Does age effect women fighters the same as men?

andy18_1

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but as far as I know the decline is due to testostrone levels dropping, I'm no scientist or anything but I don't think female hormones work the same way. Will women be able to fight successfully for longer than men or am I just a moron?

Judging by how many women look like men by the time they hit 40 I would say they have a major increase in testosterone production. If testosterone is the main factor in athletic performance then it would make sense that women become better athletes with age.

Nah. Women tend to age worse. Their athetic prime isn't as long.

According to an infographic over at the Washington Post [LINK], female Olympic 2012 athletes ranged older in 14 (6) events vs 14 (7) for men (numbers in parenthesis show a how many of those were large differences). In fact, the men had a higher age range than women in Boxing, Fencing, TKD, and Wrestling.

Of course there could be other restrictions to participation such as work/family that would have non-equal impact between the genders, but without actually doing any more in-depth research, I would say that no: female athletes do not have a longevity advantage over men.

TS is absolutely right. Soon we will be seeing WMMA fighters well into their 80's.

This might be a stupid question but as far as I know the decline is due to testostrone levels dropping, I'm no scientist or anything but I don't think female hormones work the same way. Will women be able to fight successfully for longer than men or am I just a moron?

This is a great and very interesting question, too hard to give you an easy answer though. It would need some statistical research to find out the answer.

But obviously it cant be the exact same, there has to be some difference between two different genders.

What's a normal rate of test for women to have? Do they get tested the same as men?

I know there have been a few cases where female athletes have been advised to have abortions because its a theory that pregnancy takes to much out of the women's body and finishes an athletes career.

I don't follow any women athletes other than a few mma fighters but maybe you should look up on how many older females are still playing their respective sport as compared to men.

They generally have less testosterone and other androgenic hormones, so their regeneration etc. possibilities are worse.

Even guy with lowered level of those hormones will generally have more than ladies.

Also, decline is in no way as simple as 'hormones dropping' after all.

I'd say women tend to age 'sooner' most of the time, and way worse when it comes to physical aging.. at least their bodies show signs of aging way earlier on average, especially on the face department
Many chicks are starting to show signs of aging at ages 27 to 30 and the vast majority of them looks nothing alike their 20-25's physical appearance once they reach 30+
Some of them are literally "faded" as early as they reach they early 30's

age is undefeated in all weight classes in all sports and any gender

the decline in athletic performance is not mainly due to testosterone levels dropping. A normal male in their 30's shouldn't really have low testosterone. It's only suppose to be like a 1% decrease per year after age 30. Athletes are typically well outside of their prime long before they lose significant testosterone. Most athletes with low testosterone is due to steroid use or it can be due to other factors but it's not normal to have the low levels that many fighters have.

No, cause women come from Mars and they don't have dicks.

And... Yes!!! you are a Moron.

I know there have been a few cases where female athletes have been advised to have abortions because its a theory that pregnancy takes to much out of the women's body and finishes an athletes career.

I'm skeptical of this because I know there was a female British marathoner a few years ago who had a kid, then knocked out an amazing marathon time. Just one anecdote, I know, but take it for what it's worth.

Back