Favorite Books

I love James Ellroy, all of these books are awesome. I'd also add American Tabloid which is possibly my favourite of his books.
Yeah he's a sick cunt. I even named my dog wendell bud white.

I've only read those four and the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy. Got all his books just got to get around to reading them

I really wish hbo would make a series out of the la quartet

Confederacy of Dunces is a really fun read.

The Hyperion Cantos is amazing far future sci-fi (which isn't a genre I delve into too much but that series hooked me quickly.)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is hilarious.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is really intriguing.

The Prophet is great philosophy and life lesson material.

Infinite Jest is the best book I've ever read but that one is a real undertaking and something you have to just stick with for the first hundred pages or so for things to start falling into place. But it's amazing material once it all starts coming together.

Charles Bukowski's novels are all good. My personal favorite by him is 'Post Office.' ' American Psycho' by Brett Easton Ellis is fantastic as well.

The Stand took me a couple of years to get through and almost turned me off of Stephen King.

I would recommend Salem's Lot and Pet Sematary and if you like them The Shining, Doctor Sleep and IT are also good.

Everyone seems to like The Stand but it was a chore for me to get through for some reason.

I like your taste in books bro.

Altered Carbon is excellent if you're into cyberpunk (and why wouldn't you be)

Catch-22 is great if you like absurdist satire. Or for a more grounded take on war, The Things They Carried.

I am a big fan of Haruki Murakami. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore, and 1Q84 are some of his best.
I really enjoyed all three Kovacs novels. But my first foray into Richard K. Morgan's work was his Land Fit For Kings trilogy, which is fantasy, and holy fucking balls Batman, that series is incredible.

My favorite fiction is The Three Musketeers. I reread it once a year. But most of what I read consists of fantasy series. Malazan, Ice and Fire, First Law, etc.

The Stand is awesome! Anything by SK is awesome IMHO.

Would recommend:
Brave New World and The Island
To Kill a Mocking Bird
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Trial and Metamorphosis by Kafka
The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum
House of Leaves by Danielewski

The Last question - Isaac Asimov

It's a short story so you can read it in one sitting on the shitter.

I pretty much exclusively read scifi so if you're into that sort of thing here's what I'd recommend:

Enders Game
Old Mans War
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Rendezvous with Rama

I really enjoyed all three Kovacs novels. But my first foray into Richard K. Morgan's work was his Land Fit For Kings trilogy, which is fantasy, and holy fucking balls Batman, that series is incredible.

My favorite fiction is The Three Musketeers. I reread it once a year. But most of what I read consists of fantasy series. Malazan, Ice and Fire, First Law, etc.
Yeah Morgan is one of my heroes now. Edit: did not know that trilogy had a formal title!

Three Musketeers has been on my list for a while. Count of Monte Cristo was pretty cool.

Watership Down
Perfume

I like all 3 lord of the rings

Through the eyes of the dragon and 11/22/63 by King

Watchers and twighlight eyes by Koontz

We seem to have similar tastes lol the ones in bold I'm a huge fan of...

To OP:
I've broken my recommendations down into half-assed categories
Horror/sci-fi horror
I really dont dig on King as much as most, at least his whole novels, he gets pretty dry for me for some reason, I love his short stories and a few of his novels, and want to try a lot more of them. I grew up reading Dean Koontz and love TONS of his stuff, but especially:
Twilight Eyes: A story set in the 1960's carnival scene about a psychic boy on the run who can see some people aren't what they seem.
Dragon Tears: Partner detectives and others hunt down a telekinetic foe who attacks them with amazing and inventive means.
The Frankenstein Series: A modern sequel kind of to mary shelly's masterpiece.
The Taking: (creepiest book I ever read) about either an alien invasion or the end of the world...or both..
Intensity: A girl finds herself locked in a serial killer's RV without him being aware...very tense book
Odd Thomas series: Young adult sees ghosts "but then does something about it" great series that was turned into a pretty ok movie as well. (series loses it's way at the end a little, but the first ones are home runs and the rest worth reading to see where Koontz goes with it)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
The Expanse: Probably my favorite sci-fi at the moment, is now a pretty good series on the syfy network, but the books are incredible. space drama/horror at its finest imo
The Dark Elf Series: kinda like Lord of the Rings if it was fast moving and funnier. Drizzt is one of the iconic D&D fantasy type characters and his story is pretty great. R.A. Salvatore wrote them and he is great.
The Half Orcs by David Dalglish: one of my favorite series that is pretty much unknown. the characters are not black and white and do some terrible things, but you still pull for them and want them to do well. It's about a pair of half-orc twins.
Darth Bane Trilogy and Thrawn series: If you like Star Wars at all read these books, they're fantastic.
Wool: A series of short novels about live in an underground silo after the apocolypse. Great, fast reads.
Year of the Rogue Dragon Trilogy by Richard Lee Byers- If you like dragons, this books got tons of em lol and other fun characters too
Eragon series: I know they're a little juvenile, but I liked them. Movie was a disaster.

