Favourite historical battle?

The Battle of Tours is a battle that we know next-to-nothing about except for the fact that it happened -- so we have no idea how it actually went down. Hell, we don't even know if the Franks were fighting an Umayyad raiding force or an actual Umayyad army.

Ah, the wonder of medieval chronicles.

Battle of Plataea doesn’t happen unless they win the battle of Salamis

Yeah. I'm just saying -- that as a battle -- Plataea was more interesting than Salamis.

Estimates of between 20-80k Moors but more likely 30k were there versus around 20k of Frankish/Burgundian forces. Also Charles won without cavalry which was very impressive regardless of any battle but especially against the Umayyad who had good heavy cavalry that had already decimated other Frankish forces a decade earlier. He basically used phalanx type of well trained heavy infantry to stop the cavalry charges while also being uphil and having the forest as cover. He outmaneuvered and outsmarted Rahman who was a good commander.

The Moors got greedy as they heard that the Franks were attacking their base camp and stealing their loot so they began to withdraw to save their booty and in the ensuing chaos Rahman was killed and thus ended the battle.

I don't remember the excact arguments but the details surrounding the Battle of Tours are of much controversy among historians (if it was a raid/army, it's political ramifications, the strategy used, etc). I'm mainly refeering to historian Dick Harrison's "The Era of Warriors and Saints: Western European History 400-800" when I'm saying this. The wikipedia article on the Battle of Tours quotes historian Victor David Hanson for it's information. Victor David Hanson... is... let's say... extremely controversial as far as historians go.

Frankly I think that Victor David Hanson has writen some of the most laughable claptrap that has ever been passed of as serious historical studies. I haven't read what he wrote about the Battle of Tours, but the stuff that he has written about, say, Ancient Greece is just gobsmackingly unproffesional and incompetent.

it was actually pretty genius, in that the entire book/movie is intentionally told in hyperbole (from a characters pov) as people are prone to do.

That’s a good point. The movie retells the story the way it has been passed down.

Last edited:
Stalingrad and Ardennes Offensive.

For air combat Operation Bolo was the tits.

Hannibal at Cannae.

The two battles before that when he first invaded Italy - brilliant ambushes too.

Do they even teach them in schools? That Negros was independent for a year until the Americans took over. And you know Americans don't want free Negros.

They dont teach that Battle of Negros in Schools even to this day.

Negros is always under appreciated

Casey Siemaszko vs Richard Tyson.

And that is why they hate imperial manila.
Well they now have their Emperor in Manila!

I think we should go full Feudalism, and have an Imperial government.

So you can teach your kids to aspire to become emperors.

"Pag laki ko gusto ko maging Emperador"

I used to love this show Decisive Battles which utilized the Rome:Total War engine to recreate ancient battles. Matthew Settle aka Lt. Speirs from Band of Brothers was the narrator for it. It's outdated and in SD but it was awesome. They covered some great battles.

The Gauls sacking Rome. The Romans were so terrified of the Celts doing their banzai charges many supposedly rushed into the river and drowned. When they were being paid off to leave Rome and debating over the bounty on the scale the leader of the Gauls threw his sword on the scale and uttered the famous line " Vae Victus" IE " Woe to the fallen."

. The many invasions of the so called " Sea people" including their battles with Egypt.

. The conquistadors taking of Mexico City especially Cortes running up the damn pyramid like Jet li in The One and smacking off all the Aztecs.

.Teutoburg forest

. The Apache Spanish/ Mexican wars. Always amazed me how incredibly fierce the Apache people had to have been to uproot a better equipped military more than once.

2017s

Battle of the Bastards

Battle of the Ants
https://americanliterature.com/author/henry-david-thoreau/essay/the-battle-of-the-ants
maxresdefault.jpg

That is savage as fuck

<30>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back