Ego Lifting still a problem in commercial "big box" gyms

Jack Handy jr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's why you normally see squat racks abandoned unless people are doing curls.

TBH I think the name should be changed to the curl rack. Most people seem to not have a problem struggling with 135lbs on the bench. But the same does not go for the initial struggle on the squat until gains are made.

I think its ego. Guys don't mind benching 135 because no one is looking. When you put 225 on a squat bar and struggle to lift it without a round back, or bending all the way over. imo I think dudes are Just embarrassed.

that said I'm fully aware that skipping leg day is an American god given inalienable right. But it shouldn't be done. And if you are a leg day skipper(no leg extensions and presses do not count) you should be ashamed.

full disclosure..... I no longer squat or train legs. I've basically turned into a 43 year old version of CT Fletcher where everyday is arm day. But I have an excuse. what's yours?

Thoughts

Did you mean to ask this question to someone at your gym instead of on a forum where pretty much everyone squats?

Not sure what the obsession with squats is. It is a great exercise but if your goal is just to have bigger legs then Leg presses + RDLs will yield comparable results.

Not sure what the obsession with squats is. It is a great exercise but if your goal is just to have bigger legs then Leg presses + RDLs will yield comparable results.

So just save time and squat ?

the Freudian slip of a closet leg day skipper.

That's why you normally see squat racks abandoned unless people are doing curls.

TBH I think the name should be changed to the curl rack. Most people seem to not have a problem struggling with 135lbs on the bench. But the same does not go for the initial struggle on the squat until gains are made.

I think its ego. Guys don't mind benching 135 because no one is looking. When you put 225 on a squat bar and struggle to lift it without a round back, or bending all the way over. imo I think dudes are Just embarrassed.

that said I'm fully aware that skipping leg day is an American god given inalienable right. But it shouldn't be done. And if you are a leg day skipper(no leg extensions and presses do not count) you should be ashamed.

full disclosure..... I no longer squat or train legs. I've basically turned into a 43 year old version of CT Fletcher where everyday is arm day. But I have an excuse. what's yours?

Thoughts
abandoned squat racks? I've had to wait for my turn at the rack ever since the Cult of Rippetoe turned everyone into squat fanatics 5 years ago. TBH I'd prefer if everyone went back to their brosplits and stop hogging up the racks and deadlift platform.

Thoughts
I do hate that, the gym is go to is really crowded but they only have 2 squat racks (lame)... Drives me crazy when I'm trying to do legs and 2 roid head kooks are taking up the racks doing shrugs or curls or some bs. Dipshits should Go use some god damn Dumbbells or something!!

Is this a self-hatred thread for not being able to squat? Full cuck mode IMO.

Totally lose out on the core and lower back effects of squats

Thoughts
I squat and do deadlifts. I also train bjj 3 times a week and run. I follow tactical barbell principles. I do not lift at a big box gym. I have a squat rack, kettlebells, a sled, sandbags and other torture devices in my garage. I just moved into a new house so I am looking for a good place for a chin up bar. My problem is my diet is shit so I'm a little fat, even after all that exercise.

No one does squats just to have bigger legs.

The cheaper the gym is, the more ego lifters and non-serious lifters you'll find.

The cheaper the gym is, the more ego lifters and non-serious lifters you'll find.
True. I go to 24 hour fitness because they have a really cheap deal from Costco but it is definitely all curlers, along with a mix of soccer moms and old folks.

There are way more chicks than the other gyms though, gotta love that.

True. I go to 24 hour fitness because they have a really cheap deal from Costco but it is definitely all curlers, along with a mix of soccer moms and old folks.

There are way more chicks than the other gyms though, gotta love that.

The one I'm currently at is a bare bones "no-frills" type gym that runs me for $20 a month. At first it was okay when I first joined, now I find the clientele lacks any sort of gym etiquette. No one re-racks their weight. One guy stacked a crapload of plates onto the leg press, then walked away so the next person can think in awe.
At first we had a barbell for every station/rack, now 3 of them are broken. Apparently there are toolbags that try out Olympic lifts and slam the bar on the ground. We have rubber plates, but for some reason they think they're bumper plates.

At least I have an excuse if I strip plates off, since no one here re-racks it.

Yeah, I guess you kinda get what you pay for. My cheap ass gym is always crowded and the locker room is a god damn pietry dish. I would never go near it without shoes.

Olympic lifts without bumper plates? Lucky no one has gotten hurt, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

Most people go to the gym to look good and as a rule, having a muscular upper body is more bang for your buck for that goal. So they do more upper and legs.

I don't squat or DL at all. I used to but my back is fucked so it's just too painful and risky. I do a lot of single leg stuff instead - split squats, single leg DLs etc. I actually find them more "functional" in terms of everyday use and sports. I find myself doing the single leg SLDL movement when I pick stuff up all the time. Nearly kicked some lady in the supermarket swinging that back leg out!

What do you think is the typical clientele at commercial gyms? Are you surprised? Strength enthusiast/hobbyist and athletes only represent a insignificant percent of the population at commercial gyms. Of course not all commercial gyms are created equal. I know and trained with many powerlifters and strength athletes from beginner to world class elite that primarily workout at commercial gyms.

LOLWOT!

Fueled by the adrenaline of the nearby trading floors, this converted Art Deco-inspired bank features plush, elegant interiors designed by David Rockwell. Think of Equinox Wall Street as a luxurious 1920s gentleman’s club, electrified by the energy of its high-octane members.[/QUOTE}

The problem is that I would definitely work at and/or own something like this...

https://www.equinox.com/clubs/new-york/downtown/wallstreet
https://www.instagram.com/davidbartongym/

while my gym is 200 dollars for a year and has a full assortment of specialty bars, bumper plates, strongman equipment and dumbbells up to 250 lbs.

Fair enough. It depends on the area as well, there aren't too many powerlifting gyms here, there are 2 I know of, and they're both quite far from me to commute before/after work.
I don't really consider Equinox a gym though, its more of a high end fitness spa/club.

Back