Classics (old books)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelly or Dracula by Bram Stoker or Invisible Man by H.G. Wells ( I just love classic horror)
Lord of the Flies by William Golding-
A plane full of british school boys crashes leaving them alone on an island and tells how they create their own little society.
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury- in a future where books are banned and burned and houses are fire-proof, firemen's new job is to find books and burn them. Main character, Guy Montag is one such fireman.
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson- The birthplace of all zombie stories imo, no movie has still got it right, including the reason the book is named what it is. Great fast read.
Slaughterhouse Five: Great, classic book...can't really describe it lol, it's weird.
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Action/Adventure/other
Jack Reacher series: Someone already mentioned em, but they really are fast paced, exciting reads.
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk- Almost a cliche suggestion, but it really is fantastic. Some of Palahniuks other stuff is great as well.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson: Actually anything by Thompson, but this is the go-to.
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaimon Norse mythological stories organized in short story, book fashion, and its fantastic. STory of Odin losing his eye, Thor getting his hammer, or course ragnarok, everything in between.

Non-Fiction

Killing Lincoln, Kennedy, Jesus, books by BIll O'reilly. I know a lot of people don't care for his show or politics, but these books are incredibly well researched and give a lot of context and character to the people killed who became so big we sometimes forget they were people. Really enjoyed these.
Going Clear by Lawrence Wright: A fantastic, in depth history of L. Ron Hubbard an Scientology and then the cult itself. Enthralling read.
Donnie Brasco by Joe Pistone: Undercover agent in the mob.
Under and Alone by Bill King: Undercover Agent in an OMC.
Good Clean Fun by Nick Offerman: Part good advice, part woodworking plans, part hilarity, good stuff from Offerman (ive enjoyed all of his books actually)

That's all I got off the top of my head...Also have a TON of comic recommendations if you want em. I may edit this as I think of more, this was fun lol

Don Quixote
Moby-Dick
Hunger (Hamsun)
A Hero of Our Time (Lermontov)

We seem to have similar tastes lol the ones in bold I'm a huge fan of...

Loved when Koontz did Frankenstein. The first 3 were better than the last 3 but it was a fun take on it.

Liked the taking a lot too. And dragon tears.

I feel like ol Dean has fallin off a bit the last decade but he was on fire for a long time. Got really into his books around around 5th grade when I read my moms copy of mr murder

Loved when Koontz did Frankenstein. The first 3 were better than the last 3 but it was a fun take on it.

Liked the taking a lot too. And dragon tears.

I feel like ol Dean has fallin off a bit the last decade but he was on fire for a long time. Got really into his books around around 5th grade when I read my moms copy of mr murder
I started in 7th Grade with Twlight Eyes and was hooked, I read/owned every book he put out until the last several years...Idk if I grew out of his newer stuff or if he's just been phoning it in, but havent been as hooked on any of his newer stuff.

Outliers: The story of success - Malcolm Gladwell
The Stranger - Albert Camus
Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger
Freakonomics
Peter the Great: His life and world - Robert K. Massie
The effective executive - Peter Drucker
The innocent man - John Grisham

infinite jest by david foster wallace
the bell jar by sylvia plath
the female man by joanna russ
bad behavior by mary gaitskill
libra by don delillo
ulysses by james joyce

for @Rex Kwon Do :
in cold blood by truman capote
people who eat darkness by richard lloyd parry
zodiac by robert graysmith
oswald's tale by norman mailer
devil in the white city by erik larson
the looming tower by lawrence wright
the monster of florence by douglas preston
helter skelter by vincent bugliosi
echoes of my soul by robert k tanenbaum
the trial of gilles de de rais by georges bataille
death in the city of light by david king
a wilderness of errors by errol morris
hellbound on his trail by hampton sides

Just finished "The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds" by Michael Lewis, interesting stuff and reminded me how much I like his books too. Also ‎Jon Ronson who did "Men Who Stare at Goats" and "Them"

Maybe you're right. The hardcore history podcast with Dan Carlin has a free series on WW1 called blueprint for armageddon. In part 5 it looks at the lead up to the Russian Revolution. Worth checking out if you or anybody else is interested. It had me feeling really bad for the Romanovs.

I just finally finished that long ass book. Man, that shit is sad. It's tragic. It's so fucked up what happened to those people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back