Dustin Poirier Had to Find Internal Motivation to Face ‘Young Lion’ Benoit St. Denis

I wanna prove that I still have it .
What’s my motivation?
I know the show is coming to a close.

Statements like this usually signify the beginning of the end

I have so much respect for Poirier for accepting this fight. St. Denis is hyped by hardcores (and rightfully so) but is pretty much unknown by casuals.

Big risk, and if he wins he won't get nearly the credit he deserves.

I really like BSD too and I'm hoping for a FOTY type performance from both guys.

I wanna know who he thought he was gonna fight, he's already fought all the legends and former champions and is coming off a KO loss. He pretty much exhausted his options. At some point you gotta face the new guys and coming off a loss is usually the right time.

El Diamante always brings it. a loyal and tested disciple of the JBG. and seems like a swell fella. Poirier has several fights that are HOF worthy.
on the other hand, BSD has proven himself to be a freshly devoted follower of the JBG. respectful, but intense.

i predict the winner will be THE FANS

(but also i hope Poirier wins, no shade on BSD he's great too)

Dustin is an all time great UFC fighter, the fact he is giving a killer like BSD a chance it shows he isn't afraid of anybody.

My estimation of Dustin a fighter and a man fucking skyrocketed
Dustin just doing Dustin things

giphy.gif

I have so much respect for Poirier for accepting this fight. St. Denis is hyped by hardcores (and rightfully so) but is pretty much unknown by casuals.

Big risk, and if he wins he won't get nearly the credit he deserves.

I really like BSD too and I'm hoping for a FOTY type performance from both guys.

Agreed, pretty ballsy move by Poirier. He's getting up there in fight years and in this fight he faces a guy who is ferocious, and quite a bit younger. And because BSD isn't known by many casuals, like you said, if he wins he won't get much credit for it. I will be rooting for Poirier, but it should be a fun fight.

DP doesn't seem to be on good terms with the UFC

He had to pull the "I didn't sign a contract yet" card only to do a U-Turn and come back right in for the fight anyways

There seems to be some issue behind the scenes. I'm not surprised, DP spoiled the McGregor hype... and Dana is looking to punish
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Fight of the Year?

Does Dustin ever reach the mountain top?

The Diamonds last ride?

See you in Bare Knuckle?
I think this could be the Beginning of the End for Poirier in his UFC career. It might in fact BE the end.

- This fight could quite easily be a gritty blood-soaked Battle of the Ages, USA vs France.
I believe Father Time is tapping Dustin on the shoulder and Dustin is doing his best to ignore the tapping but....it's there and getting more insistent all the time....

Benoit is a relentless gallic wave of aggression and hostility and I think his relative youth and determination will result in him finishing Poirier latre in this fight, Rd 4 or 5 probably.
Having said that....Dustin is one tough dude and has plenty of 5rd-fight experience and has been in some very tough fights indeed (I particularly remmber the Hooker fight, that really was pretty brutal) so it's quite possible the old Louisiana warhorse gets it done again in a back-and-forth slugfest.

Either way, I can easily see this bout being Fight of the Night. It's got the ingredients right.... and 5rounds is plenty of time for both fighters to get deep in the trenches.

Benoit by TKO as ref steps in late in the 4th.

I think this could be the Beginning of the End for Poirier in his UFC career. It might in fact BE the end.

- This fight could quite easily be a gritty blood-soaked Battle of the Ages, USA vs France.
I believe Father Time is tapping Dustin on the shoulder and Dustin is doing his best to ignore the tapping but....it's there and getting more insistent all the time....

Benoit is a relentless gallic wave of aggression and hostility and I think his relative youth and determination will result in him finishing Poirier latre in this fight, Rd 4 or 5 probably.
Having said that....Dustin is one tough dude and has plenty of 5rd-fight experience and has been in some very tough fights indeed (I particularly remmber the Hooker fight, that really was pretty brutal) so it's quite possible the old Louisiana warhorse gets it done again in a back-and-forth slugfest.

Either way, I can easily see this bout being Fight of the Night. It's got the ingredients right.... and 5rounds is plenty of time for both fighters to get deep in the trenches.

Benoit by TKO as ref steps in late in the 4th.
8adf3c465aac9f30f557b5de319e1506

Once again the UFC drops the ball

E8ouHDFVoAMwlhy.jpg

That would have been an epic matchup when it was first rumored to be in the works. Not so much these days. What would Nate even fight at? Bloated 170? Thumbs down. Would be more of a reminder of the disappointment of it not being scheduled when both guys were in their primes.

Back