Evil Genius - Netflix Documentary

Really enjoyed it.

The woman's face creeped me the fuck out.

Did you see the pics of her in the 1970s?? Super hottie! But then age kicked in and then she went all bat shit crazy. I think that's what started her downward slide. The deterioration of her looks.

Why only 4? Show was amazing imo

I'm a big serial killer...ummm fan for lack of a better word. It fascinates me and this was right up my alley. Kemper was always the most interesting to me due to his extreme intelligence but never really got the press of Dahmer, Bundy, Gacy, etc. Curious what they'll do with Rader in S2.

Just finished it...

Wow...text book example of how truth can be stranger than fiction...

Jesus christ, with all the plot twists

Kind of random, but did anyone else snicker a bit when the coroner tried to explain that he decapitated Wells' body "respectfully"?

It's like, look dude, we know you just sawed his head off with a bone saw. Just because you didn't use garden shears, or a meat cleaver, doesn't make it any more "respectful". The respectful thing to do, would've been to keep the body intact, and cut the metal cuff off.

Kind of random, but did anyone else snicker a bit when the coroner tried to explain that he decapitated Wells' body "respectfully"?

It's like, look dude, we know you just sawed his head off with a bone saw. Just because you didn't use garden shears, or a meat cleaver, doesn't make it any more "respectful". The respectful thing to do, would've been to keep the body intact, and cut the metal cuff off.
I was trying to think about how they could do it "respectfully" and was drawing a blank. I was thinking they took it off in a way that they could sew it back on so he could still have an open casket but nope.

Did you see the pics of her in the 1970s?? Super hottie! But then age kicked in and then she went all bat shit crazy. I think that's what started her downward slide. The deterioration of her looks.

I wouldn't call her super hottie at all. Relative to Erie she probably was though.

I was trying to think about how they could do it "respectfully" and was drawing a blank. I was thinking they took it off in a way that they could sew it back on so he could still have an open casket but nope.

Yeah, it's morbidly funny. I try to look at it from the coroner's perspective. You know the guy was told to preserve the evidence, so he really had no choice. It's just funny hearing him try to soften a blow, that is just impossible to soften.

"We cut his head off...respectfully..."

<YeahOKJen>

Poor guy. LOL.

I'm about halfway through the 2nd episode. Had to stop for the NBA game tonight.

Everything feels so fishy at this point. Especially this Rothstein fella.

Just finished.

It's a bummer that Rothstein wasn't held accountable for having a huge part in Wells' death. He was bold enough to think that he could outsmart the law and he was very lucky that he did.

I'm still not sure what to believe when it comes to Wells' involvement. If I had to guess I'd say that he had no part, but that witness saying he saw Wells puling out of Rothstein's house the day before is interesting.

Plus the second pizza guy, his involvement had no explanation.

I dont understand:
1. Why Rothstein called in the frozen body
2. Why they used Wells and a real bomb
3. Why they made the scavenger hunt
4. Why the local PD didn't follow up on Diehl courting Burns as a hitman

I can only guess that
1. Three weeks is a long time to keep a frozen body and perhaps there were many fights between Diehl and Rothstein leading to Bill finally calling it in as some king of retribution against her.
2. Maybe there was a love triangle thing going on between Burns-Hopesick-Wells and using a real bomb was Burns's idea to torture Wells for his involvement with Hopesick. Or the bomb was legitimately outsourced and no one in the group actually knew it was real.
3. The scavenger hunt tells me that without a doubt one or more of the group wanted to completely torment Wells. It was pure terror
4. These people from the local pd to county/state prosecutors were incompetent and somehow dumber than the perps who maybe had just one somewhat intelligent person(Rothstein).

I believe the ones involved including Hopesick who allegedly came clean are still hiding a lot of the details. Rothstein and maybe Diehl probably knew Wells wouldn't finish the scavenger hunt so they couldn't have expected to even get the money- which completely changes the motive.

