FINAL FANTASY Discussion, Which is the best in the series?

What are your top 3 Final Fantasy titles?

• Total voters
Man I wish this was on XBONE..

Whose picking it up??

IX would be my favorite if not by two complaints, Zidane is terrible and I hate I can't remove him from the party, the last boss sucks.

So, my three favorites are VII, VIII and XII.

Honorable mention to FFT A2 because I played the hell out of that game on the NDS.

Man I wish this was on XBONE..

Whose picking it up??

absolutely

XII was the most enjoyable FF for me as a first-time playthrough. it has the best world map (ivalice) in the series, and a perfect battle system to accommodate it. no random encounters/segmented battle screens made for seamless exploration and most importantly the world map was done to scale

ivalice obliterates X's "world" in this regard, which was more so a series of independent levels that your airship could take you to. in terms of character/level design, X is hideous compared to XII - i compare them because they're on the same console. and for the being the first game without uematsu its OST doesn't miss a beat

i think it's technically the best game in the series although it doesn't quite have the "fantasy" feel that the others do. partly because of that, VII and VIII being my other favorites in the series have the far better replay value

IX would be my favorite if not by two complaints, Zidane is terrible and I hate I can't remove him from the party, the last boss sucks

Word.

I remember beating Kuja as a kid, and thinking I had beat the game, only for it to throw this stupidly cheap hunk of shit at me right after. I was so angry. I don't remember beating him either. I think I tried him a few times, and then just gave up after he mopped the floor with me every single time with his cheesy ass bullshit. Ruined the whole game for me.

I cried at the end of 8 and 10.

tumblr_nwvtvrIrvq1sjiojbo1_500.gif

<mma1>

GUESS WHICH ONE I LIKE BOYS

BRB Most intriguing story in the series, which doesn't spell things out for you

BRB Best ending in the entire series

BRB Best intro in the entire series

BRB Best music in the entire series

BRB Middle of the best ERA in the entire series

BRB Best Mini-Game in the entire series

absolutely

XII was the most enjoyable FF for me as a first-time playthrough. it has the best world map (ivalice) in the series, and a perfect battle system to accommodate it. no random encounters/segmented battle screens made for seamless exploration and most importantly the world map was done to scale

ivalice obliterates X's "world" in this regard, which was more so a series of independent levels that your airship could take you to. in terms of character/level design, X is hideous compared to XII - i compare them because they're on the same console. and for the being the first game without uematsu its OST doesn't miss a beat

i think it's technically the best game in the series although it doesn't quite have the "fantasy" feel that the others do. partly because of that, VII and VIII being my other favorites in the series have the far better replay value

My second favorite. Bought the game last night. All the new stuff looks awesome. Already dumped 80-100 hours into the original, time for another.

6 and 7 is the only answer.

GUESS WHICH ONE I LIKE BOYS

BRB Most intriguing story in the series, which doesn't spell things out for you

BRB Best ending in the entire series

BRB Best intro in the entire series

BRB Best music in the entire series

BRB Middle of the best ERA in the entire series

BRB Best Mini-Game in the entire series

its literally none of those things

My heart goes out to 8 and 10. Especially 10.

7 started it all for me, but I've spent the most time trying to perfect 10 and didn't get anywhere near close to finishing it 100%.

15 was probably the most emotional I've ever gotten with a video game though. I love how they still can tug at the feels with this series.

I started replaying 8 a while ago. Got too busy to get into it. Started it up again this week, proper.

I'd like to know how many people still hate it to this day, simply because of their childhood memories of it being such a departure from FFVII, and it leaving a bad taste in their mouth.

Playing it now, with fresh eyes and judging it as it is, it ain't that bad. The combat, and the whole "junction" system that I didn't really understand when I was younger, actually works really well. I also like the "realistic" character models, and the environments and music are great. The characters are all well defined and distinct, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the modern games. I can't comment too much on the story so far(only about 10 hours in), but it's working, and has that FF adventure hook. All in all, it's pretty damn good.

I think this was a game that truly suffered, and is the black sheep of the franchise's golden years, simply because of the "GOAT" reputation of it's predecessor. It's really not that bad.

I started replaying 8 a while ago. Got too busy to get into it. Started it up again this week, proper.

I'd like to know how many people still hate it to this day, simply because of their childhood memories of it being such a departure from FFVII, and it leaving a bad taste in their mouth.

Playing it now, with fresh eyes and judging it as it is, it ain't that bad. The combat, and the whole "junction" system that I didn't really understand when I was younger, actually works really well. I also like the "realistic" character models, and the environments and music are great. The characters are all well defined and distinct, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the modern games. I can't comment too much on the story so far(only about 10 hours in), but it's working, and has that FF adventure hook. All in all, it's pretty damn good.

I think this was a game that truly suffered, and is the black sheep of the franchise's golden years, simply because of the "GOAT" reputation of it's predecessor. It's really not that bad.

some people still hold a grudge against VIII to this day because they didn't understand the junction system. it has its drawbacks, but that's not reason enough to miss out on a fantastic game

on paper it objectively improved on VII in most areas. it just can't compete with VII in the more abstract sense like impact and atmosphere

Final Fantasy 8 is absolutely fantastic. That was the first game I got on a Playstation and it was such a huge upgrade for me over the other consoles. I prefered the junction system to the materia and the spell system in 9. I actually enjoyed blue mage farming items to max stats and items. The story was also really good.

I am playing Heavensword now and I actually hate the story and how grindy the game feels.

I'm one of them. Didn't really like it when I first bought it. Came back to it like 10 years later, and like an acquired taste I now think it's a great entry in the FF series. Just never had the time to play through it the 2nd time around though, but I developed an appreciation for it.

Last edited:
In order for me

VII, X, VI, VIII, XV.

Tactics is just different. Badass but different.

8, I've finished that game maybe 20 times, 18x with gameshark

My first FF was FF2/4 on SNES in the early 90s, wasn't even a fan of RPGs but that game pulled me right in. I tried FF1 I think after I beat 4 but didn't like it. FF6 though is my all time favorite just due to the combo of story, fantastic characters, and just overall environment. FF7 is in my top 3 with 4 and 6. Tried FF8, didn't like it, or 9 and they have seemed to progressively get worse as far as story and character development goes.

If Chrono Trigger can be considered as a final fantasy, then it is the greatest final fantasy ever.

I would say 6 or 7.

Really into the thick of it on FFVIII now. I'm about 25 hours in, and now the real cracks of the Junction/Magic system are starting to show. It was fun at first, but man, the magic farming it's getting tedious. Even now that I understand it(sort of), it's still a bitch. It's also frustrating trying to fight normally, when you know that a few GF summons can end most any fight. You only keep drawing magic, because you just know that you're eventually going to run into that one boss fight where it really matters.

Also can't stand how weapons are upgraded. In all my time played so far, I've found a couple of magazines with blueprints, but the key items to upgrade weapons are so incredibly scarce. I have like a million M-Stones or whatever, but very little of anything else to combine them with. I've only upgraded like two weapons total, and it's really getting annoying. I'm at the point where I feel I'm missing something, and I'm not doing something properly. Whatever.

Still a good game though, with a fun story. It hasn't really thrown any difficulty spikes in my way, but I know it's coming. I know I'm going to hit that one boss that rapes me, and I'm not going to know why.

Me going into a boss fight:

giphy.gif

Back