Forget BJ, has Penn EVER fought anyone as good as Yair??

BJ was a lot faster when he was younger, speed is kind of important when it comes to combat sports. It was like watching Manny demolish De Le Hoya where he just had no answer for the speed difference.

I agree that even BJ in his prime would have lost to Yair today. Thats what I just posted somewhere else, people keep saying BJ is a shadow of his former self and sure you cant go against aging but his skills havent evolved either and I would put more emphasis on the fact that the the sport has evolved with fighters like Yair more than just the fact that BJ is older.

BJ choked out Duane Ludwig 14 or so years ago. Ludwig was doing that fancy kick shit when rodriguez was still learning how to walk.

I don't think the game has evolved that much. We have still seen several old guys being competitive against the socalled new breed.

Eddie Alvarez, Fabricio Werdum, Michael Bisping, Ronaldo Souza are very copmpetitive, and even better than most of the new breed, despite being at the end of their career. Suddenly they will start losing too. It happens to everyone.

Would Anderson lose to Bisping or struggle with Nick in his prime? Would Fedor struggle with Maldonado in his prime? Would prime BJ lose to Yair? Would prime GSP struggle with Hendricks? I don't think so.

People will give TS a lot of shit

But hes actually right...but he doesnt even know why hes right...not for the stupid reasons he states

I will break it down.

When you look at who BJ was as a fighter....

BJ was at his best when he could control with the jab and work off the jab...he also loved counter jabbing

BJ adopted a narrow stance to make his jab longer...but it also now made it difficult for BJ to cutt off the ring or defend kicks (same issues as Diaz brothers)

So a dynamic fleet footed kicker in Yari was ALWAYS GOING TO GIVE BJ huge problems

Especially Yari from southpaw

Because as we went over, BJ's success really came off the jab

And so Yari switching to southpaw puts his lead hand at a natural interference to BJ's jab hand

BJ looked lost because everytime Yari went southpaw this put his lead hand right in front of BJ's jab hand as a jammer, and it discouraged BJ from ever jabbing..You will notice BJ didnt even attempt to jab...BJ not jabbing is like Shogun not kicking...it will quickly fall apart for them afterwards.. BJ couldnt establish a jab.....and that opened up everything else.. like the power rear kick from southpaw directly alinged to BJ...

Yari was smart to fight southpaw

Every time Yari went orthodox I would scream "what the F are you doing, go back to southpaw, jam his jab hand, move and work those rear kicks (body and legs) which now align"

Yari clearly did his homework..Was proud to see. What a flawless performance...Yari fighting that fight ALWAYS WOULDVE GIVEN BJ AT HIS BEST LOTS OF TROUBLE

Maybe BJ in his prime wouldve been able to close distance better, foce some boxing exchanges more and land more shots...BUT BJ with his narrow stance always still wouldve had trouble with Yari's footwork and kicks....and especially Yari going southpaw, jamming BJ's jab hand, and discouraging BJ from jabbing...

Just go and watch the tape, BJ always lost when he couldnt establish his jab...BJ wasnt a very skilled or well rounded boxer...BJ was simply special for knowing how to jab at a time when most MMA fighters didnt even know boxing existed

Look I dont care about age...you lose speed, then you need to improve your IQ and SKILLS

BJ 100% couldve made a comeback had he improved his skills

BJ was still very limited and fought the same way he always has

When will MMA fighters learn that its skills that pay the bills

Having said all that, I was pissed at the late stoppage...felt bad for BJ...I never want to see someone take unneccessary unanswered blows like that...Big John fucked up bad..poor BJ

Yari is the real deal and is on the rise

A year ago on my twitter I said the best most legit prospects in MMA are Kelvin Gastelum and Yari Rodriguez

I don't think the game has evolved that much. We have still seen several old guys being competitive against the socalled new breed.

Eddie Alvarez, Fabricio Werdum, Michael Bisping, Ronaldo Souza are very copmpetitive, and even better than most of the new breed, despite being at the end of their career. Suddenly they will start losing too. It happens to everyone.

Would Anderson lose to Bisping or struggle with Nick in his prime? Would Fedor struggle with Maldonado in his prime? Would prime BJ lose to Yair? Would prime GSP struggle with Hendricks? I don't think so.
You absolutely know NOTIHING about fighting

Bisping was 38 when he out classed Anderson

And yes Bisping wouldve always beaten Anderson

You know why?

