Favorite MMA submission

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'll be honest this is a totally selfish post... I've only been a hardcore mma fan for 3 years but have watched tons of old fights on fight pass. What are sherdoggers favorite fights that have ended in a submission victory ? I've watched tons of big nog, Gracie, Maia, Mir, Jacare and other all time wrestling/BJJ studs. Please let me know what fights I can watch to enhance my MMA knowledge with a focus on the ground game! Thanks (and you're welcome for a post that wasn't focused on mcgregor or GSP)

I guess...Chonan vs Anderson.

Edgar vs Swanson. Edgar dominated and got the finish before time ran out. Meisha choking out Holly was good also.

These are just subs I enjoyed. Not really ground fights

Edgar vs Swanson. Edgar dominated and got the finish before time ran out. Meisha choking out Holly was good also.

These are just subs I enjoyed. Not really ground fights
Yea I watched Tate/holm live and it was a hell of a finish even tho holm was winning the fight. Thanks for Edgar/Swanson... will check out tonight!
EDIT: what a hell of a performance by Edgar, cub was so gassed he tapped in like 1.5 seconds when Frankie put That choke on him. Thanks man it was worth the watch

Last edited:
I swear on your baby's momma if Anthony Pettis wasn't so dam bloody and slippery he would've pulled off a slick ass submission on Dustin Poirer.

If you know all of the backstory,Tate submitting Holm was one of the most dramatic submissions ever to win the belt (yes, she lost it right after. I know).

But from competing for over a decade to being in wmma before it was even really big to just as she’s about to rise to the top, Rousey came out of nowhere and getting all the glory for wmma. Then Tate losing twice to Rousey to playing gatekeeper to number two and three contenders for two years while Rousey fought the 7th and 8th placed fighter to being passed over for a title shot that went to Holmes to watch Holmes beat the girl she couldn’t to contemplating retirement after being passed over...again to getting a title shot to getting her ass handed to her for much of the five round fight to only having two minutes left on the clock to finally just saying”fuck it” and going for a takedown and getting Holme back dramatically to getting the hooks in to getting the choke in to Holm not tapping to Holm throwing punches in mid air as she is getting checked out uncouncious. Finally Tate wins her UFC belt which was her goal. Yes she lost it the next fight. But for high drama, you can’t beat Tate’s sub of Holm. Shit was bananas.

The Chris Weidman 2017 game changer.

Animation5788.gif

If you know all of the backstory,Tate submitting Holm was one of the most dramatic submissions ever to win the belt (yes, she lost it right after. I know).

But from competing for over a decade to being in wmma before it was even really big to just as she’s about to rise to the top, Rousey came out of nowhere and getting all the glory for wmma. Then Tate losing twice to Rousey to playing gatekeeper to number two and three contenders for two years while Rousey fought the 7th and 8th placed fighter to being passed over for a title shot that went to Holmes to watch Holmes beat the girl she couldn’t to contemplating retirement after being passed over...again to getting a title shot to getting her ass handed to her for much of the five round fight to only having two minutes left on the clock to finally just saying”fuck it” and going for a takedown and getting Holme back dramatically to getting the hooks in to getting the choke in to Holm not tapping to Holm throwing punches in mid air as she is getting checked out uncouncious. Finally Tate wins her UFC belt which was her goal. Yes she lost it the next fight. But for high drama, you can’t beat Tate’s sub of Holm. Shit was bananas.
Can't argue with any of this brother. I'm not gonna act like I've been watching mma for 15 years... the first fight I ever ordered was 194 and I've only missed 4 ppv's since then and have done tons of research on fightpass to make myself a knowledgable voice on sherdog. I was a total noob when this fight happened and was definitely going for holm in this fight but when Tate finished her it was undeniably awesome.

Tony Ferguson is one of my favorite fighters to watch on the ground. And Werdum. My favorite submissions are anything Royce, Brett John's calf slicer and DJ modified suplex to armbar. I started watching 3 years ago as well

Diaz vs Gomi. Pride 33
One of my favs. After watching tons of fights on UFC fightpass honestly Gomi is my favorite lightweight of all time. Wish he got more love on these forums. Thanks for mentioning him even if it was a loss (or NC lol)

Back