Don't call a fight a robbery unless you feel the loser CLEARLY won 8 rounds or more

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
Does this seem like a fair rule? It seems like every time there's a close pick-em fight, you got people screaming out "ROBBERY" and "CORRUPTION". If you feel a fighter won 7-5 and some of those 7 rounds were razor close that could have went either way, it's not a robbery.

De La Hoya was robbed against Trinidad, because he clearly won 8 or 9 rounds.

I agree, the term robbery is thrown around too casually. I felt Jacobs won but it was not a robbery.

Exactly. This fight had a lot of swing rounds in it. Could have gone either way

I had it 9-3 Jacobs, with the 10-8 round for GGG. I thought GGG was hesitant and neutralized, and more over, losing the exchanges. People can say what they like about my card, only the KD made GGG look like the harder puncher for a sec, the rest of the fight he looked to be the one feeling the shots, not Jacobs

I had it 9-3 Jacobs, with the 10-8 round for GGG. I thought GGG was hesitant and neutralized, and more over, losing the exchanges. People can say what they like about my card, only the KD made GGG look like the harder puncher for a sec, the rest of the fight he looked to be the one feeling the shots, not Jacobs
I saw it pretty wide too. I thought Jacobs took Golovkin out of his comfort zone and reduced him to stealing rounds with flurries.

I thought the same thing about Kovalev/Ward. Walking forward doesn't mean your winning necessarily. It might mean you're getting outboxed.

Close, but wouldn't have been a robbery either way. Similar to Kovalev vs Ward.

Golovkin did more but there were some close rounds.

I saw it pretty wide too. I thought Jacobs took Golovkin out of his comfort zone and reduced him to stealing rounds with flurries.

I thought the same thing about Kovalev/Ward. Walking forward doesn't mean your winning necessarily. It might mean you're getting outboxed.

Great breakdown, we saw the same fight.

I thought Ward dominated Kov after 3rd round.

If you saw 9-3 either way, you had your mind made up before the fight started.

I didn't score it as I was watching it, but felt it was close and could go either way or draw. Definitely NOT a robbery. The Gonzalez fight would be a bad decision, but still not a robbery, I thought he definitely won a pretty close fight.

Or maybe he just scores with a different style. Get off your high horse.

You also called GGG getting dec after scoring it (correctly) for Danny, lol, nice

Nice try. I score fights to see who wins, not a thing to do with favoritism. Don't worry, I couldn't tell who was really winning when I first started watching boxing either

I usually score the fights because I watch them at home, this time I watched it at a friends house and there was a lot of talking and distractions going on.

...even then, how did he win the 8 rounds? where they close? where there knockdowns? etc, there are a lot of factors that play in in a close fight and last night was a perfect example, but definitley not controversial

It was intriguing to see GGG look average, and seeing Jacobs adjust accordingly for a fight, I would love a rematch

You also called GGG getting dec after scoring it (correctly) for Danny, lol, nice

Nice try. I score fights to see who wins, not a thing to do with favoritism. Don't worry, I couldn't tell who was really winning when I first started watching boxing either

I see what you did there. Because you had an insanely lopsided scorecard that no official judge, member of press row, or respected member of the boxing community had anything even remotely close to, I'M the one that doesn't know anything. I'm glad I can count on you to tell me who's really winning.

Or maybe he just scores with a different style. Get off your high horse.

I dunno, I like scoring based on effective aggression, ring generalship, landed shots, and damage done. I guess there are other ways to do it, though.

I dunno, I like scoring based on effective aggression, ring generalship, landed shots, and damage done. I guess there are other ways to do it, though.
You don't score damage. How bloody a guy is, or having an eye closed has nothing to do with scoring. You also left out defense 25% ,of the equation and made up a criteria, damage, which is telling.

This isn't about last night's fight, but if Figher A wins 7 rounds clear enough and Fighter B wins 5 rounds clear enough, and the decision goes to Fighter B then I certainly going to call out the judges for a bad decision even if it's a 115-113 type fight. At least two of the judges would have screwed up and gave 2 rounds to a fighter they shouldn't have in that scenario, which is wrong. I don't need 8 rounds.

I agree. Last night I had Jacobs winning and scored round by round. However, I specifically remember in the first few rounds, and two of the middle, that they were so close you really could go either way. I doubted who I had it for immediately. I don't know how you could score some of those rounds, in fact I would have preferred to go 10-10 for at least one of them.

That's not a robbery, that's just a close fight. People get caught up in momentum shifts as well - since Jacobs did well down the stretch, people remember him as if he was clearly dominant throughout. Most people don't score and jot down fights round by round live as they happen and so when the fight turns around to one guy toward the latter half, lots of people scream robbery based off that.

Also just to be clear I had it 8 rounds to 4 for Jacobs with GGG getting the 10-8 in 4 obviously.. but like I said.. a few of those rounds were just so close that I knew it was all subject to opinion and personal views on how to score a fight by the people assigned to the bout. I thought Jacobs deserved to win but wasn't shocked that they gave it to GGG.

For those asking how Jacbos won those rounds, well it seemed to me that he was picking his shots from the outside and that GGG wasn't doing anything except walking him down, occasionally connecting a jab and missing with lunging hooks. So I felt that even though GGG was pushing the pace, Jacobs was successfully picking him off from the outside and avoiding damage for most of the fight.. which is how you beat a guy like Golovkin

I'm a huge GGG fan btw. But I watched the fight and scored who I thought won after each round live, with no bias, and that was the conclusion I came to. It was definitely worrying as the fight went on, because like I said, I really like GGG.

That is also how I saw both fights. However, I admit, a lot of rounds in both fights were very close. I have no problem with either decision, or would have no problem if either went the other way.

Back