Do you think they're keeping a cure for cancer from us? | Page 4

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by WorldofWarcraft, Jul 16, 2017.

1. VivaRevolution Silver Belt

VivaRevolution
    VICE reported extremely high success rates. Do you have something more current that raises questions there?

Edit: I think I'm remembering you providing this to me before.

2. drstrangelov Hey.

drstrangelov
    I recall that Vice didn't report extremely high success rates, they reported a few cases of complete response, I could be remembering that incorrectly. Generally though, I'm not questioning whether this idea is sound, as I said there are multiple different approaches to better targeting this approach in development all over. The huge variation in disease response even in extremely tightly controlled populations reinforces how far away from a cure we still are, though.

Edit: forgot that the Vice documentary cover CAR-T therapy, I covered that in my last post. FDA panel recommended approval for Novartis's CAR-T treatment last week, there are a ton of others like it in various stages of development.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. VivaRevolution Silver Belt

VivaRevolution
    I think my biggest question comes from continuing the use of chemo and radiation, when we have other viable treatments that could be used now.

They may not be a 100% cure as they are now, but we 100% know for a fact that chemo and radiation therapy causes cancer.

4. trident Water Belt

trident
    It's not the cure that's kept from us, it's the cause

5. drstrangelov Hey.

drstrangelov
    This is a pretty common thought among oncologists too. Not so much stopping chemo/radiation (since these things are effective and are the only available treatments in some cases) but in identifying where the amount of treatment can be reduced as new treatments are identified. Typically you see combination therapies as new treatment mechanisms are added to existing therapy. This can be incredibly devastating to the patient, with uncertain added value over a more clearly thought out treatment plan. That was the centerpiece argument at the St Gallen breast oncology conference earlier this year.

I don't think anyone is ever going to suggest not using a potentially life saving therapy to fight the immediate disease out of fear of recurrence or new cancer 15 years in the future though. Those extra 15 years are valuable.

VivaRevolution likes this.
  6. VivaRevolution Silver Belt

VivaRevolution
    Good post, I think I take issue with the last part though, as all arguments for a conservative approach to new cancer treatment seem to lose legitimacy in the face of a current treatment that is a known cancer causing treatment.

7. DynamicLoosener Grass Fed Free Range Dolce Belt

DynamicLoosener
    i guess if they say so. like I said, I have only ever known 1 person that has ever had cancer

8. mrbaapt Green Belt

mrbaapt
    Cancer isn't a singular disease. It's a collection of diseases that are classified under one ambiguous umbrella. Finding a cure for all of them isn't possible.

9. chardog That's President Donald Trump

chardog
    nope..... there already is a way to get rid of cancer, and it's to cut it loose, so the medical world isnt all about profiting from a treatment.

If someone comes up with a cure, they'll present it, it's still a shitload of money even if treatments cost more.

10. Cint Risen

Cint
    There's so much corruption in the pharmaceutical industries.

11. Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

Tamriel Terror
    People should be more concerned with preventing things like cancer/other diseases instead of just popping some more pills and looking for cures.
    This.

Diet can play a major role in determining how healthy you are. I would love to see the disease rates and health issues if everyone in the country cut out majority of processed foods/drinks and had a diet primarily consisting of vegetables.

12. mr.bigglesworth Red Belt

mr.bigglesworth
    I've known 4.

But the two of us is such an insignificant sample size that it doesn't mean shit. Look at the facts

13. ineverpost Brown Belt

ineverpost
    There's no cure because there is no single cause. Cancer is caused by genetic and environmental factors, and factors we have no idea of. You're basing insinuating that every published scientific study is fake if you're saying it's a conspiracy.

14. BearGrounds A great many scalps.

BearGrounds
    On The Frontier west of the Hudson River.