Fact checking people during conversations is obnoxious

Everyone does it sometimes when they hear something outlandish or interesting, but I find it to be very annoying and borderline insulting when someone does it frequently.

I recently transferred to a different division at work. There is one guy who I find myself working together with almost daily. I like him for the most part, but in the last month he has whipped phone out in the middle of conversation at least ten times to try to prove me wrong. It makes me want to touch him with the jab. Am I wrong here?

Before anyone asks, I'm not much of a bullshitter, so I've only been (partially) wrong one time with him and he does it to other people as well.
The truth is probably somewhere in between him being annoyingly compulsive about fact-checking and you being intolerant of people who are outside your world of what should be proper behavior.

Just chat sh*t all day until his phone battery dies, simple solution

giphy.gif

Got a girl at work that does it all the times(like, stop eat and go search on phone if you're bullshitting), personally i find it bizzarre but not offensive

"it's true"
"thank you"

Personally, I wouldn’t mind.

He checks the fact, if I’m right, there you go, if I’m wrong, well there’s a new fact for me
The phone part is kind of lame. You don't have to cite publication dates from memory but at least have an inkling of what your refutation is based on.

But as for being corrected on misconceptions or "alternative facts", we're kinda living with the consequences of people not doing that often enough...

I personally can't stand BS though and a lot of people do it in conversation and on the internet. I like to call them on it, if possible.

We need less BS in the world.

Everyone does it sometimes when they hear something outlandish or interesting, but I find it to be very annoying and borderline insulting when someone does it frequently.

I recently transferred to a different division at work. There is one guy who I find myself working together with almost daily. I like him for the most part, but in the last month he has whipped phone out in the middle of conversation at least ten times to try to prove me wrong. It makes me want to touch him with the jab. Am I wrong here?

Before anyone asks, I'm not much of a bullshitter, so I've only been (partially) wrong one time with him and he does it to other people as well.

If I’m offering a fact up it means I’ve read it. If I’m offering an opinion my feet aren’t planted anyway, so you provide me better info and I’ll change it. There’s a guy I eat with who checks me a couple times a week but I’m right or I wouldn’t say it. I did get the name of the Canadian trans bill wrong, so he corrected me there by I said I couldn’t recall the name for sure.

How in the fuck do you expect a conversation to produce any kind of truth without being factually correct? Fact checking people is less fact checking and more calling them on their bullshit.

Don't take it personally. I do this sometimes. If you were talking about sports championships and I realized I didn't have knowledge on the topic I might look it up and see all the champions for the last 20 years instead of just taking your statement and leaving it at that. It's just too easy now days to get the full story.
Also many people bullshit constantly and that is one of the most annoying things in my opinion.

I don't check people's facts, but I do correct their (danish) grammar. Which is basically even more annoying, but I don't care. They could just learn to speak/write correctly ...

Don't take it personally. I do this sometimes. If you were talking about sports championships and I realized I didn't have knowledge on the topic I might look it up and see all the champions for the last 20 years instead of just taking your statement and leaving it at that. It's just too easy now days to get the full story.
Also many people bullshit constantly and that is one of the most annoying things in my opinion.
Yeah, I feel like I was pretty clear that I understand doing it sometimes or if someone is full of shit. It doesn't bother me for someone to be like "are you sure about that?" or "i didn't know that. That's interesting. I'm going to read about it." This guy is just constantly on a quest to prove everyone wrong about everything and it's super obnoxious.

I think most people look things up occasionally during conversation. I'm only bothered by one specific guy who has to call everything anyone ever says into question.

Edit: after really thinking about it, I think it's that he approaches EVERY conversation like it's a serious debate that he must win. Can't I just share my opinion on the restaurant we ate at without an argument ffs?

Personally, I wouldn’t mind.

He checks the fact, if I’m right, there you go, if I’m wrong, well there’s a new fact for me

Yeah. This.

TS is a little emotional I think.

I don’t usually fact check people. There is a guy I work with that is a fucking idiot and spouts crazy conspiracy theories. Just recently he was saying that there were whole cities in the U.K. that are “no go” zones ruled by sharia law. I don’t fact check him but I try and change the subject as fast as I can because I don’t want to hear his Alex Jones style rants.

Edit: I’ve tried in the past but he doesn’t believe snopes or any other fact checking site because according to him they are are liberal propaganda machines. It’s useless.

I don’t usually fact check people. There is a guy I work with that is a fucking idiot and spouts crazy conspiracy theories. Just recently he was saying that there were whole cities in the U.K. that are “no go” zones ruled by sharia law. I don’t fact check him gm but I try and change the subject as fast as I can because I don’t want to hear his Alex Jones style rants.
Lol yeah dude, you hadn't heard about the zealot underground that rules over Bristol?

Yeah. This.

TS is a little emotional I think.
From earlier post: "after really thinking about it, I think it's that he approaches EVERY conversation like it's a serious debate that he must win. Can't I just share my opinion on the restaurant we ate at without an argument ffs?"

I think the constant fact checking is just a manifestation of the argumentative nature

I tend to fact check people after the conversation is over and just make a mental note they are a fucking idiot. Had an anti vaxxer tell me it was stupid that kids got shots for STD's. Why did they need that she said? My cousin asked "Can't STD"s be transmitted through breast milk?" She says No. As soon as she walks away my cousin googles it and the answer is right at the top, it can be transmitted through breaks milk.

From earlier post: "after really thinking about it, I think it's that he approaches EVERY conversation like it's a serious debate that he must win. Can't I just share my opinion on the restaurant we ate at without an argument ffs?"

I think the constant fact checking is just a manifestation of the argumentative nature

Yeah well Arby's IS better than Popeye's so fuck you buddy!

*looks up facts for support*

Lol yeah dude, you hadn't heard about the zealot underground that rules over Bristol?

Lol, no he said Birmingham was completely no go and regular brits couldn’t even go there because it’s a “no go” zone. I told him Birmingham is one of UKs largest cities that I wasn’t sure about that. He just told me I needed to do my research.

I tend to fact check people after the conversation is over and just make a mental note they are a fucking idiot. Had an anti vaxxer tell me it was stupid that kids got shots for STD's. Why did they need that she said? My cousin asked "Can't STD"s be transmitted through breast milk?" She says No. As soon as she walks away my cousin googles it and the answer is right at the top, it can be transmitted through breaks milk.
Is she talking about the HPV vaccine? Kids don’t get that until they are 11. It protects against genital warts which cause cancer. I hate antivaxxers.

Back