Frank Mir confirms “unspoken rule among fighters” that tapping to strikes is “unacceptable” & “soft”

Many fighters, such as GSP, value brain health over being considered tough. If you fight then you're tough enough. No need to further shorten your lifespan.

"brain health" or health in general => then you should not fight.

Hmmm. "Unspoken rule" as in he's never actually had a conversation about it with other fighters so he doesn't really know what they think?

Look, it's obvious that there are moments when fighters fold mentally, more often by taking more subtle ways out than tapping, and that is completely understandable.

We're all human beings. Even the toughest mofos have doubts, feel weak sometimes in the face of adversity etc.

There's far too much pretend bravado and tough guy cliches that get thrown around in this sport.

frank is old school n cool guy.only time i have problem with tappin to strikes is if u talk insane amount of shit n go to extreme to intimidate your opponent like jj did.in dat case u better take your beating n back up your words instead of 'pussin out' first chance u get.probably bad example since its wmma but cant think of any other cases like this one

If it's not a spoken rule then it's not a rule and it's just his opinion.

If there was ever a fighter that should have tapped to strikes it was mir v brock.

That beating was hellacious and took several years off his life.

I would point out though that actually whats much more common is that fighters effectively "tap" by deliberately not looking to improve position so the ref steps in or giving up their neck for a choke finish. Theres still a conscious choice that they want out of the fight there which really isn't any different for me.

Last edited:
i'm not a fighter so I'm in no position to judge what internal values they've agreed upon as a fraternity. it's interesting though. tapping from a choke, which is relatively harmless is not soft, but tapping to getting your brain rattled in soft. must be something that's held over from boxing

You either get it, or you don't.

Compare Shogun to Mir? who has consistently shown to be the tougher fighter? ultimately it only got to the stage of having to tap because Rua stood up to getting the crap kicked out of him for 10 mins before that, Mir would have been turtling and TKOed well before that.

Indeed I actually think the biggest sign of weakness isn't even related to finishes, its when a fighter stops trying to win a match and just looks to survive it. Mir has I think been guilty of this a few times, vs Cormier and Reem most obviously.

His point is too weak. He says tapping to a choke is okay, but all you are doing is going to sleep, and he gave Holly Holm props. That should mean that tapping to strikes as just as soft as tapping to a choke.

Nothing is happening to you with a choke. You go to sleep for a few seconds with less pain than being beaten to bloody pulp.

Tapping to a choke is more cowardly than tapping to strikes. Because strikes are significantly more dangerous than a choke. You will have to burn your arms out to kill a person with a choke. One lethally placed strike and you may never wake up again.

How many people have been killed playing BJJ? LOL

You sound soft bro lol. Plus, I think he said it's a little different with submission guys.

So tapping to strikes is frowned upon, but going limp by choice or turtling up and waiting for the ref to save you is acceptable? Mir's been finished 8 times but was only knocked out twice. In nearly every TKO loss he springs to his feet after the fight is stopped.

I bet curling up, is frowned upon too.

I don't care what anyone says.
If you are in the cage and you feel your body can't continue,
you should tap.

There is no way out of some submissions, there is almost always a way out of strikes without quitting. let the ref do their job.
Spoken like a guy who has never been destroyed by someone that trains every day to destroy you.

wrecking your motorcycle after winning the HW championship and essentially ruining your career trajectory is also pretty unacceptable to be honest. then years later testing positive for steroids because you are trying to save your career and blaming kangaroos is also unacceptable.

Why would he wreck his motorcycle on purpose? I still don't understand why he did that.

His point is too weak. He says tapping to a choke is okay, but all you are doing is going to sleep, and he gave Holly Holm props. That should mean that tapping to strikes as just as soft as tapping to a choke.

Nothing is happening to you with a choke. You go to sleep for a few seconds with less pain than being beaten to bloody pulp.

Tapping to a choke is more cowardly than tapping to strikes. Because strikes are significantly more dangerous than a choke. You will have to burn your arms out to kill a person with a choke. One lethally placed strike and you may never wake up again.

How many people have been killed playing BJJ? LOL

Don’t mock what you don’t even understand.

When a sub is locked, it’s over. So tapping to prevent further unnecessary injury is not frowned upon.

When you’re being struck by punches and tap, you’re quitting while there’s always adjustments you can make to get out of being stopped. It’s like saying “I can’t take the pain anymore” and you’re trying to quit.

Time stamped.

Are you surprised to know that this is what MMA fighters think of tapping to strikes?

Do you agree with this “unspoken rule” among MMA fighters?

But clearly Frank thought it was OK to use PED's? And Anderson. So he can shove his bro code right up his ass and yours tool.

When a sub is locked, it’s over. So tapping to prevent further unnecessary injury is not frowned upon.

When you’re being struck by punches and tap, you’re quitting while there’s always adjustments you can make to get out of being stopped. It’s like saying “I can’t take the pain anymore” and you’re trying to quit.

No sub is absolutely 100% locked until you choked unconscious or it causes fight ending damage.

No it's nothing like "I can't take the pain anymore". It's more along the lines of your brain being scrambled, your body not responding, and survival instinct kicking in.
Fucking bunch of tough guys here who'vwho've never been in a fight since they had to wrestle their bag of doritos open.

Back