Freddie Roach: UFC will never let Conor take a boxing match, he's not that good a fighter

I get your point, but boxing matches were called "fights" and boxers were called "fighters" decades before the term MMA was ever coined. For an old school boxing guy like Freddie Roach, of course he's going to call boxers fighters.
I know your right.

It's just strange now being so used to watching full contact, full body fighting and then to hear someone saying standing and throwing punches is the same act.

I completely get why he said it, he's hardly going to change calling his sport and referring to his guys as fighters and they will always be called fighters.

I'm just a bit of a definition Nazi, and a real Nazi.

I know your right.

It's just strange now being so used to watching full contact, full body fighting and then to hear someone saying standing and throwing punches is the same act.

I completely get why he said it, he's hardly going to change calling his sport and referring to his guys as fighters and they will always be called fighters.

you're*

Who wants to be a boxer exacly? Conor? Conor wants to fight Floyd to get even more rich, that`s it.
I'm not literally referring to crossing over - I'm talking about fighters who literally wishthey had hands like a boxer, and there are too many to count; some good, and some sloppy as fuck because they abandon almost all other MMA skills to their own detriment.

I know your right.

and I saw what you did there .... "definition" eh :D

I'm not literally referring to crossing over - I'm talking about fighters who literally wishthey had hands like a boxer, and there are too many to count; some good, and some sloppy as fuck because they abandon almost all other MMA skills to their own detriment.
It's different when you add in kicks..defensive boxing does not account for head kicks, low kicks or crippling body kicks....let alone knees.

The best boxer in the world, using only boxing would get TKOed by a mediocre kickboxer.

Rolling with punches fails to consider the range of a kick..its totally different. Only someone who never sparred a day in their life could frame it like you just did.

Freddie is shaking because he's so scurred

They all want to be boxers if they could. The problem is there's a much higher skill gap if you have to specialize in boxing and boxing only.

In MMA you can have Demian Maia or Jake Shields level striking and still beat everybody.

I'm sure the UFC fighters love making 8-15% of the revenue when they could be making $15 million guaranteed + PPV points for a 900K PPV like Canelo did against Cotto.

Exactly, cause you are fucking Demian Maia or Jake Shields with very technical grappling skills.

Floyd wouldn't survive even a minute on the ground against those two. There is a far larger skill gap in MMA. Boxing has a very specific set of rules that targets a very specific form of striking. When you throw a punch you are not worried about kicks, takedowns, clinch attempts, 50/50 attempts, elbows or knees, etc.

You are just primarily worried about positioning and potential HAND counters.

Think what would happen to so many fighters who would try and break pressure by holding onto their opponent as is done in boxing. Or so many fighters who have survived because of the 10 count rule rather than having to immediately wake up to a diving fist.

its a whole different ball game and the fans know that which is why boxing is slowly dying

Exactly, cause you are fucking Demian Maia or Jake Shields with very technical grappling skills.

Floyd wouldn't survive even a minute on the ground against those two. There is a far larger skill gap in MMA. Boxing has a very specific set of rules that targets a very specific form of striking. When you throw a punch you are not worried about kicks, takedowns, clinch attempts, 50/50 attempts, elbows or knees, etc.

You are just primarily worried about positioning and potential HAND counters.

Think what would happen to so many fighters who would try and break pressure by holding onto their opponent as is done in boxing. Or so many fighters who have survived because of the 10 count rule rather than having to immediately wake up to a diving fist.

its a whole different ball game and the fans know that which is why boxing is slowly dying

Yeah and people forget...

Guys strike differently when they fight a Maia or a Shields..they don't want to have the entire round lost by over committing and going to the ground..

Just like Wonderboy fought with less commitment on his kicks than normal for fear of Woodleys wrestling..thus Woodley OUTSTRUCK him.

These people will never understand.

Freddie's brain must have finally disintegrated into mush.

Boxers are not fighters, they are boxers.

Conor is a fighter.

I could probably beat Mayweather in a real fight with my 8 on again off again years of training BJJ. Dudes arm wouldn't extend to my chin when standing up straight anyway.
No boxers very much are fighters. They are in a full contact fight sport that involves being punched on and taking repeated trauma. It has a strict rule set but so does mma. Your logic makes about as much sense as saying mma isn't fighting. They are both sports with strict rules. Theres a ridiculous amount of rules in unified mma. Pride, vale tudo, old UFC? Those guys were fighters.

This "Boxing not Fighting" too many rules and pillows argument is a fucking joke. Yeah and UFC aint fighting, ask fucking founder Rorian Gracie who says its cheap, watered down fighting with all these 'rounds and rules'.

You want REAL fighting, put them in an alleyway with 1 exit and see who comes out alive -THATS real fighting. Likely Flloyd stabs Conor thru the eye with some trash as hes just shiftier like that.

Fighting...whatychall know bout real fighting

No boxers very much are fighters. They are in a full contact fight sport that involves being punched on and taking repeated trauma. It has a strict rule set but so does mma. Your logic makes about as much sense as saying mma isn't fighting. They are both sports with strict rules. Theres a ridiculous amount of rules in unified mma. Pride, vale tudo, old UFC? Those guys were fighters.
If you look up in the thread, you will notice i did say MMA is not strictly fighting either as I assume fighting can include weapons.

But, it is closer to fighting - ALOT closer than boxing ever will be.

You have two hands vs two hands, grappling, two knees, two legs and two elbows. And all the motions you can perform with those limbs and attacks on the ground is a whole other universe of offensive ability.

Boxing is a the kiddies play pen in rules comparison. That's what makes great boxers great though, they have mastered their precise art - that's almost impossible to do in MMA. Too many variables to contend with.

Conor, fighter?

Anybody with wrestling in real street rules would kill Conor in unarmed combat.

Any real WW would also kill the manlet in unarmed combat.

bork1}

Can't believe there is still a retard who pushing forward " any wrestler would ~ " against Conor lol

bork1}

Can't believe there is still a retard who pushing forward " any wrestler would ~ " against Conor lol
You could class me as a Conor hater but I would agree - at this point its just fucking ridiculous.

And if the dude gets rag-dolled by Khabib - well who the fuck doesn't get rag-dolled by Khabib.

Freddie has said a lot of stupid shit over the years and changes his mind pretty often, so basically anything he says is meaningless.

Fighter?

Boxing STOPS in the clinch.

Conor would RAPE floyd in an actual FIGHT, or MMA contest.

Boxing? (with all of its rules)?

Floyd dances and pitter-pats his way to an EASY UD.

MMA isn't real fighting either. It also has rules. A bunch of em.
Conor, fighter?

Anybody with wrestling in real street rules would kill Conor in unarmed combat.

Any real WW would also kill the manlet in unarmed combat.

I swear to god if a wrestler took me down in a fight with street rules I'd have my forefinger so deep in their ear they'd pass out.

...has Freddie's Parkinson's somehow improved?

I'd have my forefinger so deep in their ear they'd pass out.

Thought you were going somewhere else with that:

south-park-s02e18c11-the-ice-man-hunter-16x9.jpg

For the record, if an elite grappler got on top of me with intent to kill on the streets i'd shove my thumb up his butthole.

Last edited:
Interesting choice of words, I would completely agree if he said he isn't a good boxer but he is for sure a good fighter....a lot better fighter than any of the boxers Roach trains

Back