Because all it took to throw Anderson off and disrupt his ability to time you and counter, WAS FIENTS....

Anderson was as basic and amature as an MMA "counter striker" as you could get

Especially uncoventional combos or double jabs or lead left hooks wouldve always wreacked havoc on Anderson's FLAWED pattern based head movement

Anderson was an OVER RATED media creation who feasted on low IQ brawlers, who had tons of flaws, and who was quickly exposed once he started fighting fundamentally sound strikers who could actually box and who actually utilised fients

GSP, Hughes, Rory, Nick Diaz, Machida, Edgar, Ken-Flo, Sherk, Gomi, Jens.

You know why?

Because all it took to throw Anderson off and disrupt his ability to time you and counter, WAS FIENTS....

Especially uncoventional combos or double jabs or lead left hooks wouldve always wreacked havoc on Anderson's FLAWED pattern based head movement

Anderson was an OVER RATED media creation who feasted on low IQ brawlers, who had tons of flaws, and who was quickly exposed once he started fighting fundamentally sound strikers who could actually box and who actually utilised fients

I bet those FIENTS would throw you off too.

like they threw off your spelling ability.

You know why?

giphy.gif

This kind of revisionism never ceases to crop up when a fighter like this loses. One day you will be asking if Rodriguez ever fought anyone as good as john smith

Forget all the BJ nut hugging... just LOOK at Yair. Who the hell has BJ fought and defeated in his career who is athletic, explosive , skilled, and deadly as Yair ?

Who ? Pulver? Stevenson? Sherk? Sanchez?

Give me a break. It's like BJ fanboys can't accept the fact that BJ was great for his time when fighters often had full time jobs and MMA gyms where no were near as refined as the fighter labs that exist now.

Put another way : can you honestly say with a straight face even a 100% prime BJ Penn could have done ANYTHING against a modern fine tuned deadly fighter like Yair ?

I wish people would take off thier rose tinted glasses and accept the fact BJ was never as great as people make him out to be. He's been surpassed multiple times over by a plethora of fighters.

GSP is a great example of a fighter who evolved with the times and had the skill and ability to keep up with the current landscape. BJ Penn never had the skills to compete with today's breed of fighter. He just never did. He was just at the right place at the right time

Er, GSP. Edgar. Gomi. Hughes. Wtf are you even talking about??

"Has Penn EVER fought anyone as good as Yair"

Nah he only moved up in weight and defeated one of the most dominant champs and best WW at the time in Matt Hughes...gtfo retard

Ive always wanted Yari vs Choi

Choi has great timing and went far with just that alone, but the Swanson fight showed how poor his actual boxing fundamentals are

Head always on the center, poor defensive responsibility when exiting

Choi was simply a fighter who was great at timing opponents coming in with the right straight

All it took for Swanson to neautralize his timing was fients - and level changes into come up hooks.

Swanson would fient and then back Choi up against the fence with hooks - then flurry while Choi had his back stuck to the fence

All this talk of Choi being like Conor

LOL

Conor has legit elite pro level boxing, countering and footwork

Choi couldnt even display amaturish boxing

Conor is someone who wouldve counter fucked you coming in, circled off the fence, or tied you up on his terms to stiffle and then work you over in-tight with body shots and or elbows

Again, Choi was only ever about timing you stepping in...and simple fients disrupted all that for him...and then he would allow himself to get pressed against the fence with hooks and then stay on the fence and eat flurries

I was seriously shocked to see how AMATURE Choi was after all the hype he was getting "the next Conor"

Choi still needs to be fighting the top 10 and developing...let alone is even fit to hold Conor's month old jack strap. Conor is the greatest boxing based defensive counter puncher in MMA history

But yeah, I want to see Yari vs Choi just to see where Choi is really at...

because as we just went over - Choi is someone who wants to time an opponent coming in...and Yari has such an off beat rhythm that he could completely neutralize Choi's timing just by being himself...and then you have all the kicks of Yari etc

I think Yari would smoke Choi, but I would like to see it as a prospect vs prospect fight - and to see if Choi can improve and become more then what he is right now

Choi would have to dig deep to adjust because Yari is a terrible match up for him (hard to time/great at commanding kicking rage etc)

Neither Choi or Yari are even 5% as great as Conor though

Im very high on Yari..and feel strongly that Yari is the future of 145...but lets stop the BS...Conor is on another galaxtic level to everyone in MMA

Every time someone wins a fight "bu bu hes on Conor's level"

No

Yari is still a fantastic prospect though...and Yari is FAR FAR BETTER THEN CHOI

I cant wait to see Yari continue to develop. The kid has all kinds of amazing potential
Well said bro...

