Former 0-2 UFC HW fighter is 1 win away from 1mil in PFL

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So this guy Josh Copeland I’ve just learned is one win away from winning a HW tournament with several other unsuccessful UFC veterans and is about to cash out 1mil if he gets just that 1 more win.

He’s about to get paid more than the entire UFC HW roster.

well ts did say entire UFC HW roster...

but good for josh. his ko over nicholson was reminiscent of stipe's over werdum
Ah my bad TS, i missed that part. Was a long day.

Stipe and Cormier both made over 1 mil this year by the way.. so still not right.

Do they get paid per fight or just for winning the tournament?

17-5 Overall isn't a terrible record for a HW.

Who's he fighting in the final?

Seems like a great idea to me. The possibility to win a cool 1 million dollars might actually motivate the UFC HWs to get off the fucking couch and do some cardio. Looking at you Black Beast!

It's normal purse for each fight, and then a tiered reward system based off where they finish. So if he wins 3 fights and wins the tournament he gets 3x fight purse and 1 million additional prize

Goes to show the UFC really has the best competition--by far. Another complete UFC flop, Dave Herman, was 20-1 outside the UFC (not counting his DQ "loss" to Sokoudjou in a AFDC fight he was dominating). He went 1-4 in the UFC, where his reliance on athleticism and minimalist training didn't fly.

Copeland looks like a cross between Mike Russow, Chad Griggs and the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

I'm guessing most people didn't believe they would actually get paid the 1 million or way more would have done it. Gegard would have basically been guaranteed to win and he's making $150 K per fight in bellator.

Edit: or did Gegard sign before the tournament was announced. It seems like I heard about the tournament long before it actually started?

Last edited:
It's frustrating to me that Valdrin Istrefi pulled out due to injury because I think he could beat both Josh Copeland and Phillipe Lins, who are now fighting for the $1 million, although I don't think he'd be able to deal with Rosholt.

So this guy Josh Copeland I’ve just learned is one win away from winning a HW tournament with several other unsuccessful UFC veterans and is about to cash out 1mil if he gets just that 1 more win.

He’s about to get paid more than the entire UFC HW roster.
To be fair he lost to Ruslan Magomedov and Jared Rosholt, who are two of the best HW's on the planet.

On the other hand, Lins went 3-3 in Bellator.

It's frustrating to me that Valdrin Istrefi pulled out due to injury because I think he could beat both Josh Copeland and Phillipe Lins, who are now fighting for the $1 million, although I don't think he'd be able to deal with Rosholt.
You don't think he'd be able to? Rosholt already did fight him as part of the tournament, and dominated him.

Then again, Tiller dominated Rosholt, only for Rosholt to dominate the rematch.

Goes to show the UFC really has the best competition--by far. Another complete UFC flop, Dave Herman, was 20-1 outside the UFC (not counting his DQ "loss" to Sokoudjou in a AFDC fight he was dominating). He went 1-4 in the UFC, where his reliance on athleticism and minimalist training didn't fly.

Copeland looks like a cross between Mike Russow, Chad Griggs and the Pillsbury Dough Boy.
Yeah you’re right it’s not like the SF HWs came over and took over the UFC or anything right? <45>

the fighters still get paid for each fight leading up to the tournament finale-

"There will be seven weeks of “regular season” competition, with each fighter guaranteed two fights. These two fights are compensated with traditional “show” and “win” contracts, with each fighter negotiating their own deal, just like traditional MMA pay structure."

the tournament payouts are as follows:

PFL 2018 playoffs pay structure
  • Playoff champions: $1 million
  • Playoff runners-up: $200,000
  • Playoff semifinal losers: $100,000
  • Playoff quarterfinal losers: $50,000
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/profe...roster-reveal-wsof-millionaire-tournament-mma

I'm guessing most people didn't believe they would actually get paid the 1 million or way more would have done it. Gegard would have basically been guaranteed to win and he's making $150 K per fight in bellator.

I'm still not convinced that this is a sustainable model and that everybody is going to get paid. Even if the org somehow agrees to give the lion share to the fighters, I don't see how all those low profile fights are going to bring several millions of pure profit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back