Dustin Poirier Had to Find Internal Motivation to Face ‘Young Lion’ Benoit St. Denis

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
EoujK_lU0AA60mu.jpg

Dustin Poirier had to have some profound conversations with himself going into his UFC 299 clash against Benoit St. Denis.

After extending his finish streak to five with a brutal-head kick knockout over Matt Frevola, St. Denis aimed high with a callout of Poirier. While “The Diamond” was initially dismissive of the callout, he was taken by surprise when the UFC offered him the fight.

As one of the biggest stars of the sport, Poirier had to seriously consider why he would accept the booking against a dangerous up-and-comer. While he almost knew all along that he would accept the booking, Poirier found motivation in the need to test himself.

“I was more surprised when they offered it to me,” he told ESPN. “I thought it was gonna be another legend in the fight game or a former champion, something you know that’s gonna be big. Not that this isn’t big. That’s why I flipped it you know. Personally I had to flip it, like ‘What’s my motivation, why am I gonna do this?’ Just to fight? Because I don’t know what else to do with my time. Am I fighting for money? I know I’m not fighting for money, money is great. But why am I getting up and running these miles and getting beat up the gym and pushing myself and going to sleep hungry, and why am I doing that?

“I thought deeply about it before coming to training camp and when I committed to this fight. And the answer to all those questions is, to test myself. Thirty fights in the UFC, let me fight this young man who has fire in his eyes, he’s a young lion who’s finishing people. Let me put myself in front of his guy and see what happens. I know I still have it but I wanna prove it to myself.”

While he has been a perennial top contender at 155 pounds, undisputed gold has evaded Poirier despite two title shots. “The Diamond” isn’t desperate for a shot right now and wants to solely focus on Saturday’s challenge. With a career spanning over 15 years already, Poirier also acknowledges that the show is nearing its end. Despite his immense love for the sport, which takes away a part of him almost every time he competes, Poirier can’t choose it over his loved ones.

Didn’t he just shave his head?

EoujK_lU0AA60mu.jpg

Dustin Poirier had to have some profound conversations with himself going into his UFC 299 clash against Benoit St. Denis.

After extending his finish streak to five with a brutal-head kick knockout over Matt Frevola, St. Denis aimed high with a callout of Poirier. While “The Diamond” was initially dismissive of the callout, he was taken by surprise when the UFC offered him the fight.

As one of the biggest stars of the sport, Poirier had to seriously consider why he would accept the booking against a dangerous up-and-comer. While he almost knew all along that he would accept the booking, Poirier found motivation in the need to test himself.

“I was more surprised when they offered it to me,” he told ESPN. “I thought it was gonna be another legend in the fight game or a former champion, something you know that’s gonna be big. Not that this isn’t big. That’s why I flipped it you know. Personally I had to flip it, like ‘What’s my motivation, why am I gonna do this?’ Just to fight? Because I don’t know what else to do with my time. Am I fighting for money? I know I’m not fighting for money, money is great. But why am I getting up and running these miles and getting beat up the gym and pushing myself and going to sleep hungry, and why am I doing that?

“I thought deeply about it before coming to training camp and when I committed to this fight. And the answer to all those questions is, to test myself. Thirty fights in the UFC, let me fight this young man who has fire in his eyes, he’s a young lion who’s finishing people. Let me put myself in front of his guy and see what happens. I know I still have it but I wanna prove it to myself.”

While he has been a perennial top contender at 155 pounds, undisputed gold has evaded Poirier despite two title shots. “The Diamond” isn’t desperate for a shot right now and wants to solely focus on Saturday’s challenge. With a career spanning over 15 years already, Poirier also acknowledges that the show is nearing its end. Despite his immense love for the sport, which takes away a part of him almost every time he competes, Poirier can’t choose it over his loved ones.

Very neat insight -- it can't be easy to get up for a fight against BSD if you're Poirier -- that's no knock on BSD either. You have a guy that has fought for the title mutliple times and competed against the biggest stars the sport has ever seen going up against an up and comer that has only been doing MMA for 6 years; what sort of flames is this new challenger going to ignite for Dustin? I give him props for accepting this fight.

Fighters talking about motivation always feels like the beginning of the end.

Don't tell BJ Penn I said that. Last thing I need is an altercation at the airport.

{<BJPeen}

I have so much respect for Poirier for accepting this fight. St. Denis is hyped by hardcores (and rightfully so) but is pretty much unknown by casuals.

Big risk, and if he wins he won't get nearly the credit he deserves.

I really like BSD too and I'm hoping for a FOTY type performance from both guys.

“I was more surprised when they offered it to me,” he told ESPN. “I thought it was gonna be another legend in the fight game or a former champion, something you know that’s gonna be big.​

I wanna know who he thought he was gonna fight, he's already fought all the legends and former champions and is coming off a KO loss. He pretty much exhausted his options. At some point you gotta face the new guys and coming off a loss is usually the right time.

El Diamante always brings it. a loyal and tested disciple of the JBG. and seems like a swell fella. Poirier has several fights that are HOF worthy.
on the other hand, BSD has proven himself to be a freshly devoted follower of the JBG. respectful, but intense.

i predict the winner will be THE FANS

(but also i hope Poirier wins, no shade on BSD he's great too)

Back