Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mine would have to be the Battle of Gaugamela

Alex_Mosaic_small.jpg

What about you guys?

Thermopalye

Well, until the Spartans lost.

Phalanx vs Roman Legion, battle of Cynoscephalae
Very good choice, that was an important battle and demonstrated the flexibility of the Roman Legion compared to the Macedonian Phalanx.

Last edited:
Victory of the Americans over burgoyne at Saratoga

Battle of marathon.

Joan of Arc`s victory

I made this thred a few years ago, and it got really interesting. I endd up reading a book about the crusades and fall of Constantinople. Hope this thread delivers too.

for me:

The 2nd battel of Kharkov- maybe the best example of mobile defence against a much larger attacker

Seige of Detroit in Poniac's War

Vimy Ridge- bias beign canadian and all but our first real, major independent battle and great example of coordination

I made this thred a few years ago, and it got really interesting. I endd up reading a book about the crusades and fall of Constantinople. Hope this thread delivers too.

for me:

The 2nd battel of Kharkov- maybe the best example of mobile defence against a much larger attacker

Seige of Detroit in Poniac's War

Vimy Ridge- bias beign canadian and all but our first real, major independent battle and great example of coordination
I read about the Fall of Constantinople years ago, it's really interesting and one of the most important battles in history.

Very good choice, that was an important battle and demonstrated the flexibility of the Roman Legion of the Macedonian Phalanx.

I love to imagine the way it must have looked to both sides before the battle began. Each side in their incredible, complex formations. The Romans, confident but weary of the Greek reputation. The Greeks looking at something totally new, wondering what to make of it.

Mine would have to be the Battle of Gaugamela

Alex_Mosaic_small.jpg

What about you guys?
Nice pic, as someone who loves Alexander's conquests that would be my favorite too. The Siege of Tyre is right up there also.

Since that is taken as well as Thermopylae and Saratoga I might have to go with Cannae when Hannibal slaughtered the Romans or Alesia where Caesar smashed the Gauls. Tactically those are all time greats.

However, my number 1 overall as far as having massive impact on a large stage I'd have to go with the Battle of Tours with Charles the Hammer saving Europe from being conquered by the Muslims Umayyad Caliphate.

There are so many awesome ones to choose from.

Nice pic, as someone who loves Alexander's conquests that would be my favorite too. The Siege of Tyre is right up there also.

Since that is taken as well as Thermopylae and Saratoga I might have to go with Cannae when Hannibal slaughtered the Romans or Alesia where Caesar smashed the Gauls. Tactically those are all time greats.

However, my number 1 overall as far as having massive impact on a large stage I'd have to go with the Battle of Tours with Charles the Hammer saving Europe from being conquered by the Muslims Umayyad Caliphate.

There are so many awesome ones to choose from.
The Siege of Tyre was the one where they used that humongous siege tower right? I would have loved to see that

1916, Battle of Verdun - savage
1944, Battle of the Bulge - Patton's Fair-Weather Prayer

Back