Fact checking people during conversations is obnoxious

Is she talking about the HPV vaccine? Kids don’t get that until they are 11. It protects against genital warts which cause cancer. I hate antivaxxers.

She didn't specify which STD shots it was but implied that it was when they were infants.

She didn't specify which STD shots it was but implied that it was when they were infants.
She is still an idiot. Why wouldn’t you protect your children against some horrible diseases like Polio is beyond me.

She is still an idiot. Why wouldn’t you protect your children against some horrible diseases like Polio is beyond me.

I've got tons of stories about her. She's fucking stupid. Had her once lecture me about veganism and how healthy it is and all the shit meat does to you. Then as they are leaving my house "Let's stop a the taco bell". Just got done listening to her drivel about being a healthy vegan and then she heads to taco bell.

I welcome people to fact check me. If I was wrong, I grow as a person to have my understanding corrected, if I was right, my credibility with the person grows. It's a win-win. It only sucks if the person's intention is solely trying to prove you wrong to win an argument, unchanged in their view if the fact checking didn't turn in their favour.

It's the equivalent to people who say, "Source?" when you're posting an obvious opinion on the internet.

I read the whole post. And it seems like you just talk out of your ass and don’t like when people call you on it.
o_O

If that was the case I wouldn't have specified that he does it to everyone or that I'm always right when he does it. I would probably just repress memories of people calling me out so I could keep on bullshitting with a clear conscience.

TS if you say something wrong and no one corrects you, it will re-enforce in you that it was correct. You should hate repeating wrong stuff over and over more than being corrected finally and learning something.

Being full of shit and spewing out bullshit is obnoxious.

Our old apprentice did this a lot. I didn't work with him much but I know it drove the other guys crazy. He did it to the boss and got kicked to the curb when the apprenticeship was over

Tell him you banged his mom and see if he calls her to confirm it happened.

Everyone does it sometimes when they hear something outlandish or interesting, but I find it to be very annoying and borderline insulting when someone does it frequently.

I recently transferred to a different division at work. There is one guy who I find myself working together with almost daily. I like him for the most part, but in the last month he has whipped phone out in the middle of conversation at least ten times to try to prove me wrong. It makes me want to touch him with the jab. Am I wrong here?

Before anyone asks, I'm not much of a bullshitter, so I've only been (partially) wrong one time with him and he does it to other people as well.

Actually, I need to start whipping out my phone more when people say stupid shit.

I get people trying to prove me wrong, when I am talking about big picture concepts, by fact checking and second guessing every little detail. I am talking about big picture stuff anyways.

Everyone does it sometimes when they hear something outlandish or interesting, but I find it to be very annoying and borderline insulting when someone does it frequently.

I recently transferred to a different division at work. There is one guy who I find myself working together with almost daily. I like him for the most part, but in the last month he has whipped phone out in the middle of conversation at least ten times to try to prove me wrong. It makes me want to touch him with the jab. Am I wrong here?

Before anyone asks, I'm not much of a bullshitter, so I've only been (partially) wrong one time with him and he does it to other people as well.
To me the most frustrating thing, here, are all those idiots out there who conflate acquired with accessible knowledge.
Searching for Explanations: How the Internet Inflates Estimates of Internal Knowledge

I think it becomes rude if you incessantly needle no matter what, but for the most part, I don't mind if someone constantly fact checks me or interrupts me to challenge a point before moving on to the next point, especially if the next point depends on acceptance of this prior point, but what irritates me is when someone continually reaches for their phone/Google to do it even after Google has already slapped them down once on a challenge. It's already annoying after one offense, and one strike is really enough. It becomes intolerable if they try it after failing twice.

"Look, if you're not certain that I'm wrong, then work on your knowledge base or your retention. If I'm going to debate Google nobody needs you. Kindly stfu."

If something is very wrong, I will fact check. But I don't take out my phone during conversation, it is rude for me.

Come on, don't bullshit me.
f806d864f2653f977c1ff425270020fbdc3118191031825e5e2a36653de298ed.png

To me the most frustrating thing, here, are all those idiots out there who conflate acquired with accessible knowledge.
Searching for Explanations: How the Internet Inflates Estimates of Internal Knowledge

I think it becomes rude if you incessantly needle no matter what, but for the most part, I don't mind if someone constantly fact checks me or interrupts me to challenge a point before moving on to the next point, especially if the next point depends on acceptance of this prior point, but what irritates me is when someone continually reaches for their phone/Google to do it even after Google has already slapped them down once on a challenge. It's already annoying after one offense, and one strike is really enough. It becomes intolerable if they try it after failing twice.

"Look, if you're not certain that I'm wrong, then work on your knowledge base or your retention. If I'm going to debate Google nobody needs you. Kindly stfu."
Oh yeah, the specific person I'm talking about does this shit multiple times per day. I've realized, though, that my real beef is with his need for every conversation that takes place within earshot of him to be a debate. He doesn't understand the concept of not arguing. You like tacos? Well, bitch, sit down and prepare to hear a ten minute presentation on why tacos are shit. Should you happen to provide a fact, you better expect it to be ferociously googled.

Back