Ego Lifting still a problem in commercial "big box" gyms

I have never peacocked around a gym with swag and wife beater.

I'm the guy with the gallon water jug, full champion sweats, listening to Linkin Park minding my own business envisioning myself decapitating some Roman soldier as a barbarian on a mid evil European battlefield.

Also I'm an eighties kid.

Hulk Hogan, Chuck Norris,G.l.Joe, Rambo,WWF, and Colonel Matrix were my male role models. and what I unconsciously deemed was manly and what I wanted to look like/be when I grew up.

See, its not really any different. Im not saying we all have to show off to others. I dont take gym selfies and not saying were all douche bags flexing on everyone.

You dont think what you just describes is you working on your ego for yourself? It is. Theres nothing wrong with it either.

Also for those breaking my bags about Linkin Park.....lets be honest gentleman Linkin Park is everyone's guilty gym motivation pleasure.

If you guys will be honest all of you have Linkin park hits on a playlist on your Walkman.

I ain't even guilty!
giphy.gif

A lot of people squat at golds but their percentages are shit.

I'm not a god, but I can squat 315 for five without much issue and I weigh 165.

I feel that most of the gym bros are in the range of squatting 300-400 lbs but they weigh like 250-300 lbs and have high ass body fat. They look like circles. They will always talk down to you too. Angry little fat guys.

Not sure what the obsession with squats is. It is a great exercise but if your goal is just to have bigger legs then Leg presses + RDLs will yield comparable results.
Not only that, I squat, and I have a USAW degree where my focus was on deadlift, squat, powerclean, bench, and press.

I will be the first motherfucker to tell you I think the obsession is group think. The squat and the deadlift are the new "king exercises" in the gym.

I actually am way happier front squatting for 6 weeks, and doing pistol squats for six weeks. My vertical jump is amazing (compared to before, I'm not black), and my sprints are way better. My legs feel amazing. Even my doggy style is off the chain. But I've gone 1-2 years without squatting (when I injured my shoulder) and I didn't lose shit as far as leg gains and strength. I just did other shit and was more than fine.

Doing squats today. Not listening to Linkin Park and definitely not Nickleback. Linkin Park is ok but not while lifting.

I'll add Luke Skywalker as one of my role models. I still try to use the Force sometimes to life the weights.

I try to force pull my remote control off the bed after I've sat in my chair tired from the gym. The other day I swore it moved

Last edited:
After twenty plus years of lifting in your golds, and worlds gym type place I just love the gym the unconscious sizing up that goes on I liken to a prison yard.

The women acting like they don't like you staring at them yet there wearing tighter and less clothes than chicks at a night club.

The loud grunting guys when there bent back curling 85lbs on the oly bar weight included.

If I could do it again I'd open my own gym.

The women acting like they don't like you staring at them yet there wearing tighter and less clothes than chicks at a night club.[\QUOTE]

I'll agree with you on this @Jack Handy jr

See, its not really any different. Im not saying we all have to show off to others. I dont take gym selfies and not saying were all douche bags flexing on everyone.

You dont think what you just describes is you working on your ego for yourself? It is. Theres nothing wrong with it either.
Lol now you're cherry picking whatever people say that supports your argument without actually arguing it yourself. Gtfo

Lol now you're cherry picking whatever people say that supports your argument without actually arguing it yourself. Gtfo
I dont see how I cherry picked anything.

You dont think there is ego at play lifting? Cool. I do, and there is tons of evidence in any gym to support it. Youre likely guilty of much of it yourself even if you dont see it/want to admit it.

A lot of people squat at golds but their percentages are shit.

I'm not a god, but I can squat 315 for five without much issue and I weigh 165.

