with Tony down the stretch. Normally I'd call that making excuses but when you watch the fight with that in mind it's very clear that's what happened

Also splaying your fingers out in front of you at eye level to discourage people chasing you isn't a technique we haven't seen before (Hi Jon) and it's effectiveness isn't just the potential for a fight changing eye poke (which Tony got) but also in that your opponent can't pressure you in the way they intend or they risk repeated damage to their eyes. And given refs in this sport never take points or DQ guys for eye pokes that's not really a sensible risk to take but it can throw off your entire game plan

There isna strong argument if he didn't get poked it would be 1 2 3 for RDA.

There is a strong chance if RDA fought Alvarez 10 times, he doesn't get his head blown off in the first round the next 9. This is how MMA works though, things happen.

Ferguson for his part is on a historic 10 fight win streak in the sports deepest division - that doesn't happen by accident. Tony is essentially world famous for losing early and winning late, which is exactly what happened. So its hard to cast aspersions on the guy who won his 8 prior fights in the UFC consecutively, that is known for winning the late rounds - doing both of those things.

Another day at the office.

RDA for his part already got summarily knocked out by Alvarez, was killing himself to make weight, and we already saw Khabib man handle him when they fought. So I don't think it was important we saw him work his way back to that rematch instead of moving to welterweight.

History demands Tony and Khabib fight, so it worked out well.

Jon Jones approves and people still ride his nuts around here.

LOL it's so weird how the eyepoke was no big deal during and after the fight, but now that Tony vs Khabib is coming up, it's a huge deal. It's the only reason Tony won the fight apparently! The internet is hilarious....

The fight was closer than people remember, but the eyepoke didn't turn the fight. Tony was already tagging RDA before it, and RDA still hit Tony plenty after it.

I hope Khabib beats him so that we won’t hear about his name ever again

There is a strong chance if RDA fought Alvarez 10 times, he doesn't get his head blown off in the first round the next 9. This is how MMA works though, things happen.

Ferguson for his part is on a historic 10 fight win streak in the sports deepest division - that doesn't happen by accident. Tony is essentially world famous for losing early and winning late, which is exactly what happened. So its hard to cast aspersions on the guy who won his 8 prior fights in the UFC consecutively, that is known for winning the late rounds - doing both of those things.

Another day at the office.

RDA for his part already got summarily knocked out by Alvarez, was killing himself to make weight, and we already saw Khabib man handle him when they fought. So I don't think it was important we saw him work his way back to that rematch instead of moving to welterweight.

History demands Tony and Khabib fight, so it worked out well.

Alvarez would beat RDA 9 times out of 10 because his style is tailor made to beat RDA.

Ferg gets by on chin and cardio to make up for his lack of grappling defense and striking defense.

RDA admitted himself he was affected by the eye poke. Had he not gotten poked, he could have won round 2. In a close fight like that every little thing matters and that eye poke almost blatantly stole the fight from him.

Ferg gets by on chin and cardio to make up for his lack of grappling defense and striking defense.

It is intellectually dishonest to define 'gets by' as a historic 10 fight win streak in the most talent rich division in the sport. You can't accidentally win ten fights in a row. Tony is arguably the most successful lightweight by strength of schedule in the history of MMA. If he beats Khabib, he'll be P4P one of the greats.

RDA admitted himself he was affected by the eye poke. Had he not gotten poked, he could have won round 2. In a close fight like that every little thing matters and that eye poke almost blatantly stole the fight from him.

RDA also said making lightweight was nearly killing him.

Of course RDA would say getting poked in the eye effected him. It's common sense. He was also getting pieced up at the beginning of round 2, and came back to win round 3.

There are a lot of variables in MMA and accidental fouls are one of them. Tony doesn't have a rich history of skirting the rules or eye poking his opponents. You are making a nothing sandwich out of this.

If Tony "tried to eye poke RDA a ton of times", I am pretty positive Tony would have successfully done so more than once....

Needs to be automatic point deduction for that.

And that, plus the weight cut issues and basically running his own camp (Rafa) helped Tony get that win.

I don't expect him to be much trouble for Khabib - could catch Khab or something but highly doubtful. Maybe the intentional/accidental eye poke; perhaps a groin shot or rabbit punch can help Tony with Khab.

It is intellectually dishonest to define 'gets by' as a historic 10 fight win streak in the most talent rich division in the sport. You can't accidentally win ten fights in a row. Tony is arguably the most successful lightweight by strength of schedule in the history of MMA. If he beats Khabib, he'll be P4P one of the greats.

RDA also said making lightweight was nearly killing him.

Of course RDA would say getting poked in the eye effected him. It's common sense. He was also getting pieced up at the beginning of round 2, and came back to win round 3.

There are a lot of variables in MMA and accidental fouls are one of them. Tony doesn't have a rich history of skirting the rules or eye poking his opponents. You are making a nothing sandwich out of this.

I didn't say he accidentally won his fights. If he had an average chin for MMA or average cardio instead of super human cardio he would be fringe top 10.

Tony very much has a history of fouls and bending the rules. Illegal kicks, eye pokes, keeping fingers in front of eyes, fence grabs, etc. Idk where you have been.

He has an accidental foul in nearly every fight. I give him this though, it takes a smart fighter or a stupid ref or both to successfully cheat consistently and not every ref is an idiot.

Just my opinion, I get yours though.

Back