ESPN Article: "Why are we praising Conor McGregor for losing to Floyd Mayweather?"

Floyd also had zero boxing footage of Conor to study while Conor had 20 years of boxing footage of Floyd to study

So Floyd basically come into the fight blind and still got his 1st knockout in a decade!

lol What to study?!

Conor doesn't even know boxing rules.

What's more likely is what I said. Conor was weird and awkward and Floyd went to the gameplan to wait him out. Mayweather was not letting him get counter punches off, Conor is a talented counter puncher. He was certainly active in rnds 7 and 8 and those were my favorite Conor rnds.

I think that Counter uppercut woke Mayweather up. And made him stick to the gameplan of tiring him out. And that shot wasnt even square.

Rnd 9, Conor was obviously gassed and was target practice. Rnd 10 was just a formality, he knew Conor was done and he ended it.

People are fooling themselves if they don't think Mayweather wanted to ko him earlier. Mayweather's demeanor in 7 and 8 showed me a man that was determined, but was still being confused by awkwardness and some unexpected skill.
Floyd was walking straight forward and taking punches to give his own. He was never confused.
This shit was easy work.

Floyd only got the stoppage when Conor gassed. People with stupid threads about Floyd walking him down would be saying shit now if Conor had stamina.
Conor has stamina, floyd took the fight to him and made him gas.
You dont know shit about fighting so be quiet.

Floyd was walking straight forward and taking punches to give his own. He was never confused.
This shit was easy work.
Look at his reactions in rnd 7 and 8 when he was trying to put him away. The guy was countering him with awkwardness. This man was basically handicapped in a fight and nobody wants to give him any credit. I gave him the 1st 3 due to Floyd's offensive inactivity, but my favorite rnds were rnd 7 and 8. He had some good counters and body shots.

Look at his reactions in rnd 7 and 8 when he was trying to put him away. The guy was countering him with awkwardness. This man was basically handicapped in a fight and nobody wants to give him any credit. I gave him the 1st 3 due to Floyd's offensive inactivity, but my favorite rnds were rnd 7 and 8. He had some good counters and body shots.
Bullshit. He said he trained boxing for over 10 years. Put in 40 12 round fights, not sparring but actual fights into the lead up for this fight. Said he was used to so much more and this was only half a fight. Floyd was too old, too small, too brittle fisted and hed breeze through him.
Conor dont get any passes, floyd was in control from the beginning. He lost round 1 and cruised thru from round 2 til the finish.
Conor was not a threat so floyd walked forward and took shots to give them.

The only reason Conor is being so praised is because he has a legion of fans who thought he would do a lot better than he did. Those people don't deal well with losing, so they have to somehow try to twist a loss into a victory. Ok, you're proud he went 10 rounds with Floyd, but the reality is that before the fight a lot of them expected him to do better than going 10 rounds. They were raving about power and unorthodox movements. Now they're happy with the crumbles. Such an amazing shift in behaviour.

Bullshit. He said he trained boxing for over 10 years. Put in 40 12 round fights, not sparring but actual fights into the lead up for this fight. Said he was used to so much more and this was only half a fight. Floyd was too old, too small, too brittle fisted and hed breeze through him.
Conor dont get any passes, floyd was in control from the beginning. He lost round 1 and cruised thru from round 2 til the finish.

Story of the fight:

Before the fight: Conor too powerful, awkward movements that Floyd can't prepare for, too big, too young, has been training boxing since 16, beat Aldo in 13 seconds, beat Paulie, who is a world champion.

After the fight: Oh...he did pretty well for someone with no boxing experience.

Lets see Floyd go 2 rnds in mma.

Lets see Floyd go 2 rnds in mma.

He doesn't need to. Conor needed to be embarrassed so he could get paid real money. Floyd makes the rules. He doesn't need to go to other people's backyard. They come to him, because the power is on his side. That's the power Conor wanted. The power of calling the shots. He failed. But still got filthy rich. Not bad.

Story of the fight:

Before the fight: Conor too powerful, awkward movements that Floyd can't prepare for, too big, too young, has been training boxing since 16, beat Aldo in 13 seconds, beat Paulie, who is a world champion.

After the fight: Oh...he did pretty well for someone with no boxing experience.

BOOM! Spot on

Sorry, you are talking rubbish! Conor was 18, when he made his mixed martial arts debut. So most prob started training for mma a few years before. He done boxing as a kid, stop trying to make out that he has all this boxing experience!

When you go into mma, you do not just focus on boxing! You have many different martial arts you have to learn, hence the reason why a boxer will always be better on their feet than a mma fighter!

You say that Conor had all these sparring matches building up to the fight, that simply is not enough! You are making it sound like it should have been easy for Conor to adapt go boxing, when in reality, it can take years, and a lot of professional 12 round fights to master your technique, pacing, head movement etc

There is a reason call boxing a sweet science!

Conor needs serious power. He gave everything he had in the 1st with the uppercut that landed flush on Floyd and it had zero effect :D

I watched the uppercut in slow-mo and Conor's face was like everything he had, every ounce of strength he put into that uppercut lol. It was like Conor was armed with a peashooter in a gun fight :D

Sorry, you are talking rubbish! Conor was 18, when he made his mixed martial arts debut. So most prob started training for mma a few years before. He done boxing as a kid, stop trying to make out that he has all this boxing experience!

When you go into mma, you do not just focus on boxing! You have many different martial arts you have to learn, hence the reason why a boxer will always be better on their feet than a mma fighter!

You say that Conor had all these sparring matches building up to the fight, that simply is not enough! You are making it sound like it should have been easy for Conor to adapt go boxing, when in reality, it can take years, and a lot of professional 12 round fights to master your technique, pacing, head movement etc

There is a reason call boxing a sweet science!
He started boxing training at 12.
Thought you were a conor fan?

Who said I am a huge Conor fan! Clearly you are just bashing the the sake of it! If he started boxing at twelve, then he would have been boxing for about four years before switching to mma training.

You think that is enough time to learn boxing, being a kid lol Seriously! You are delusional, and I cannot believe you are using this for your argument!

I firmly believe that if they said Mayweather wouldn't get paid if the fight went past 4 rounds, then the fight would have ended within 4 rounds.

Praise him for going in there and taking on Mayweather. But let's stop with the "he looked good" nonsense. He looked like we expected.

This ranks as one of the most retarded posts ever on sherdog...first, you can watch any of conor's fights to see how he moves and throws punches..since conor is mostly a boxer, at least as of late...plus, you don't think all of floyd's opponents watched tape on him? It makes very little difference....floyd boxed a guy making is pro debut...a guy that was 0-0 and he went 10 rounds with him...a virtual draw going into that 10th round.
A virtual draw? You're delusional as hell! Even connors biggest nut hugger brendan said it was over after the 5th

Who said I am a huge Conor fan! Clearly you are just bashing the the sake of it! If he started boxing at twelve, then he would have been boxing for about four years before switching to mma training.

You think that is enough time to learn boxing, being a kid lol Seriously! You are delusional, and I cannot believe you are using this for your argument!

You know, literally nobody in this forum aside from Conor fangirls ever said his number of years of training is enough. That's why i knew he was going to lose. So quit acting like if we don't know that you need a lot of time to perfect boxing skills, because that's what we have been saying for the past 2 months and that's why some of us knew Conor had little to no chance. Everyone knows that aside from delusional fanboys, so i don't understand why you keep repeating it. You're not countering anyone's argument. You're basically discussing something that no one brought up

Last edited:
Back