Fedor speaks up about about a fight with Cain Velasquez

Here's the way i see it:

There's an obvious gap of skills between a 2003-2005 Fedor and a current day Cain Velasquez.

Fedor at his peak actually passed his tests better than Cain. They both fought a large striker when they were working their way up to the top. Fedor fought Schilt, Cain fought Kongo. Both outgrappled and defeated their opponents, but the difference is that Cain was dropped twice while Fedor dominated that fight completely.

When they both faced an elite striker with TD defense (Crocop/JDS), Fedor won decisively, while Cain was KO'd and needed two more fights more in order to prove he was better, and when he did, it was in a terrible sloppy brawl in which both fighters gassed in less than 2-3 rounds.

These are nothing but little signs, not as for who would win the fight, but about their skills as fighters. Fedor was more skilled than Cain, and far more well rounded. That's just evident. He was also visibly faster and more powerful, a better striker and better overall grappler.

Now Cain defeated Bigfoot, who defeated a nearly retired Fedor, but that really doesn't say much other than Fedor being far past his peak, while Cain was/is probably in his. Basicly the same as Ali losing to Berbrick and Tyson defeating him. It doesn't really say much about how would Ali and Tyson match. MMAth has proven to be useless countless times.

Now when it comes to a fight, could Cain had outwrestled Fedor at his peak to win a decision?

Perhaps, but not likely. Thowing 500 "pillow fists" (and by this i mean he's a volume puncher, more than a power puncher) per round would leave Fedor with too many openings to catch him with a sub. Fedor had too many tools at his disposal off his back: subs, sweeps, great hips, excellent defense from the bottom, etc. Cain's GnP is all about volume of punches, he's not that powerful, nor he cares about picking his shots. Problem is, Fedor, was extremely hard to gnp. In fact before 2009, he never received any significant damage while on his back. He was also very durable. Cain wouldn't finish a prime Fedor, yet Fedor could finish him, anywhere.

The stand-up isn't even close. Fedor was clearly better; faster, more powerful, more explosive, more accurate, more unpredictable, etc. He lands a bomb on that chin and Cain goes down. Cain has been rocked/dropped several times already, and Fedor was a hard puncher and very explossive. I don't think Cain would pose much of a threat in this department, not even if he mixed it up. Fedor wasn't afraid to be on his back, and he would also mix his striking with upper body takedowns, and he did this very quickly.

Cain is a fighter that comes foward and likes to dictate where the fight goes, but so was Fedor, and a fighter like him wouldn't let Cain fight his fight, he would come at him and pressure him as well. Cain has shown most of the times he has good cardio, but last two times vs. JDS he was breathing heavy inside 2-3 rounds and while he was throwing a lot of punches, they weren't that powerful. Problem is, neither JDS, Kongo, Brock, Rothwell etc. had the skills to capitalize on Cain's mistakes while on the ground, but Fedor did.

Bottom line, I'd think Fedor's chances to win would've been clearly superior, as he had a lot more tools at his disposal to win and/or finish the fight, and was clearly a better overall fighter.

I approve this assessment.

Prime Fedor destroys Cain.

This is the crap why fedor has so many haters his fans are the most ignorant ppl on earth. Prime fedor had faster hands but Cain has taken ever man down. Do you really believe fedor who got taken down several times is an exception?

Here's the way i see it:

There's an obvious gap of skills between a 2003-2005 Fedor and a current day Cain Velasquez.

Fedor at his peak actually passed his tests better than Cain. They both fought a large striker when they were working their way up to the top. Fedor fought Schilt, Cain fought Kongo. Both outgrappled and defeated their opponents, but the difference is that Cain was dropped twice while Fedor dominated that fight completely.

When they both faced an elite striker with TD defense (Crocop/JDS), Fedor won decisively, while Cain was KO'd and needed two more fights more in order to prove he was better, and when he did, it was in a terrible sloppy brawl in which both fighters gassed in less than 2-3 rounds.

These are nothing but little signs, not as for who would win the fight, but about their skills as fighters. Fedor was more skilled than Cain, and far more well rounded. That's just evident. He was also visibly faster and more powerful, a better striker and better overall grappler.

Now Cain defeated Bigfoot, who defeated a nearly retired Fedor, but that really doesn't say much other than Fedor being far past his peak, while Cain was/is probably in his. Basicly the same as Ali losing to Berbrick and Tyson defeating him. It doesn't really say much about how would Ali and Tyson match. MMAth has proven to be useless countless times.

Now when it comes to a fight, could Cain had outwrestled Fedor at his peak to win a decision?

Perhaps, but not likely. Thowing 500 "pillow fists" (and by this i mean he's a volume puncher, more than a power puncher) per round would leave Fedor with too many openings to catch him with a sub. Fedor had too many tools at his disposal off his back: subs, sweeps, great hips, excellent defense from the bottom, etc. Cain's GnP is all about volume of punches, he's not that powerful, nor he cares about picking his shots. Problem is, Fedor, was extremely hard to gnp. In fact before 2009, he never received any significant damage while on his back. He was also very durable. Cain wouldn't finish a prime Fedor, yet Fedor could finish him, anywhere.

