Do you think driving manual should be a requirement?

Rod1

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Almost got my business front destroyed after a clearly inexperienced woman hit the gas instead of the brakes as a panicky reaction.

Giving learning drivings automatic transmissions is like giving inexperienced shooters a full automatic machine gun.

They can panick and press the gas and take over lives and property, the same could be said of the elderly.

None of that applies to manual, if someone panicks in manual he is going to grind the car to a full stop, not press the gas full speed and go from 0 to 60mph and then violently back to zero.

Stick shifts are going the way of the dodo, a lot of cars aren't even available with a manual transmission anymore. It's pretty much down to a novelty thing for sports cars. In a few years hardly anyone will have ever driven a stick... sad but true.

Side note- I don't really see how making people drive a manual would make them safer drivers... it seems like if anything it would distract them and give them more ways to screw up

Or we could just take away the licenses of the clearly shit drivers. Driving is a privilege not a right, learn how to drive properly or fuck off.

I never had the opportunity to learn manual, and have no real desire to learn it now.

Shit, it costs extra for manual vehicles these days.

Shitty drivers are shitty drivers no matter which they learn on.

Almost got my business front destroyed after a clearly inexperienced woman hit the gas instead of the brakes as a panicky reaction.
I don't think AT was the problem here.

I don't really have a strong opinion on it but interesting question. Always preferred manual transmission, now I have Audi's Tiptronic and I love it. I think an inexperienced driver is an inexperienced driver and can do damage in any car. And women shouldn't really drive anyway.

Stick shifts are going the way of the dodo, a lot of cars aren't even available with a manual transmission anymore. It's pretty much down to a novelty thing for sports cars. In a few years hardly anyone will have ever driven a stick... sad but true.

Yes
Side note- I don't really see how making people drive a manual would make them safer drivers... it seems like if anything it would distract them and give them more ways to screw up

No.

Shit, it costs extra for manual vehicles these days.

Actually it's the other way around as far as I've ever seen. Manual transmissions have less moving parts = less production cost

Manual isn't going to solve the problem of shitty drivers.

This one incident aside, I couldn't imagine how much shittier shitty drivers would be, if they were forced to drive stick.

Manual isn't going to solve the problem of shitty drivers.

This one incident aside, I couldn't imagine how much shittier shitty drivers would be, if they were forced to drive stick.
Much worse, you'd have cars stalling all over the highway when some idiot forgets to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear or misses a shift. Just imagine how many pileups there'd be?

Buddy gave his daughter a manual. It is much harder to text while driving a manual in the city.

Also, they are much less likely to be stolen and she doesn't get asked to lend her car to people.

No. One of the best anti theft deterrents today is a manual transmissions.

I taught my wife, for emergencies and stuff. Imagine how dumb you'd feel if you couldn't help in an emergency because you couldn't drive?

Its actually less distracting since you need both your feet and both your hands to properly drive manual. So less room to be texting and shit.

But the best about manual is that if you fuck up you are going to either stop the engine or just rev on neutral.

Based on the trend, auto is going to be the norm. Manual trans isn't that common anymore compared to autos outside of trailers, forklifts, and older vehicles.

I don't think I've come across a driving school that taught manual. I learned it on my own, when I did the school it was on auto.

Giving learning drivings automatic transmissions is like giving inexperienced shooters a full automatic machine gun.

They can panick and press the gas and take over lives and property, the same could be said of the elderly.

None of that applies to manual, if someone panicks in manual he is going to grind the car to a full stop, not press the gas full speed and go from 0 to 60mph and then violently back to zero.

Yes it's a basic skill and everyone should at least know how to do especially men. Every man should be able to drive a manual. Hell every guy should know how to drive a 4 wheel drive and for extra points on the man card a high low truck shift.

As to the OP it sounds like a two footer mistake. Your same foot (right or left depending on where you live) for both the brake and gas not one for each which causes peoppe to fuck up.

Eventually, a manual is going to be a non-self driving car with an automatic transmission

Um, I havent driven a manual in forever but can't they jump forward pretty fast if you slip your foot off the clutch. I have seen somebody run into somebody over that.

Yes it's a basic skill and everyone should at least know how to do especially men. Every man should be able to drive a manual. Hell every guy should know how to drive a 4 wheel drive and for extra points on the man card a high low truck shift.

As to the OP it sounds like a two footer mistake. Your same foot (right or left depending on where you live) for both the brake and gas not one for each which causes peoppe to fuck up.

I can drive a manually but I've never understood this idea to tie cars to masculinity. It's an invention that's been around 100 years and somehow it's suppose to be some inherently manly obligation or responsibility. It's just a car.

Back