Favorite Books

I just finally finished that long ass book. Man, that shit is sad. It's tragic. It's so fucked up what happened to those people.
You ground it down in the end. Any idea on what you'll read next? Or do you need a break after that. I'm just finishing up re-reading the game of thrones books now and then and I'm going to read Silk Roads a historical novel by Peter Frankopan . He has a book on Russia coming out at the start of 2019 I believe called Leviathan you should keep your eyes out for it.

220px-Green_Eggs_and_Ham.jpg

I'm reading 3 books atm Treasure Island, Starship Troopers & The Human Division (the 5th book in old mans war series). Treasure Island & The Human division are pretty average but Starship Troopers is phenomenal.

I'm going to read the Hyperion series next, it's one I've been meaning to get around to for ages.

I've molded my whole fucking life after Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (love his other works too) just wanted to say that if this guy had started a cult i would have probably be in it, my other favourites fall in with my favourite authors: almost everything written by Jules Verne with my favourites being s Mysterious Island and Journey to the Center of the Earth i've re read them so many times that i memorized parts of them, other authors that i like are Robert E. Howard for the Conan series and the Steve Harrison stories, Solomon Kane is good but not that good imo, of course the genius work of Dan Simmons with the Cantos of Hyperion, those 4 books were the first to make it to my little collection along with my 1982 edition of Starship Troopers

other notable favourites of mine are Joe Handelman's Forever War and its sequels

Today's sci fi im afraid to say its pretty shit and its not easy to find something good, im still looking for the best work in the genre, but for example the Hugo and Nebula awards have lost alot of credit and are now basically meaningless

I have really only read when i have been forced for the most part. But found an old kindle laying around a while back and trying to force myself into enjoying reading. I prefer reading an actual book and not on a kindle but it is more convenient.

Anyways, so far i have only really read ''The Alchemist'' and been reading ''The Stand'' but holy shit its a grind. Just wondering what are some good books to read?

Most of the recommendations are more bragging to each other and not meant for someone who doesn't read.

Google best book "insert genra" Than start reading the one which is closest to your movie liking ie. romance, action, fantasy, horror, bibliography etc

Some of the others have mentioned Dean Koontz, if you like horror and want to like Stephan King but it drones on get him. Knootz will write in 15pages what takes King 100

If you want to try Fantasy get Joe Abercrombie first law for a bit dirtier (violence) or Gammell for black and white/good evil

Just finished a great book, "Wind, Sand and Stars" by Antione Saint-Exupery. It's a true story based on his experiences as a pilot in the Sahara and the Andes in the early 1900's. Flying at that time was incredibly dangerous, over 100 of his colleagues died within a few years. It's not just about flying though, he discusses his philosophy on life a lot too.

It is incredibly well written and is only 120 pages long. Instantly became one of my favourites.

You ground it down in the end. Any idea on what you'll read next? Or do you need a break after that. I'm just finishing up re-reading the game of thrones books now and then and I'm going to read Silk Roads a historical novel by Peter Frankopan . He has a book on Russia coming out at the start of 2019 I believe called Leviathan you should keep your eyes out for it.

I already started reading Lawrence Krauss' new book. My theoretical physics is very rusty. That's my first passion.

At the very end the guy talks about how when Alexandra and her 4 daughters were murdered they were all wearing pictures of Rasputin around their necks. That one tugged at the ol heart strings. Very sad.

In the middle of The Prestige. It's good, but might be the first book where I actually like the movie better (and this isn't the first time I watched the movie first, so it's not that) the third person perspective of the movie is better for the intrigue of the story and there's a side story of a descendant in the book that muddle things imo

Back