One other thing is that these people aside from maybe Rothstein were 100% cracked out of their fucking minds. There's a good chance the entire plan was crafted from a crackpipe which would explain why this story is so bizarre and difficult to comprehend.

1. Maybe he had a reason to fuck her over. Maybe he wanted to find a way to pin the Wells murder on her as well, this is something we’ll never know. Maybe Diehl threatened to blame it on him but he called on her first?

2. They saw Wells as an easy target, easy to set up and scare. They probably used a real bomb because he could be a witness. Using the bomb could leave less evidence than a bullet sometimes. To murder somebody while you’re not even there I guess would actually be the best way to do it.

3. Wells just robbed a bank. They didn’t want him driving straight to them because that would lead the cops straight to them. That’s one possibility. The escape is always the hard part. The routes they gave Wells would’ve got him caught either way though and it did.

4. You mean Barnes? There was a lot of incompetence in this case, likely because it was split between ATF, FBI and local PD or some shit.

Maybe they did think he would finish the scavenger hunt. Or maybe everybody but Bill did because I really feel he just wanted to kill somebody in some crazy way and get away with it, even ‘helping’ in the case. Trying to fly as close to the sun as possible like the narrator said.

I can't imagine being tasked with decapitating someone. Not sure why anyone would want that as a career.

I can't imagine being tasked with decapitating someone. Not sure why anyone would want that as a career.

Somebody's gotta do it. But yeah, odd career choice. Although, I'd imagine it pays the bills quite well.

Another thing that got me thinking about wells involvement was if he wasn’t there by choice, I doubt they would’ve handed him a working shotgun. If they really forced him to put that on, he could’ve shot them with it and went straight to the cops and bomb squad, but he went right in and got a sucker like nothing was wrong.

This was a damn good and interesting documentary.

This documentary made me realize something though. All the man hours and effort that went into searching, investigating, interrogating etc etc over 10 years!

THIS is why the US has so many people incarcerated. Our legal system just DOES NOT quit. These people would have gotten away with it in most other countries.

edit: hopefully this doesn't derail the thread.

Well, I don't think that's necessarily bad. Thry could cut costs by actually putting some hedious criminals down. A 762x39 round costs like .25$ a round. :)

Does anyone think Wells wasn't involved at all?

AJ Garcia makes a good point, why hand Wells a working gun that he could have just used against them?

Why is Wells so calm at the bank? Grabbing a lollipop? That's such odd behavior. I can't imagine someone acting like that if they know a real bomb is strapped to their neck.

Well is also extremely calm while waiting for the bomb squad. At no point did I see him lose his cool.

But the most telling thing to me is him saying that a black guy strapped the bomb to him. Now they say that Marjorie told Wells to just say that it was a black guy that did this to him but why would Wells go along with that if he wasn't involved? I think Wells has to be involved but we will never know whether he knew if the bomb was real or not.

I think Rothstein had to have built the bomb on his own. He seemed like the only one handy enough to do it. I don't know what exactly goes into the explosive part of a pipe bomb but he had so much shit at his house that he could have built the entire mechanical and electrical mechanism to it without having to go to a store to buy anything specific.

I can only think of two realistic reasons for why he made a real bomb. One, he didn't trust Wells and if anyone was going down for it, it was going to be Wells. At that point, he would obviously implicate them to get himself a lighter sentence. Rothstein may have had the idea to get the money from him and then let the bomb kill him anyway to silence him. Then again he could have just used a fake bomb and then shot him if he got the money. The second reason would possibly be to destroy the evidence. If it was fake they possibly could have used forensics to tie the bomb back to him in some way.

Will deff check it out tonight

Thanks for the heads up, TS. There's so much stuff on Netflix that I often don't watch anything because I don't know what to. The paradox of choice. More is less.

Thanks for the heads up, TS. There's so much stuff on Netflix that I often don't watch anything because I don't know what to. The paradox of choice. More is less.
I know what you mean. Sometimes I’ll spend an hour looking through everything and then don’t even end up watching anything. This show had me hooked tho.

Back