Do you think driving manual should be a requirement?

That's because its recently, give it a few hundred hours and you will be doing all of that.

I drove stick exclusively for, like, 15 years. This is not new to me. Just a return after 5 or so years in an automatic.

I dont think driving manual is an extra hassle, i mean its as natural as walking for me at this point and you get more functionality from manual.

1.- The ability to brake with the engine.

2.- You can start your car if the battery runs out or if the starter fucks up.

3.- Better at hauling shit.

You can also use neutral easier for various scenarios, and can be push started easier.

Basically it just gives you more control of the car. More versatility.

People hitting houses and going through store fronts is getting too common by me.

When i go into a Store and i have to walk by an idling car im nervous considering how out of touch people are today.

They will drive right into you

Still I don't understand it. It's the same with guns. I don't think that makes a person more manly.

What makes a person more manly to you? just an honest question.

What makes a person more manly to you? just an honest question.

That's hard to pin down really. I guess I determine it more with things that they don't do then what they do. Ultimately, I think the term real man is just a compliment that they are a genuine person and probably doesn't have to do with being a guy as much aside from a tough or dependable aspect applied to it. The tough thing is the only characteristic I could imagine you would compliment a real man with rather than a real woman. If I would want to borrow from team America, it's a person who knows when to be a dick and doesn't mistake it for being an asshole but again, they isn't always just associated to men.

Most of the world drives manual. It should be the western standard, pun intended, rather than automatic. More fun, more control, more betterer. Cheaper tranny repairs even for people who grind out half a dozen gears. I think automatics should be reserved for people with physical issues, everyone else who can touch their nose in the dark or catch a ball is capable of learning manual.

Almost got my business front destroyed after a clearly inexperienced woman hit the gas instead of the brakes as a panicky reaction.

Giving learning drivings automatic transmissions is like giving inexperienced shooters a full automatic machine gun.

They can panick and press the gas and take over lives and property, the same could be said of the elderly.

None of that applies to manual, if someone panicks in manual he is going to grind the car to a full stop, not press the gas full speed and go from 0 to 60mph and then violently back to zero.

no.

Actually it's the other way around as far as I've ever seen. Manual transmissions have less moving parts = less production cost
This used to be true, but so many fewer manuals are produced than automatics.

I learned to drive on a manual and my first two or three cars were sticks. I like it.

But it's been almost twenty years of automatics for me. It's jsut worked out that way.

I don't think it is a big issue either way.

Can you clarify what you mean by "depending on where you live.?" When I lived in Japan the steering wheel changed sides but the pedals were the same.

Not sure I've never driven a car or truck with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side (UK) .

I just thought the gaswould be on the left and the brake on the right .

Yeah, left foot accelerators are a disability option, not a RHD or LHD thing.

Didn't know that as I have never driven one.

So the gas is on the right on a right hand drive I take it.

Didn't know that as I have never driven one.

So the gas is on the right on a right hand drive I take it.

Yeah, even RHD vehicles still have the same control layouts (gearstick is on the other side obviously, but the gate patterns are the same). They aren't mirrored.
LHD would have been standardised by now as well if we were all on one land mass, but the island nations said bugger off.

Knowing how to drive a manual in an automatic world means your car will never be stolen.

We have the first car my wife ever owned in the garage, a 1990 civic hatchback that's an auto. I was gonna convert it to manual but we thought about leaving it an auto and bracket racing it. Manual is faster but such a slow car is better for bracket racing. And that's all about consultancy and the auto would give more "consistency" of timing regarding the shifts.
Manuals are faster top speed in the same car via less power train loss but they aren't quicker (60ft times). Autos are king in drag racing.

You should turbo the fuck out of that car and run it. You'll smoke some V8s and piss them off. Don't ask me how I know.

Manuals are faster top speed in the same car via less power train loss but they aren't quicker (60ft times). Autos are king in drag racing.

You should turbo the fuck out of that car and run it. You'll smoke some V8s and piss them off. Don't ask me how I know.
My fiat is turbo. Will probably turbo my 01 civic coupe eventually. Not sure what we'll do with the hatchback. Needs a hood, paint, battery and tires. She works for an auto parts retailer so we've been using it to teach her on.

I'm more worried about unexperienced women who are waiting at a red light on a slope while driving manual. They tend to roll back hard.

But rod is right, stick shift gives you way more control of your vehicle -- especially in winter driving.

Side note: anyone ever use their triptronics / manumatics? Feels like a novelty to me and I'm worried that eventually the sensors will fuck up my transmission.

Almost got my business front destroyed after a clearly inexperienced woman hit the gas instead of the brakes as a panicky reaction.

Giving learning drivings automatic transmissions is like giving inexperienced shooters a full automatic machine gun.

They can panick and press the gas and take over lives and property, the same could be said of the elderly.

None of that applies to manual, if someone panicks in manual he is going to grind the car to a full stop, not press the gas full speed and go from 0 to 60mph and then violently back to zero.
Thinly-veiled Look at Me, I Own My Own Business thread.

Manually steered cars will probably be facing bans from the googelian 1984 left within the next 20 yrs and you are talking about bringing back manual shifters

More low speed issues like this with auto but less higher speed ones. I know which i think is safer.

Also manual sucks arse in traffic if there are hills.

Is your proposition a different driving test to be allowed to drive them or outlaw then altogether? I do find it odd you can pass usingn an automatic and then your allowed on the road with a manual.

Australias can learn on auto but can drive manual only once you have a full licence (about 3 years driving)

Australias can learn on auto but can drive manual only once you have a full licence (about 3 years driving)

That's a state by state thing. If you get your licence in an auto in South Australia, your license is still for all cars (although there's pressure to conform to the other states).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back