Frankie Edgar to Jose Aldo: 'Homeboy's got something coming'

Certainely one of the most anticipated fight coming in first half of 2013.

I like Edgar in that fight. Aldo has never fought a guy as good as Edgar before.

I think it will last for 25 minutes, a great battle, with the THIRD round being the key. I see Aldo beginning in a strong way and hurting Edgar and winning the first 2 rounds. During the third Aldo will slow down a bit, not Frankie though, and he will begin to pressure Aldo, land more combos and maybe even take him down later in the round. By the 4th round Edgar will clearly be the most active and succesful fight inthe Octagon, without being able to finish Aldo.

The 3rd round guys, is the key. Depending on who takes it and how we will either have a 48-47 UD on all 3 cards with the judges giving identical scorecards, or a split D that will wreck havoc on sherdog.
Sounds like a familiar recipe for Edgar. However, the scenario you describe has lost him his last two fights.
If Edgar doesn't change to a more visibly "effective" style, he will never win a close decision again.

Going to be the same as Aldo vs Faber. Leg kicks until Edgar can't even move.

I'm giving the edge to Edgar. Brazilians usually don't utilize much in the way of gameplans. Aldo will go out there and just try to do his thing, which is exactly what Edgar expects.

aldo needs to get the tko to get this victory - i think he is likely to get it, but i think its basically 50 / 50 persoannly

Yeah, you "told" us. No doubt that will make a HUGE difference in this fight. lol

What's going to make the difference is Frankie's cardio and agressive TDs that will put Jose on his back where he never wants to be. Nothing you or I or anyone here says will change that, much like all your vocal support for Gray will never make him a champion. Like JDS, people are putting too much faith in Jose.

I think this fight is going to be monumental for the Featherweight division. Frankie is a proven fighter who has hung in with the elite in the UFC for a long time, and unlike Florian, won't be killing himself to make this weight and looking like a scarecrow. If Frankie steamrolls Aldo, it will show that the FW division definitely needs a bit more depth, but if Aldo wins, it will show just how dominant he is as a champion. I think if Frankie loses and stays at FW we can really see just how far the division has come in the past few years - Frankie vs. guys like Lamas, Mendes, Koch, etc.

He's gonna actually need to avoid damage, which is something I'm not sure he can do against someone as quick as Aldo.

By far Aldo's best opponent ever. Frankie takes a decision

You're a good poster. I enjoy your posts, for the most part. So I will engage you on a concern that I have.
If Edgar fights the same fight that he has against Henderson, unless he separates himself more visibly with "effective" striking and wrestling, is Edgar likely to win a close decision?

I think this fight is going to be monumental for the Featherweight division. Frankie is a proven fighter who has hung in with the elite in the UFC for a long time, and unlike Florian, won't be killing himself to make this weight and looking like a scarecrow. If Frankie steamrolls Aldo, it will show that the FW division definitely needs a bit more depth, but if Aldo wins, it will show just how dominant he is as a champion. I think if Frankie loses and stays at FW we can really see just how far the division has come in the past few years - Frankie vs. guys like Lamas, Mendes, Koch, etc.
That's an excellent observation. Thank you.

"most people and MMA sites". More of the same clueless internet fodder.
Would you get real, kid.

Don't put the judges on some pedastol. A lot of them know jack shit about mma.

I guess that reality doesn't account for shitty judging.
If you adhere to "shitty judging", than Frankie has a very checkered past, indeed, and everything changes.
It's hard to have it both ways, as much as we would like to.

I like them both and I see fight going either way. If Aldo is not weakened much by the weight cut he could catch Frankie and finish him. But if Frankie turns to be faster and able to avoid Aldo strikinig he would take the fight to the later rounds outwork Aldo and win a decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back