I think you're right that Yair would school Choi... (if he can take Choi's power) for that reason I don't want to see that fight yet. I want them to develop & fight later when they've ironed out some of the holes in their game.

Everyone wants the red panty night until they step in there with Mac. lol. & it's really easy for haterz to over look his skill because they can bash on his hype train... but on the real... just watch him fight. lol... most of the haterz out there would switch to team McGregor instantly if they knew even a little bit about what the f*ck they were witnessing.

Forget all the BJ nut hugging... just LOOK at Yair. Who the hell has BJ fought and defeated in his career who is athletic, explosive , skilled, and deadly as Yair ?

Who ? Pulver? Stevenson? Sherk? Sanchez?

Give me a break. It's like BJ fanboys can't accept the fact that BJ was great for his time when fighters often had full time jobs and MMA gyms where no were near as refined as the fighter labs that exist now.

Put another way : can you honestly say with a straight face even a 100% prime BJ Penn could have done ANYTHING against a modern fine tuned deadly fighter like Yair ?

I wish people would take off thier rose tinted glasses and accept the fact BJ was never as great as people make him out to be. He's been surpassed multiple times over by a plethora of fighters.

GSP is a great example of a fighter who evolved with the times and had the skill and ability to keep up with the current landscape. BJ Penn never had the skills to compete with today's breed of fighter. He just never did. He was just at the right place at the right time

It's easy to shit on fighters after they've lost huh?

You know why?

I know absolutely nothing about fighting, and Anderson is a basic and amateur counterstriker created by media? Wow. You really schooled me there...

You're an idiot. Also Bj was robbed against Frankie the first time and he's still beating everyone in the division but Aldo. training methods have changed but fighting is fighting. It hasnt evolved no matter how much you want to believe it has, Bj is just old and shopworn. This is a young mans game
Lol at BJ being robbed in the first fight. He got pieced up in the second and not to mention the third. The first fight could have gone either way though. He wasn't robbed.

Lol at BJ being robbed in the first fight. He got pieced up in the second and not to mention the third. The first fight could have gone either way though. He wasn't robbed.
49-46 playa, he definitely was robbed. And yes, the 2nd and 3rd were bad

Why do people keep bringing up the machida fight? It was a low risk high reward fight in a promotion with zero drug testing and only two weight classes against and equally bloated middleweight who also happened to be as green as grass at that point with only a handful of fight experience.

Neither where "heavyweights" it's like me who is 5'8" ballooning up to 206 pounds and figating another fat ass and saying we fought at "heavyweight"

And people always bring up that fight like BJ went toe to toe a d life and death with some gigantic sumo wrestler. I love seeing the, "bro, BJ fought Mahcida at HW, nuff said" posts by idiot casuals that's only Sherdog fight finder'd the fight, or saw a glimpse of it in a bj Penn highlight.

Y'all do realize BJ made it the most boring and unwatchable grab and hold against the rope for dear life type of fight ever, and there were almost no striking exchnages, besides a few here and there, right?

If anything, it was an extremely green, and somewhat out of shape Machida that probably just trained a few weeks for the fight, and a super blown up BJ that went into the fight to flat out grapple fuck him to make it to the end of the fight.

People really need to stop acting like it was amazing David vs Goliath, BJ took hellacious shots from a HW killer, and almost died in there type of fight, like Silva vs Cro Cop 2 lol. Silva can actually claim he fought a legit HW killer at his peak of destruction without solely grapple fucking him, and fighting him straight up like a norml fight, and he paid dearly for that fight.

But onto the subject. I've always thought BJ was overrated by his fanaticss, but still a terrific fighter iin his prime, and always maintained no version of BJ would've ever beaten Jose Also at any weight class he came in. IAlso, never thought he could've been as dominant in the more modern era of the LAW division when the division had guys like Bendo, prime Gil, Thomson, Greene, etc.

And right now, I don't think BJ would beat anyone in the top 5 at LW. Don't have the current top 5 rankings in front of me ATM, so don't hold me to that statement, be sure therwe be a guy in there where I'd go, oh shit, BJ could for sure beats him, but off the top of my head, the top 55LWs right now would probably beat him handily during his prime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back