I feel that most of the gym bros are in the range of squatting 300-400 lbs but they weigh like 250-300 lbs and have high ass body fat. They look like circles. They will always talk down to you too. Angry little fat guys.
emoji2_zpsmz1yhevx.png

I have friend I met a college FB thats this. Deadlifts 405 and slams the bar down every video. Some of them he just lifts on the concentric and drops it without doing the eccentric. He's 250-260lbs.
I'm not strong either, and probably everyone's numbers here puts me to shame, but damn, I'd never flaunt weak numbers that low like I'm a national PL champ.

Not only that, I squat, and I have a USAW degree where my focus was on deadlift, squat, powerclean, bench, and press.

I will be the first motherfucker to tell you I think the obsession is group think. The squat and the deadlift are the new "king exercises" in the gym.

I actually am way happier front squatting for 6 weeks, and doing pistol squats for six weeks. My vertical jump is amazing (compared to before, I'm not black), and my sprints are way better. My legs feel amazing. Even my doggy style is off the chain. But I've gone 1-2 years without squatting (when I injured my shoulder) and I didn't lose shit as far as leg gains and strength. I just did other shit and was more than fine.
Ding ding ding! Exactly.

abandoned squat racks? I've had to wait for my turn at the rack ever since the Cult of Rippetoe turned everyone into squat fanatics 5 years ago. TBH I'd prefer if everyone went back to their brosplits and stop hogging up the racks and deadlift platform.

forget 5 years ago, way back in 05-07 i been trying to get women with good glute genetics to do backsquats, that was very hard before the crossfit/instagram booty craze came in.

Also for those breaking my balls about Linkin Park.....lets be honest gentleman Linkin Park is everyone's guilty gym motivation pleasure.

If you guys will be honest all of you have Linkin park hits on a playlist on your Walkman.

- Roads Untraveled is a great song.
I like to listen the Transformers soundtrack.

Till All Are One

In a cold, far away world
A battle is raging between evil and good
From the stars, they came here to earth
Caught in their struggle through the whole universe
Robotic warriors give it their all
Fight in disguise, 'til the victor stands tall

Transformers
Defenders of truth, robots who fight in disguise
Transformers
When the battle is through, only the strong will survive
Til all are one

- Now i gonna punch the mouth of my 14 year cousin who said that those stupid robots from Pacfic Rim would beat Bumble-Bee, Optimus and Grimlock.
We wound`t even be here if wasn`t fro those noble warriors.

Btw, The Barbarian Brothers where my gym heroes when i was growing-up in the 90`s. Used to do curls with 5 kgs weights and dress as a member of the Nsync.

NSYNC-lycra-shirts.jpg

barbarians01.jpg

Last edited:

Till All Are One

Transformers
Transformers
Til all are one

- Now i gonna punch the mouth of my 14 year cousin who said that those stupid robots from Pacfic Rim would beat Bumble-Bee, Optimus and Grimlock.

Btw, The Barbarian Brothers where my gym heroes when i was growing-up in the 90`s. Used to do curls with 5 kgs weights and dress as a member of the Nsync.

NSYNC-lycra-shirts.jpg

barbarians01.jpg

Barbarian brothers hell yeah I'm not alone in this world...

.and bro.......seriously.......I got a case of the feels when I saw Optimus with the matrix. All jokes aside I thought I was the only forty plus swole mofo walking around the gym listing to the transformers soundtrack.

When I'm about to hit a heavy set of curls I take a moment, close my eyes, and envision Prime telling hound and the Dino bots that

"Megatron must be stopped....no matter the cost"

slow transformation to Stan bush's YOU GOT the TOUCH ...YOU GOT THE POWEEEEER....YEAH!!!

I may or may not have watched that movie a couple hundred times since 1986.

I'm going on a posting sabbatical until the memory of this post fades from you guys memories.

Till All Are One

Transformers
Transformers
Til all are one

NSYNC-lycra-shirts.jpg

barbarians01.jpg

I have instruments of destruction in my gym playlist

Not sure what the obsession with squats is. It is a great exercise but if your goal is just to have bigger legs then Leg presses + RDLs will yield comparable results.

Lol yea no. Ask any competetive bodybuilder if they should just do leg press.

Back