Frank Mir confirms “unspoken rule among fighters” that tapping to strikes is “unacceptable” & “soft”

this is the same guy who said he would pay the other fighter not to tap .. what is he doing paying people anything ??

not to mention tainted kangaroo meat .. dude is so full of himself its sad .. way to deep into thought about himself 99.9% of the time

Here's the thing. If there was no ref, Carwin and Lesnar would have killed Mir. So it's easy for him to ridicule people for tapping to strikes but he relied on another grown man to stop himself from getting killed
Agreed. Its like. If the airbags deploy during a crash then the driver is a pussy for not taking steering wheel to the face.

It's life man. The intelligent fans who understand fighting and martial arts will appreciate it's history just as I have with many combat sports despite things being before my time too.
It's just crazy to think how much the sport has changed in a short amount of time. I remember these were the guys 6 or 7 years ago

His point is too weak. He says tapping to a choke is okay, but all you are doing is going to sleep, and he gave Holly Holm props. That should mean that tapping to strikes as just as soft as tapping to a choke.

Nothing is happening to you with a choke. You go to sleep for a few seconds with less pain than being beaten to bloody pulp.

Tapping to a choke is more cowardly than tapping to strikes. Because strikes are significantly more dangerous than a choke. You will have to burn your arms out to kill a person with a choke. One lethally placed strike and you may never wake up again.

How many people have been killed playing BJJ? LOL

You must not know of The Choking Game.

o9mt1c.gif

He just lost 10 years of his life.

What fighters do instead of tapping to strikes is to turtle up and hope the ref is watching, so its sort of tapping even they don't actually do it.

My belief is shit or get off the pot - it's not dishonorable to tap to strikes, but it's dishonorable to turtle up into the Crumpled Fetus position and wait for the ref to rescue you. Then of course, jump up professing to be "just fine" acting like it was an early stoppage.

It's just crazy to think how much the sport has changed in a short amount of time. I remember these were the guys 6 or 7 years ago

7 years is 1/4 of my lifespan thus far, so that's a huge measurement of time to me haha. It's crazy I've followed something so long, started following MMA back in 06/07. Even then I went back and watched a lot of Rings, Pride, Vale Tudo etc. I've watched less MMA these past two years than in the past 7 or 8.

When you are in a tight submission, there's is a small .01 percent chance to perhaps excape it somehow a la leech's eye gouge or another tatic. But when you tap to strikes, you have a greater chance to improve position and escape a la Fedor vs Fabio. Also, when you turtle up, it's muscle memory. It's a basic defensive posistion ingrained since white belt bjj level. I think I have seen some guys turtle up and granby roll into open guard or a safer posistion. It's not the same thing as tapping to strikes.

In before Mir suffer from CTE at 50yrs old and start a go fund me

maybe if Frank knew when a fight was over and was willing to tap he wouldnt have that perma-dazed look in his eyes from taking so many shots to the head. "I took brain damage, so everyone should have to!"

i'm not a fighter so I'm in no position to judge what internal values they've agreed upon as a fraternity. it's interesting though. tapping from a choke, which is relatively harmless is not soft, but tapping to getting your brain rattled in soft. must be something that's held over from boxing
I don't know about this unspoken rule. I've trained at many gyms with many fighters and have never heard of it.

Saying that, it's a sport that is based on building resiliance and resolve, and if you were constantly tapping to strikes, then the coach might pull you up and ask if you should be doing this sport.

Referees don't seem to let fighters cop a prolonged, one sided beating in regional shows though, not like the UFC.

Disagree. Why get beat up badly? Why tap to subs then? Strikes fuck your brain up. Subs and strikes can be equally dangerous.
It’s mental thing. Like tapping to strikes is for pussies. Fuck that.

Frank Mir has said a lot of dumb shit in his life so this doesn't surprise me.

My belief is shit or get off the pot - it's not dishonorable to tap to strikes, but it's dishonorable to turtle up into the Crumpled Fetus position and wait for the ref to rescue you. Then of course, jump up professing to be "just fine" acting like it was an early stoppage.
Yes, why don't more rocked fighters do the honorable thing instead of protecting themselves and trying to recover? Any real man knows that when rocked you present your face and head to be struck further.

Back