Do you think USA war crimes during the Iraq war are overlooked? Is it all over?

The sooner more people pay for war crimes and human rights abuse the better. It's always the untouchables getting away with ridiculous things.

I'm an atheist but I hope hell exists for war criminals with so much senseless blood on their hands like Bush.

Yes, Kissinger still walks around a free man.

Stopped reading there.

"Referring to photos of sexual and physical abuse that have drawn worldwide condemnation, Rumsfeld warned there are "a lot more photographs and videos" that haven't yet been seen. "If these are released to the public, obviously it's going to make matters worse."

He said he had not seen the videos, and did not describe them.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told reporters, "The American public needs to understand we're talking about rape and murder here. we're not just talking about giving people a humiliating experience." He did not elaborate."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9520-2004May7_2.html
Three lines open. He wont post anymore in this thread. -200. He will accuse you of using fake news +200. He will admit he is wrong +800.

well then I'm glad we can agree that war criminals from both sides should be held accountable.

I don't think you're going to find the intensity of "war crimes" - for the sake of argument you're interested in an international court trying US soldiers for abusing some criminals (some maybe not) in prison camps? You're aware our conflict with uniformed soldiers was less than a month? I believe we did internally punish many soldiers for violations to the UCMJ. There were multiple sources citing the number of investigations and sentencing. You essentially said don't use war as an excuse but, really war. We're you there? I personally took photos of Iraqis who were tortured and murdered in droves due to sectarian violence and I'll assure you those culprits went unpunished.

If you're sincerely interested in this then go for it.

We did prosecute and execute some, it would be impossible to get all of them

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/japanese-war-crimes-trial-begins

It was impossible because of factors unrelated to the possibility of trying them.

A more exhaustive prosecution was deserved but Soviet containment was the priority.

Is that what we were doing? So, 3,000 Americans die in 9/11 and we just look the other way...
What in the holy name of fuck does 9/11 have to do with the Iraq war?

The only connection between 9/11 and Iraq is the fact that the fearmongering brought about by the former was heavily used to leverage the public to favor the latter.

What in the holy name of fuck does 9/11 have to do with the Iraq war?

Ask GW Bush.

I saw Chris Rock live once(might've been on one of his specials too), and he summed it up pretty good.

"So I'm watching the news after 9/11, and it's all about Afghanistan, and how we're going to go in there, and fuck them up for what they did to us. I leave the room for two minutes to grab a Snickers bar, and when I come back, we're invading Iraq."

Ask GW Bush.

I saw Chris Rock live once(might've been on one of his specials too), and he summed it up pretty good.

"So I'm watching the news after 9/11, and it's all about Afghanistan, and how we're going to go in there, and fuck them up for what they did to us. I leave the room for two minutes to grab a Snickers bar, and when I come back, we're invading Iraq."

Powell believed false intel they received while water boarding Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi. The Iraq war and ultimately ISIS happened because we decided to torture someone that we thought was a terrorist!

Powell believed false intel they received while water boarding Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi. The Iraq war and ultimately ISIS happened because we decided to torture someone that we thought was a terrorist!

Yeah, I'm sure Powell really "believed" it, even though the intelligence agencies called his credibility into question. This is the same guy who also told the American public that they had WMD's, based on very compelling evidence too, right?

Look, they were going in there no matter what. To blame it on interrogation methods is silly. They needed an excuse to invade, and they got one.

Last edited:
Ask GW Bush.

That reminds me a lot of something that happened in São Paulo around 10 years ago. An airplane botched the landing, skidded off the runway, hit an adjacent building and blew up. 200 people died, awful shit. The runway's maintenance was found to be overdue but nobody was held responsible.

Anyway, about a week after the accident a local businessman who operated a high-end brothel in the vicinity was arrested for unrelated reasons and his venue was shut down. It was all over the news. After posting bail he was interviewed and coined the phrase he's still remembered by: "An airplane crashes. 200 people die. Who goes to jail? The owner of the whorehouse."

If we were to to draw a parallel, I guess the guy would be Saddam and airpoirt management would be the Saudis.

Yeah, I'm sure Powell really "believed" it, even though both the intelligence agencies called his credibility into question. This is the same guy who also told the American public that they had WMD's, based on very compelling evidence too, right?

Look, they were going in there no matter what. To blame it on interrogation methods is silly. They needed an excuse to invade, and they got one.

You don't get it, the "compelling evidence" concerning WMD's was based on the Intel they got from Al-Libi. The CIA, Powell, Rumsfeld, Cheney and W all believed it and it was bullshit the entire time.

You don't get it, the "compelling evidence" concerning WMD's was based on the Intel they got from Al-Libi. The CIA, Powell, Rumsfeld, Cheney and W all believed it and it was bullshit the entire time.
I think his point is that the war drums were already rumbling and they would have found "compelling evidence" through other means eventually. It was only a matter of time.

I think his point is that the war drums were already rumbling and they would have found "compelling evidence" through other means eventually. It was only a matter of time.

What other means would they have that would convince congress?

Tom Malinowski, the head of the Washington office of Human Rights Watch:

"He was Exhibit A in the narrative that tortured confessions contributed to the massive intelligence failure that preceded the Iraq war."

What other means would they have that would convince congress?

Tom Malinowski, the head of the Washington office of Human Rights Watch:

"He was Exhibit A in the narrative that tortured confessions contributed to the massive intelligence failure that preceded the Iraq war."
Whistleblowers with an agenda. Fawlty surveillance. I don't know. Where there's a will, there's a way. Specially in the political climate of the time, when going against the mainstream was dubbed as un-American and the public was thirsty for blood, regardless of what they thought about the evidence.

There's a lot to be said about torture being unreliable as a source of information (not to speak of humanitarian concerns), but starting that war effort was almost a foregone conclusion.

But today you get appeals in case the original court made an error. You said you would want immediate execution, so it's not the same.

You asked about people killed after a conviction that may have been wrong.

You didnt ask about a judgment and an appeal prior to (to which i say fuck it). We have the capacity to do better investigating and spend more time in court to be doubly sure. Stop appointing and hiring stupid and lazy lawyers and judges and councilmen. Stop allowing the lowest of barrel police and detectives. Problems will diminish greatly.

Whistleblowers with an agenda. Fawlty surveillance. I don't know. Where there's a will, there's a way. Specially in the political climate of the time, when going against the mainstream was dubbed as un-American and the public was thirsty for blood, regardless of what they thought about the evidence.

There's a lot to be said about torture being unreliable as a source of information (not to speak of humanitarian concerns), but starting that war effort was almost a foregone conclusion.

It was once though that us going into Syria after Assad used chemical weapons was a foregone conclusion, until it wasn't. If one sees the Iraq war as a continuation of Desert Storm with W attempting to finish what his father started then you could be right. The fact still remains though that we tortured and produced false intel to sell it to the world. So instead of torture being the reason for the war, it was the excuse.

Last edited:
Back