Do you think driving manual should be a requirement?

Australias can learn on auto but can drive manual only once you have a full licence (about 3 years driving)
In the NT you can either go for a manual or automatic license, and once two years have passed it automatically upgrades to a manual license

Fuck stick... I drive in too much traffic to use it. Leg gets cramps....

She was probably unlicensed and uninsured just like the ones over here.

I don't think AT was the problem here.

I don't really have a strong opinion on it but interesting question. Always preferred manual transmission, now I have Audi's Tiptronic and I love it. I think an inexperienced driver is an inexperienced driver and can do damage in any car. And women shouldn't really drive anyway.

519b8301139f2f4e6d600a978b4d6e2008fb4ad8b88c7854ad8d8e17e8db793f.jpg

all i know, is that i no longer drive on a daily basis, and i'm very happy about it. i don't need the stress of dealing with traffic and shitty drivers. i think that people should have special licenses to drive manual cars and to drive automatics. if you can't drive a manual car, it should reflect on your license.

Last edited:
Thinly-veiled Look at Me, I Own My Own Business thread.

I live in Mexico thought, so you probably earn more on your shitty 9-5 job than i do with my own business.

Manually steered cars will probably be facing bans from the googelian 1984 left within the next 20 yrs and you are talking about bringing back manual shifters

Yeah as much as it is a benefit to know how to drive manual, it is an unrealistic expectation and we're heading in the complete opposite direction.

New vehicles now have mandatory backup cameras, and in general cars are being fitted with automatic parking, collision avoidance, etc

So trend wise, we're heading towards more automation and assists, and down the road I think it's pretty clear that there will be a push to go fully automated, and perhaps for people to not own cars at all (think uber with automated cars)

Every car I've ever owned has been manual but I strongly disagree with this sentiment. The less people have to worry themselves about the better. How many times have you seen somebody dump their clutch not realizing they were in gear?

I taught my wife, for emergencies and stuff. Imagine how dumb you'd feel if you couldn't help in an emergency because you couldn't drive?

I taught my wife years ago and now I am teaching my son. He's getting it but he is too short, he just turned 9.

I learned to drive manual and then have never owned a manual car since. I think the only time I still shift gears is when I play racing video games.

And I can't imagine it being safer on highways and on/off ramps.

My bike is manual. I hope all cars go to self driving, not to stick. People are fucking morons, shit drivers and people texting everywhere.

Manual not even in a super cars or high end cars now a days. All new Ferrari's, Lambos and other high end cars even all top Mercedes come with paddle shifters the semi automatic transmission paddle shifter, or dual clutchless paddle shifter. On steering wheel they comes with several mode option like sport, race, all wheel drive and street mode. they often got other mode make car more fun to drive than standard manual.

photo_774_rosso_scuderia_with_tan_ferrari_california_3_1_49186_original.jpg

2013-ferrari-california-paddle-shifter-photo-445636-s-1280x782.jpg

My bike is manual. I hope all cars go to self driving, not to stick. People are fucking morons, shit drivers and people texting everywhere.

What do you ride? Problem is, if cars are all automated the tolerance for any speeding or any deviation from the road rules will quickly become almost zero. Chances of GPS tracking and automated speeding/traffic tickets becoming mandatory would be very high. It'll relegate bikes to being track/off road toys in developed nations.

I think there would be many more accidents if grannies etc. had to drive only manual cars.

Plus driving a stick shift in NY city traffic is unbearable.

Less than 3% of the cars sold today are manual. Seems strange to make it a requirement.

Less than 3% of the cars sold today are manual. Seems strange to make it a requirement.

That's only in the US and the TS doesn't live there. Globally that's not the case.

I don't want to hold that dick like thing all the time.

I drive a truck with a manual and no power steering.

What do you ride? Problem is, if cars are all automated the tolerance for any speeding or any deviation from the road rules will quickly become almost zero. Chances of GPS tracking and automated speeding/traffic tickets becoming mandatory would be very high. It'll relegate bikes to being track/off road toys in developed nations.

I've thought about that as well. What role do motorcycles play in an automated 'smart city' type environment. I think it would be fine to ride them around automated cars (probably safer) but yeah, maybe at some point they will be viewed as 'undesirable' to have on the roads

GSXR 750. you could be right, but technology laws are so slow i doubt it would happen while im still willing to ride fast.

Back