Elbow Guard - Golden Age Muay Thai

Wrestling wins against any style of stand up fighting, boxing is irrelevant to it
you could also say boxing wins against any form of grappling. because a lot of street fights finish with the first punch throw.

lol no

Great uppercuts are a minority in the sport of boxing. Also a boxer likely won't be able to get around the kicks of an experienced Thai Boxer. The whole point of the guard is that it flows through and into other guards, like this one which an uppercut can't get through:

Besides an uppercut is supposed to come out straight at a slight upwards trajectory meaning in a lot of cases it would just end up hitting the elbow

this is part of the reason why uppercuts arent as common in MT. The knee is like an uppercut

any style wins against any style

7Yq5FF34mHo3-uXnzkb8C43b-rvMV042Tx_712ap2Vc.jpg

Will you 2 shout your mouths? The thread is about the golden age of MT, and you come here saying things like that?
"I love boxing, boxing is pretty dope... "

It's a public forum, go elsewhere to talk about your disgusting kinks...

Will you 2 shout your mouths? The thread is about the golden age of MT, and you come here saying things like that?

don't worry some thai fighters turn out to be really good boxers as well.

Boxing is pretty dope...

Didn't Randy use something similar against vitor in their first fight?

Also, I recall JKD elbow destruction that was similar to this.

I'm not a huge fan. The fighters who make it work in MT and MMA have a system in place that has answers for it's short comings and they use it sparingly. Mcgregor has decent footwork for MMA. I think having a system that has answers to most problems is key. In that sense it's deceptively more advanced than it lets on, guys who use it well have a style that flows in and out of it. Now maybe I'm making calculus out of nothing.. but I'd rather see MT and MMA guys, develop a jab, develop and advance their footwork instead of rely on aspects of defense that almost always have you getting touched up first. Distance control is just as valid in MT and it works, and makes the clinch game that much more effective.

You'll always be vulnerable somewhere if you're just standing there and blocking (hell if you're just slipping, parrying, catching). What addresses all of that is distance management, footwork and how you handle the inside game/clinch. If positioning isn't your bedrock it doesn't really matter how you choose to block.

I'm not a huge fan. The fighters who make it work in MT and MMA have a system in place that has answers for it's short comings and they use it sparingly. Mcgregor has decent footwork for MMA. I think having a system that has answers to most problems is key. In that sense it's deceptively more advanced than it lets on, guys who use it well have a style that flows in and out of it. Now maybe I'm making calculus out of nothing.. but I'd rather see MT and MMA guys, develop a jab, develop and advance their footwork instead of rely on aspects of defense that almost always have you getting touched up first. Distance control is just as valid in MT and it works, and makes the clinch game that much more effective.

You'll always be vulnerable somewhere if you're just standing there and blocking (hell if you're just slipping, parrying, catching). What addresses all of that is distance management, footwork and how you handle the inside game/clinch. If positioning isn't your bedrock it doesn't really matter how you choose to block.

I don't think you're wrong, but I did mention before that this is something in part used for clinch fighters. Something I would say though is that while a jab is valid, in Muay Thai it tends to get replaced with a lead teep. I think this guard is especially good for fighters that like to fall into their opponents space and fight up close, which is part of why its great with elbows

I don't think you're wrong, but I did mention before that this is something in part used for clinch fighters. Something I would say though is that while a jab is valid, in Muay Thai it tends to get replaced with a lead teep. I think this guard is especially good for fighters that like to fall into their opponents space and fight up close, which is part of why its great with elbows

Yeah teep too but the jab has the added benefit of always being available and not sacrificing the integrity of your stance. But I agree the teep is just as important, I see them as equally important in MT.

Anyway good point on it suiting the clincher, I like this version better, the wedge.

Yeah teep too but the jab has the added benefit of always being available and not sacrificing the integrity of your stance. But I agree the teep is just as important, I see them as equally important in MT.

Anyway good point on it suiting the clincher, I like this version better, the wedge.

A good teep does not sacrifice your stance and it's as available as a jab but with better range and power.......it also has the added benefit of being able to hit someone practically anywhere with it......you can intercept your opponents punch, kick, knee.....etc you cannot intercept a long knee or kick with a jab.....

This channel is fantastic, I've been using it a lot lately

A good teep does not sacrifice your stance and it's as available as a jab but with better range and power.......it also has the added benefit of being able to hit someone practically anywhere with it......you can intercept your opponents punch, kick, knee.....etc you cannot intercept a long knee or kick with a jab.....

I've been relying on my teep in sparring for close to 9 years, so I know once you develop your balance and hips it's a pretty stable base position to be throwing the leg from. Regardless of how efficient and how good it is (and I'm not trying to say it isn't, IMO most kickboxers and MT people even don't use it enough), you're still on one leg. I didn't say don't teep, but I said jab as much as you teep, and that the jab is coming from an objectively more stable stance (one foot on the ground vs two). Maybe I shouldn't have painted it that way but I still stand by the assertion that MT and MMA guys really don't jab enough, and honestly don't teep enough either.

This channel is fantastic, I've been using it a lot lately

Yeah Joe breaks down a lot of technique and stategy in a really digestible way both for beginners and intermediates/advanced people/fighters.

I've been relying on my teep in sparring for close to 9 years, so I know once you develop your balance and hips it's a pretty stable base position to be throwing the leg from. Regardless of how efficient and how good it is (and I'm not trying to say it isn't, IMO most kickboxers and MT people even don't use it enough), you're still on one leg. I didn't say don't teep, but I said jab as much as you teep, and that the jab is coming from an objectively more stable stance (one foot on the ground vs two). Maybe I shouldn't have painted it that way but I still stand by the assertion that MT and MMA guys really don't jab enough, and honestly don't teep enough either.

Yeah Joe breaks down a lot of technique and stategy in a really digestible way both for beginners and intermediates/advanced people/fighters.

Need to watch less Western Thai boxing bit more fights in Thailand, loads of teeps of all shapes and sizes.......plus a teep scores, jabs not so much.......

@Kickzilla

I didn't say don't teep, but I said jab as much as you teep,

I don't really agree with that. To be able to jab, you have to enter inside the kicking distance. And while you jab, you cannot protect your ribs from the roundhouse counter, or your front leg from a low. So to jab in MT you have to deal first with the opponent's teep, and then with his roundhouses.
On the other hand, the teep is the longest weapon. It can hurt, it can stop, it can counter, all that from a safe distance.
Plus you can target any area you want, from hips to plexus to head.
Plus, as said before, the jab doesn't score shit.

So for me, the teep is just a better jab...

Last edited:
Back