FINAL FANTASY Discussion, Which is the best in the series?

What are your top 3 Final Fantasy titles?

• Total voters
IX would be my favorite if not by two complaints, Zidane is terrible and I hate I can't remove him from the party, the last boss sucks.

So, my three favorites are VII, VIII and XII.

Honorable mention to FFT A2 because I played the hell out of that game on the NDS.
Maybe it's just me but how can you complain about FF 9's protagonist and then put FF 12 as one of your favorites? Vaan has got to be one of the weakest FF protagonists ever.

Hardest boss for me was the wall monster in the Temple of Ancients.

Oh' my God, yes. First boss that introduced me to the "grinding" aspect of an RPG. You're going along a nice brisk pace, then you get to this point in the game, where it makes makes you fight two bosses in a row. You beat the dragon boss with relative ease, and then this fucking guy just wrecks your shit. FFVII was one of my first JRPG's, so I didn't really grind at all, because I didn't think it was necessary since I was beating everything.

After that boss destroyed me a few times, I spent a good eight hours just running in a circle at the beginning of the dungeon, grinding myself up to the point where I nearly had all my limit breaks maxed out. Even after that though, that boss was still a bit of a bitch, and I just beat him by the skin of my teeth. That guy was a dick, and probably the hardest boss in the game, other than Sephiroth, and the side bosses.

Maybe it's just me but how can you complain about FF 9's protagonist and then put FF 12 as one of your favorites? Vaan has got to be one of the weakest FF protagonists ever.
I can give the Masamune to Vaan, berserk him and no one stands in my way. Zidane is useless.

I can give the Masamune to Vaan, berserk him and no one stands in my way. Zidane is useless.
I meant in terms of personality. I probably should have clarified that haha.

I meant in terms of personality. I probably should have clarified that haha.
Oh, yes. He is crap, I don't even remember what Vaan's history is, or anything he said lol. Zidane is much better than him and a lot other characters in that regard.

Oh, yes. He is crap, I don't even remember what Vaan's history is, or anything he said lol. Zidane is much better than him and a lot other characters in that regard.
He wants to be a Sky Pirate or something from what I remember. Basch should have been the main protagonist imo, but at least you can swap Vaan out if you don't like him.

I liked all but one of 9's playable characters tbh and I'm sure people can guess that one.

Oh' my God, yes. First boss that introduced me to the "grinding" aspect of an RPG. You're going along a nice brisk pace, then you get to this point in the game, where it makes makes you fight two bosses in a row. You beat the dragon boss with relative ease, and then this fucking guy just wrecks your shit. FFVII was one of my first JRPG's, so I didn't really grind at all, because I didn't think it was necessary since I was beating everything.

After that boss destroyed me a few times, I spent a good eight hours just running in a circle at the beginning of the dungeon, grinding myself up to the point where I nearly had all my limit breaks maxed out. Even after that though, that boss was still a bit of a bitch, and I just beat him by the skin of my teeth. That guy was a dick, and probably the hardest boss in the game, other than Sephiroth, and the side bosses.

Yeah it's been a while since i've played but I always remember that boss wrecking me with physical attacks. Made it so I got smart and started casting Barrier and I was able to get by him. Instead of just trying to plow my way through the battle.

6 and 7 were the apex of the series in my opinion. In fact, I recently played the mobile version of FF6 and it was great.

11 was the best if you're into MMO's. Which I was at the time. So many great memories and friendships from that game.

He wants to be a Sky Pirate or something from what I remember. Basch should have been the main protagonist imo, but at least you can swap Vaan out if you don't like him.

I liked all but one of 9's playable characters tbh and I'm sure people can guess that one.

Orignally Basch was the main protagonist but the higher ups wanted Vaan and Penelo to be the point of view characters instead, they felt a younger set of main characters would be better for a younger audience than an older one like Basch.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/7/5/15916862/the-making-of-final-fantasy-12

To pick a favorite FF is entirely subjective. They all offer something of value.
Personally, my favorite and also my all time favorite game is FF X

I think 6 is the best and wish they would remake. but my favorite is 9

Supply and demand. Not many FF8 die hards out there, clamoring for a release. 9 and 7 will always get priority.

Plus supposedly the Steam version of 8 is still based on the original PC release (midi soundtrack)compared to the updated 7+9 versions, plus it has chocobo world built into it also

People were hating on the OSt for FFXV including Angry Joe. Da fuq? Shit is legendary.

I started replaying 8 a while ago. Got too busy to get into it. Started it up again this week, proper.

I'd like to know how many people still hate it to this day, simply because of their childhood memories of it being such a departure from FFVII, and it leaving a bad taste in their mouth.

Playing it now, with fresh eyes and judging it as it is, it ain't that bad. The combat, and the whole "junction" system that I didn't really understand when I was younger, actually works really well. I also like the "realistic" character models, and the environments and music are great. The characters are all well defined and distinct, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the modern games. I can't comment too much on the story so far(only about 10 hours in), but it's working, and has that FF adventure hook. All in all, it's pretty damn good.

I think this was a game that truly suffered, and is the black sheep of the franchise's golden years, simply because of the "GOAT" reputation of it's predecessor. It's really not that bad.

7 to 10 are the games i played in the series and bought 15 and will start that soon.

I liked the materia system in 7, liked the limit system and the card game in 8. I just enjoyed 7-10, all had their ups and downs

Back