ESPN to lay off 100 more people after Thanksgiving

One of the ESPN sportcenter guys Johnathon coachman just quit do to personal and professional reasons.... good for him. Growing up playing sports and watching ESPN every day for sports coverage I started seeing left leaning politics being injected around 2006. Slowly it has turned me off through time, I would feel the same about right-leaning politics. Most of my friends feel the same way, 10 years ago we would talk about what the guys on pardon the interruption said about my team or their team. Also sportscenter, nfl preview shows ect. Now we all don't watch it or talk about all that. Can't stand ESPN's smugness and all they want to do is talk politics. 'MSNBC with footballs" is correct.

I watch Fox Sports 1 and NBC Sports way more than ESPN these days. I think that ESPN has lost their way. I still watch ESPN some though.
That's a lie because Fs1 talks politics just like espn.

I'd imagine that most of the people about to loose their jobs are lower level people - production crews, radio announcers, etc. that aren't the cause of ESPNs issues.

This is very true and that's how the cookie always crumbles.

I love how when companies play politics, and receive backlash for it, it's NEVER about the politics to the political aisle the company pandered to.

NFL ratings tanking:

"It's been going downhill for a while. Nothing to do with players shitting on the flag and anthem, in front of their yee-haw patriotic fan base."

Target suddenly closing down stores:

"It's just the way it is. Department stores are going away. Nothing at all to with the transgender bathroom issue, they made a spectacle of."

ESPN laying people off:

"People are just cutting the cord. Absolutely nothing to do with them going full CNN."

Obviously there are many factors, but it isn't any coincidence that the companies who have decided to stick their nose out and pick sides in the political spectrum, are the ones suffering most recently.

They did a major culling last year too. They are the most expensive channel on cable except premiums like HBO. Broadcasting rights cost a lot. And they are owned by Disney so to get Disney's other shit you gotta get ESPN too.

OG-AC140_TopTV__G_20140729144610.jpg

CableChartsFinalWrap.png

Not really surprised considering the amount of money they've paid for the rights to the nba, monday night football and college playoff broadcasting.

Yup, this hurts them more than anything and why they are the most expensive cable channel. Fox Sports is like 1/10 the cost.

Sports talk shows are awful. Every guy hosting those shows looks like they'd be a complete asshole in real life. I also don't see the point in needing to see the same recaps from the week on each show with each of their opinions about it. Their opinions aren't that valuable to waste my time watching.

many, many years ago what made them successful is killing them now. Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann were fantastic (i loathe keith in anything but straight sports). they changed what sports commentators did, making it all fun. but somewhere along the way they got carried away. they started to think THEY were the real stars and not the athletes they covered. the players were just the subject for ESPN's personalities to shine. So that created douchebags like Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, Jamele Hill, etc.

Now it is totally unwatchable. the damn commentators cant even be bothered to put on decent clothes anymore as half of tem just wear t shirts and tennis shoes on set.

i only watch them for live sports now when they used to be about 75% of my tv watching. and i would say a large reason for my leaving is that i really hate almost everyone on the network

Investing heavy into sham, troll debate like Stephen A. Smith vs. Skip Bayless might work in the short term, but it doesn't take long before the gig is up.

Their app today is bad by 2010 standards.
They actually doubled down and invested more into the personality driven pragramming and moved away from legitimate sportscasting over a year ago as evidenced by who they let go on the last occasion.

I love how when companies play politics, and receive backlash for it, it's NEVER about the politics to the political aisle the company pandered to.

NFL ratings tanking:

"It's been going downhill for a while. Nothing to do with players shitting on the flag and anthem, in front of their yee-haw patriotic fan base."

Target suddenly closing down stores:

"It's just the way it is. Department stores are going away. Nothing at all to with the transgender bathroom issue, they made a spectacle of."

ESPN laying people off:

"People are just cutting the cord. Absolutely nothing to do with them going full CNN."

Obviously there are many factors, but it isn't any coincidence that the companies who have decided to stick their nose out and pick sides in the political spectrum, are the ones suffering most recently.

Lol at blaming politics on target closing...

Have you seen the massive list of stores that have closed in the last 2-3 years.????

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-stores-closing-2017-8

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...cys-walmart-kmart-sears-aeropostale/88560318/

Compare that to target who closed what?.. 12 stores.. that's how many targets are being closed. Everybody and their dog have been buying from amazon (bezo is only the wealthiest man in the world now) and retail chains are filing bankruptcy left and right but target was left completely unfazed until this transgender bathroom issue and now these dozen stores are forced to close. Lol...

You are definitely a breitbart reader...

Lol at blaming politics on target closing...

Have you seen the massive list of stores that have closed in the last 2-3 years.????

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-stores-closing-2017-8

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...cys-walmart-kmart-sears-aeropostale/88560318/

Compare that to target who closed what?.. 12 stores.. that's how many targets are being closed. Everybody and their dog have been buying from amazon (bezo is only the wealthiest man in the world now) and retail chains are filing bankruptcy left and right but target was left completely unfazed until this transgender bathroom issue and now these dozen stores are forced to close. Lol...

You are definitely a breitbart reader...

How many stores has Walmart closed?

Target is Walmart's competition; not JC Penny or American Eagle's.

I think most of us would rather not listen to him at all. He just might be the most annoying asshole ever put on television. I don't understand how he has a job.
Actually, I do.
Race baiters gonna race bait.

Atlas knows 100 times more than you'll ever imagine.

So? That has nothing to do with being a shit commentator. If you think he is a good commentator, you are retarded man.

There is a thread in the boxing subforum, started last night about him being terrible on the broadcast last night.

How many stores has Walmart closed?

Target is Walmart's competition; not JC Penny or American Eagle's.

They closed 200+ stores recently. But they do have 5000+ stores in the US. Target has less than 2000 stores. Not only that but they are planning on opening 80+ stores next year. So yeah ummm they seem ok. Just closed stores that were poorly located and not making money.

They actually doubled down and invested more into the personality driven pragramming and moved away from legitimate sportscasting over a year ago as evidenced by who they let go on the last occasion.

When they moved Jamele hill and the one dude to Sportcenter and titled it "The 6" I was like who in the fuck is that for.

Dan LeBatard has a funny radio show but he gets really whiny. Mike & Mike are great but that's ending. I love PTI but you know those guys are gonna retire soon. Everything else on that network is shit. It's embarassing how bad they are fucking up. Plus they are defiant about it, that's how you know there is an agenda.

Back