Does anyone think the UFC is running out of stars? Cards getting boring.

A list stars

Jones
Conor
Israel
Potan

B list stars
Colby
Khazmat

C list

Edwards
Shazrmat
Volk

It seems as if the UFC does not have lots of a tier stars anymore. It makes cards dull as good cards with stars are few and far between.

Previously we had

GSP
Penn
Jones
Brock
Andy
Cro cop
DC
Anthony Johnson
Conor
Aldo

I agree.

They keep rematching the same ship people into each other, and don't have enough depth to sustain interest.

When I watched Leon Edwards versus Usman II, I fell asleep at my computer and went to bed.

I later woke up, checked my phone, and realized Edwards KO'd Usman. I was excited to watch the end, but no one on earth could make me watch the entire fight again.

Round 1 was exciting because of Edwards. Rounds 2-4 were boring AF because of Usman.

Round five was exciting because of Edwards.

When Edwards versus Usman III came out, I almost paid for it. But then I remembered how fogging boring the second fight actually was. I didn't pay for it.

In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Just watched it on UFC Fight Pass for free. I watched the first two rounds, and again turned it off.

Now if you put someone like Pereira in there, who you know is going for the finish, kill or be killed, I will watch and pay every time. But a POS like Usman, no, sorry. Not watching a clinch and foot stops for five rounds.

Holloway? I will always pay to watch Max Holloway. Yair Rodriguez? Yes again. (I think Rodriguez is on the precipice of being an actual star. If he beats Volkanovski he will have arrived.)

But fighters like Sam Alvey? Why is even in there anymore? 0.0% chance of being a champion,

I think Moreno has star potential, and I will pay to watch Henry Cejudo, Makhachev, Chimaev, and other elite level fighters.

But I don't give two shits what happens if "to multi-losing journeyman meet", you literally would have to pay me to watch that stuff.

And I probably would decline the payment.

The names on the card have never dictated the quality of the event. But it is a fact that we are seeing an all-time record high of no names on fight cards every week. It could be because there are too many fighters on the roster, but I really think the more no names and the less names, the less the UFC has to pay out every event. It is annoying, but so long as the fights deliver that's all I'm really in it for anyway.

People always take the biggest stars over the course of 15 years and combine them all as if they were at their peak stardom the same year lol

The UFC’s problem (for me anyway) is phony, bullshit matchmaking

And I do think they hold onto the guys with names longer than they should which probably pushes back the up and coming guys becoming big names

I mean imagine WW right now if they had actually been booking fights that make sense for the past five years

I don't think we're ever going to top this era

ufc-goats.jpg

+ Lesnar and Ronda we're also selling more PPV's than anybody not named Conor in the last 10yrs.

Thats going to be the best period in MMA history

A list stars

Jones
Conor
Israel
Potan

B list stars
Colby
Khazmat

C list

Edwards
Shazrmat
Volk

It seems as if the UFC does not have lots of a tier stars anymore. It makes cards dull as good cards with stars are few and far between.

Previously we had

GSP
Penn
Jones
Brock
Andy
Cro cop
DC
Anthony Johnson
Conor
Aldo
Sounds like you think that.

It's the effect of card dilution. UFC is the star now, not the fighters.

Like it or not storylines create the stars and most in the sport are boring at the moment.

A list stars

Jones
Conor
Israel
Potan

B list stars
Colby
Khazmat

C list

Edwards
Shazrmat
Volk

Previously we had

GSP
Penn
Jones
Brock
Andy
Cro cop
DC
Anthony Johnson
Conor
Aldo
Join date checks out.<BC1>

Been thinking that for almost 10yrs now.
When I started watching MMA
in the LHW div alone

Rampage
Liddell
Tito
Wanderlei
Couture
Rashad
Jon Jones
Franklin
Shogun
Hendo
Machida
Vitor
Bader

Were all figthing each other every other card,
granted, some were past their prime and other green as fuck, but still.

That division was full of Killers for a while. I don't think any division has ever been as strong as that. I always assumed it was the weight class but it feels like Jones cleaned it out and left in a bad state.

I don’t think they even want stars other than super stars. The UFC is the star. A UFC star bring in MMA/UFC fans, which the UFC already has. Superstars create new fans Ala Conor/Rousey/Lesnar

It's more like hiring a plumber who's not worth the money you're paying, but he always has some crazy shit going on in his life to tell you about.

