Favorite Books

Qwerty1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have really only read when i have been forced for the most part. But found an old kindle laying around a while back and trying to force myself into enjoying reading. I prefer reading an actual book and not on a kindle but it is more convenient.

Anyways, so far i have only really read ''The Alchemist'' and been reading ''The Stand'' but holy shit its a grind. Just wondering what are some good books to read?

Was going to recommend The Stand. It's the only novel I've read more than once. Read Dune recently, it was good. Any of Brian Greene's book are great. Michio Kaku's Hyperspace.

Oh, right now I'm reading a biography of Rasputin. It's facinating but very long.

If shorter is better for you, I'd go with a collection of short stories or essays. Ray Bradbury's short stories are pretty good and Emersons "Self Reliance an Other Essays" is good short form nonfiction. Also (shameless plug), you might dig my books if you're into short fight sport and martial arts pieces.

Ham on Rye and Johnny Got His Gun are my favourites. Both are pretty short, so shouldn't take long to read.

If you're reading "The Stand" might as well read "The Shining" and "It".

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson is probably my most reread fiction book

Corporate Warriors by PW Singer is probably my most reread nonfiction book

Bill Bryson books are great (At Home, and One Summer are particularly informative too)

Lincoln Child and Douglas Pendergast write my favorite page turners, the Agent Pendergast series.

The Pearl by John Steinbeck and The Road by Cormac McCarthy are great short books that will keep you engaged.

Watership down by Richard Adams

The Conan stories by Robert e Howard

Black dahlia
The big nowhere
La confidential
White jazz all by James ellroy

Heart shaped box
Horns
Noes4r2 by joe hill ( Stephen Kings son)

The following are not favourites but just fun reads

Jurassic park
The lost world by Michael criton

First blood by David Morrell

Pretty much anything from Richard laymon

Cabal
The books of blood by Clive barker

Lullaby
Fight club by chuck palahniuk

Depends on your mood.

If you want a fun book to suck you in for a few days, I recommend the Jack Reacher novels. 'One Shot' was the inspiration for the first Jack Reacher film, great read.

The Jason Bourne books are also thrilling.

For self-improvement and critical thinking development, I recommend:

-Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
-Problem Solving 101: A Simple Book for Smart People

For a long, thought provoking Fiction read, I recommend Stephen King's '11-22-63', couldn't put that shit down for two weeks.

Ham on Rye and Johnny Got His Gun are my favourites. Both are pretty short, so shouldn't take long to read.

Ham on Rye is also one of my favourites. Love me some Bukowski and thats his best imo.

Few others include Roadside Picnic, Flowers for Algernon and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

If you're reading "The Stand" might as well read "The Shining" and "It".

Read The Shining last year. Was good, but it's no The Stand. The book and the movie are barely the same thing.

I have really only read when i have been forced for the most part. But found an old kindle laying around a while back and trying to force myself into enjoying reading. I prefer reading an actual book and not on a kindle but it is more convenient.

Anyways, so far i have only really read ''The Alchemist'' and been reading ''The Stand'' but holy shit its a grind. Just wondering what are some good books to read?

There's a few of Steven King's books that share an ongoing background theme and are subtly interconnected into the Dark Tower series.

The Stand is one. I think IT and Salem's Lot too. I really noticed when I read The Regulators and Desperation (Bachman books).

I haven't Steven King much in the last few years, so I don't know how many more books are connected. It seemed to be part of King's constant good vs evil battle throughout several dimensions/timelines. I don't think its something he meant to eventually bring into some epic conclusion, just subtle connections you might pick up on if you read lots of his books... like I used to do.

- The picture of Dorian Gray
- The Metamorphosis
- Dharma Bums
- Lord Of The Flies
- might as well mention Lord of the Rings
- The stranger
- Naked Lunch
- A Song of Ice and Fire (a bit long...)
- One hundred years of solitude
- Journey to the end of the night

I don't know your tastes so I kept it pretty simple. I highly recommend Dharma Bums. Btw The Alchemist is a kids book with mixed with some pseudo philosophical spiritually. I'd recommend picking up a real philosophy book or philosophical literature like Jorge Luis Borges, Voltaire (Candide), Sartre's short stories, Camus' novels, etc.

Back