Evil Genius - Netflix Documentary

Damn, another one? I just finished Dirty Money and last episode to go on Wild Wild Country.

Netflix putting in work with these docu-series.

Yeah, I saw it a few days ago.

Two other good ones are "Wild Wild Country" and "Gringo". The first is about the cult that setup in Oregon in the 80's and the second is about crazy John McAffee.

Just finished up WWC a few days ago. Amazing. It's got so many layers to it, that I don't know how I felt at the end. I'm still thinking about it. That was some Oscar worthy stuff.

"Gringo" was was pretty good too. Not as good as WWC or EG, but an interesting look into the mind of an eccentric Computer whiz, who used his money to live out his fantasies. Dude was LARPing at very high level.

I fell asleep watching this last Friday. I restarted it tonight, 2 episodes in. I’ve definitely enjoyed it so far.

It was pretty good I was always interested in the story since it happened in 2003. Some sophistication with some stupid people, I think there's a unknown outsider maybe

Didnt I see all this on an episode of the FBI files. Can't believe they made a series about it on netflix.

tumblr_nti2q8p70r1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

I remember when it happened and never heard anything about it again, until this came out. Amazing how so many ducked up people find each other

It was pretty good I was always interested in the story since it happened in 2003. Some sophistication with some stupid people, I think there's a unknown outsider maybe

The fat dude was pretty intelligent, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the mastermind behind it all. Diehl was obviously involved, but I'm not sure if the dude just used her "bank robbery" idea, to set up a murder he wanted to see if he could get away with.

In one of the episodes they hint at his motivation, and suggest that he knew he was dying, and pulled this off just to prove he was smarter than everyone. He also had motivation to fuck Diehl over as well, being a jilted ex-lover. He seemed to be the most diabolical and scheming of the bunch, where as Diehl just seemed unhinged, and her motivation was just to rob a bank. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the group but him, knew the bomb was actually going to go off.

I don’t understand why bill told the police about diehl in the first place. They’re all involved in this big murder that’s all over the news and then he goes and brings everyone’s attention to them when the cops had zero leads on the wells murder.

I don’t understand why bill told the police about diehl in the first place. They’re all involved in this big murder that’s all over the news and then he goes and brings everyone’s attention to them when the cops had zero leads on the wells murder.
I dont understand:
1. Why Rothstein called in the frozen body
2. Why they used Wells and a real bomb
3. Why they made the scavenger hunt
4. Why the local PD didn't follow up on Diehl courting Burns as a hitman

I can only guess that
1. Three weeks is a long time to keep a frozen body and perhaps there were many fights between Diehl and Rothstein leading to Bill finally calling it in as some king of retribution against her.
2. Maybe there was a love triangle thing going on between Burns-Hopesick-Wells and using a real bomb was Burns's idea to torture Wells for his involvement with Hopesick. Or the bomb was legitimately outsourced and no one in the group actually knew it was real.
3. The scavenger hunt tells me that without a doubt one or more of the group wanted to completely torment Wells. It was pure terror
4. These people from the local pd to county/state prosecutors were incompetent and somehow dumber than the perps who maybe had just one somewhat intelligent person(Rothstein).

I believe the ones involved including Hopesick who allegedly came clean are still hiding a lot of the details. Rothstein and maybe Diehl probably knew Wells wouldn't finish the scavenger hunt so they couldn't have expected to even get the money- which completely changes the motive.

One other thing is that these people aside from maybe Rothstein were 100% cracked out of their fucking minds. There's a good chance the entire plan was crafted from a crackpipe which would explain why this story is so bizarre and difficult to comprehend.

Last edited:
Glad to hear how good everyone thinks it is, I was gonna start watching tonight...

I dont understand:
1. Why Rothstein called in the frozen body
2. Why they used Wells and a real bomb
3. Why they made the scavenger hunt
4. Why the local PD didn't follow up on Diehl courting Burns as a hitman

I can only guess that
1. Three weeks is a long time to keep a frozen body and perhaps there were many fights between Diehl and Rothstein leading to Bill finally calling it in as some king of retribution against her.
2. Maybe there was a love triangle thing going on between Burns-Hopesick-Wells and using a real bomb was Burns's idea to torture Wells for his involvement with Hopesick. Or the bomb was legitimately outsourced and no one in the group actually knew it was real.
3. The scavenger hunt tells me that without a doubt one or more of the group wanted to completely torment Wells. It was pure terror
4. These people from the local pd to county/state prosecutors were incompetent and somehow dumber than the perps who maybe had just one somewhat intelligent person(Rothstein).

I believe the ones involved including Hopesick who allegedly came clean are still hiding a lot of the details. Rothstein and maybe Diehl probably knew Wells wouldn't finish the scavenger hunt so they couldn't have expected to even get the money- which completely changes the motive.

One other thing is that these people aside from maybe Rothstein were 100% cracked out of their fucking minds. There's a good chance the entire plan was crafted from a crackpipe which would explain why this story is so bizarre and difficult to comprehend.
Ya it’s weird. These people are pretty smart but very dumb at the same time. Wells didn’t even have enough time to finish the scavenger hunt, and they had to know he would get stopped by the cops, so there was no possible way for them to get the money, yet the whole reason they planned this out was because they all needed money.

I still don’t know what to think about wells. Eye witnesses said they saw him the day before with the crew, and he looked super calm while robbing the bank, yet everything else about the situation makes you wonder why he would let these fuckers put that thing on him and do what they say? This town shouldn’t be allowed to breed.

Should have been named ‘Mentally Challenged Geniuses’ ....so many people in this doc described themselves as “intelligent” yet their constant fuck ups say otherwise. I personally think that the guy who has blown up was in on it but had no idea that it was actually a live bomb. Eire Pennsylvania looks like the exact opposite of where I’d like to live

I've seen another show that discussed that story, forget the name of it though. Just finished it the other night, really well down albeit a tad slow.

I watched it a couple of days ago, and was angriest at the prostitute. She used the pizza guy, set him up, and then did nothing to clear his name years later.

What I wasn't clear on is whether the second pizza delivery guy that died of a suspected overdose was somehow linked to the original crime.

The police and FBI also bumbled their way through that investigation.

I remember when it happened and never heard anything about it again, until this came out. Amazing how so many ducked up people find each other
It always baffles me when multiple people are involved in heinous crimes; its like, how is it that 2 people who like to kill old people with hammers live in the same hemisphere let alone the same town... and how the fuck did they find each other? Its can't be easy to ask your bro, hey man, ever get the feeling you want to rape a kitten?

This was a damn good and interesting documentary.

This documentary made me realize something though. All the man hours and effort that went into searching, investigating, interrogating etc etc over 10 years!

THIS is why the US has so many people incarcerated. Our legal system just DOES NOT quit. These people would have gotten away with it in most other countries.

edit: hopefully this doesn't derail the thread.

Back