The stand-up isn't even close. Fedor was clearly better; faster, more powerful, more explosive, more accurate, more unpredictable, etc. He lands a bomb on that chin and Cain goes down. Cain has been rocked/dropped several times already, and Fedor was a hard puncher and very explossive. I don't think Cain would pose much of a threat in this department, not even if he mixed it up. Fedor wasn't afraid to be on his back, and he would also mix his striking with upper body takedowns, and he did this very quickly.

Cain is a fighter that comes foward and likes to dictate where the fight goes, but so was Fedor, and a fighter like him wouldn't let Cain fight his fight, he would come at him and pressure him as well. Cain has shown most of the times he has good cardio, but last two times vs. JDS he was breathing heavy inside 2-3 rounds and while he was throwing a lot of punches, they weren't that powerful. Problem is, neither JDS, Kongo, Brock, Rothwell etc. had the skills to capitalize on Cain's mistakes while on the ground, but Fedor did.

Bottom line, I'd think Fedor's chances to win would've been clearly superior, as he had a lot more tools at his disposal to win and/or finish the fight, and was clearly a better overall fighter.

I usually post this reply in response to troll threads but this time i'm being serious.
EXCELLENT MMA ANALYSIS.

As an addendum,
Cain always showed Fedor love , and Fedor did the same even before he retired. He favoured Cain in his JDS fight , even tough he got murked and everyone was laughing at Fedor's mma analysis.

In a RING in Pride in Fedor's prime, he was pretty much invincible for a time. Cain is that in the UFC cage right now.

I would still pay for the fight if it were to happen within the next year, even though Fedor would get mauled.. If he remembered how good he was at arm-bars (I guess he thinks they don't work in a cage) he would STILL have a chance.

fedor never lost in his prime.....

cain got KOED by a one dimensional fighter IN HIS VERY PRIME

BTW: i got fedor, he was too fast for cain and has elite ground game. and losing was nothing near an option during fedor

I dont know about "destroys" but I would have to think he would be the favourite. Cain is very good but he doesnt really do anything Prime Fedor hasnt already seen and beat.

Would be a thrilling fight though.

He is nothing like anyone Fedor has ever beaten. Get real. Fedor was subbing clueless wrestlers like Coleman and Randleman, and other one dimensional fighters. Cain would outwrestle Fedor, just like those guys did, but won't get subbed like them. Fedor is good at subbing Hammer House level fighters. Big fuckin deal.

Fedor has absolutely nothing for Cain, and I mean nothing.

This is the crap why fedor has so many haters his fans are the most ignorant ppl on earth. Prime fedor had faster hands but Cain has taken ever man down. Do you really believe fedor who got taken down several times is an exception?

in cain vs jds I, and during part of the second fight, cain failed to take jds down

i think fedor would rock cain on the feet to take him down and armbar him

round 1

I love Fedor, but I really think it would be a one sided fight in favor of Cain.

Meh, we all know Fedor wouldn't have stood a chance. If you can't beat Bigfoot in your prime then wanting to fight Cain is suicide.

Lol at the Bigfoot fight being fedors prime. He wasn't even prime when he embarrassed AA and timmeh

As much as I love watching Fedor, the science of training has evolved a lot since his time.
Best heavyweight in the world in the 2010's > best heavyweight in the world 2000's

Lol. I hope you're joking.... Surely you're joking

Ya I would like to know the same thing. A "prime" Fedor vs todays Cain would be the greatest fight of all time imo.
People have drooled over Fedor vs. "Whoever the UFC Heavyweight Champion is at the moment" forever.

He is nothing like anyone Fedor has ever beaten. Get real. Fedor was subbing clueless wrestlers like Coleman and Randleman, and other one dimensional fighters. Cain would outwrestle Fedor, just like those guys did, but won't get subbed like them. Fedor is good at subbing Hammer House level fighters. Big fuckin deal.

Fedor has absolutely nothing for Cain, and I mean nothing.

well, you seem clearly a fedor hater

dont forget that at the same time cain never showed any amazing sub defense skills, maybe he never needed to, but dont say shit like these

in cain vs jds I, and during part of the second fight, cain failed to take jds down

i think fedor would rock cain on the feet to take him down and armbar him

round 1

It's pretty hard to get a armbar when youre getting punched in the face. Cain is not a Coleman it a tiger white. He's a black belt with world class wrestling. Jds has the best tdd in the business and got smashed by Cain in fight back to back.

Fedor avoided signing with the UFC to make this fight happen, and now he wants to run his mouth?

fedor never lost in his prime.....

cain got KOED by a one dimensional fighter IN HIS VERY PRIME

BTW: i got fedor, he was too fast for cain and has elite ground game. and losing was nothing near an option during fedor

Cain would beat a prime Fedor, Fedor wasn't as great as you all thought, his many wins consisted of fighting 1D fighters and some cans.

Prime vs Prime
Fedor -245
Cain +205

Back