Anyways, I agree with what you wrote, except that I'm not interested in the entertainment aspect and my interest in the UFC is pretty near zero. If I didn't enjoy participating in the PBP threads here, I probably wouldn't watch the UFC.

I'm really enjoying watching stars rise in other orgs, though.
Lol, I hear you. And I'm glad you enjoy the other, more purist leagues. Good stuff. I'm a filthy casual and I do enjoy my UFC but I have zero illusions about what it is. I think they have some great fights, but everything outside of the skills on display is all entertainment. I guess we all have to work with these tradeoffs.

I can enjoy other leagues as well but I do think the UFC has good production value. For example I try to watch Bellator, but outside of a fight here and there, I can't sit through a bellator card - production value is so low that I can only watch a few key fights. I respect their treatment of fighters more but I can't really enjoy their product properly. It's all a trade off for me. I've watched a couple ONE cards and mostly enjoyed them.

But I'm a filthy casual who enjoys U Fight Cheap fights, can't lie. Go Dana and all that I guess. Lol....

Lol, I hear you. And I'm glad you enjoy the other, more purist leagues. Good stuff. I'm a filthy casual and I do enjoy my UFC but I have zero illusions about what it is. I think they have some great fights, but everything outside of the skills on display is all entertainment. I guess we all have to work with these tradeoffs.

I can enjoy other leagues as well but I do think the UFC has good production value. For example I try to watch Bellator, but outside of a fight here and there, I can't sit through a bellator card - production value is so low that I can only watch a few key fights. I respect their treatment of fighters more but I can't really enjoy their product properly. It's all a trade off for me. I've watched a couple ONE cards and mostly enjoyed them.

But I'm a filthy casual who enjoys U Fight Cheap fights, can't lie. Go Dana and all that I guess. Lol....

lol well, I'm not going to shit on you for liking what you like. To me, the production value is completely meaningless. It's like when people rave about the great vistas on display in the newest Star Wars trailer: I'm sitting here thinking, "But is the story going to suck ass again?"

lol well, I'm not going to shit on you for liking what you like. To me, the production value is completely meaningless. It's like when people rave about the great vistas on display in the newest Star Wars trailer: I'm sitting here thinking, "But is the story going to suck ass again?"
Well the production value keeps me from changing the program in between fights - I can sit through the in-between times better than many orgs. And I do think the fights are usually pretty good.

As for Star Wars, sadly everything after Empire Strikes Back has been mostly misses. But Andor, as "un-star wars" as it was, was actually a well put together product, even if no Jedis. Otherwise, yes, it will all continue to suck ass unless it departs from the tropes and cliches like Andor did.

Well the production value keeps me from changing the program in between fights - I can sit through the in-between times better than many orgs. And I do think the fights are usually pretty good.

As for Star Wars, sadly everything after Empire Strikes Back has been mostly misses. But Andor, as "un-star wars" as it was, was actually a well put together product, even if no Jedis. Otherwise, yes, it will all continue to suck ass unless it departs from the tropes and cliches like Andor did.

I've been hearing a lot of people rave about Andor, saying a lot of thought was put into it. I might have to check it out.

I've been hearing a lot of people rave about Andor, saying a lot of thought was put into it. I might have to check it out.
Good story, dialogue, acting, directing, and feel. Has droids and spacecraft but if you're tied to the jedi or sith elements they are non-existant. Which was refreshing for me, personally. Less gimmicks and cheap thrills and more actual story crafting.

A list stars

Jones
Conor
Israel
Potan

B list stars
Colby
Khazmat

C list

Edwards
Shazrmat
Volk

Previously we had

GSP
Penn
Jones
Brock
Andy
Cro cop
DC
Anthony Johnson
Conor
Aldo
You can add Dustin, Charles, Justin to the B - they're guaranteed to be in Barn burners every time.

It does seem to be less star power in the UFC these days. I'm okay with it as long as they're putting on good fights which they seem to be doing.
They're going to go full WWE soon - it's already happening. How many zeeks used the post fight interviews to say something "edgy" to rile people up.

It is what it is - you can't join the ufc, promote guys like conor, colby then complain when the other fighters take notice, see you partner with wwe and not take the opportunity to try and promote themselves (since they can't really use sponsors to get extra $$$).

It’s over-saturation of shows mixed with a lot of the big name fighters not wanting to fight more than once a year.

This is why guys like Izzy need to be celebrated more, he’s a legit star who actually fights, an increasing rarity these days.

Also the fucking useless apex shows have got to go,

Back