Do you think boxing handled the Fury humiliation well?

I’ve been watching boxing a handful of decades so for me it’s just another boxing match it’s not MMA vs Boxing bc they are BOXING . Lol

To add to that I can’t see this happening to a greater ambassador of the sport then Tyson Fury in my mind Ngannou did boxing a favor . <45>

It was probably supposed to be an exhibition of sorts but Sylvia fucked it up.
It was originally supposed to be a boxing match but then at the last minute it was switched to an MMA bout. There were no special rules. Tim himself said that he should've taken him down immediately but Ray ran his mouth and Tim wanted to stand with him to prove a point. Big mistake.

“That was my stupidity. It was the dumbest thing that I could have ever done. As soon as it was switched to Mixed Martial Arts I should have went in there and took him down and ended the fight in 30 seconds but I listened to his mouth run and I thought I could stand with a heavyweight boxer with four ounce gloves. Obviously, it didn’t work out the way I wanted it to but I did fight in September and that went well against a pretty decent up-and-comer (Jason Riley).”

Tim Sylvia: When I fought Ray Mercer, I didn’t think it would hurt my record because it was a boxing match

Both were training MMA at that point. Full mount is a standard position in the sport. We can just totally ignore the evidence of just how dangerous a boxer can be from bottom mount and dismiss it altogether. Now that'd be disingenuous.

The disingenuous part was using that as an example of a 'boxer' vs 'MMA fighter' - they were both boxers in their MMA debuts. It proved absolutely nothing about anything other than one inexperienced former boxer getting knocked out in a position that only a handful of people in history have been knocked out from by another former boxer.

Let's see Glowacki get mounted 20 times against 20 experienced grapplers and see how many times he pulls that off before we call it 'evidence' of anything. There's a reason MMA coaches don't teach you to start swinging wildly after being mounted and I shouldn' have to explain why on an MMA forum.

Melton Bowen was also able to hurt Steve Jennum a bit while being mounted. It seems to just be an instinctive panic move by inexperienced (at grappling) boxers just doing what they know best. But Jennum was just a random amateur bum. And Bowen still got finished.

The disingenuous part was using that as an example of a 'boxer' vs 'MMA fighter' - they were both boxers in their MMA debuts. It proved absolutely nothing about anything other than one inexperienced former boxer getting knocked out in a position that only a handful of people in history have been knocked out from by another former boxer.

Let's see Glowacki get mounted 20 times against 20 experienced grapplers and see how many times he pulls that off before we call it 'evidence' of anything. There's a reason MMA coaches don't teach you to start swinging wildly after being mounted and I shouldn' have to explain why on an MMA forum.

Melton Bowen was also able to hurt Steve Jennum a bit while being mounted. It seems to just be an instinctive panic move by inexperienced (at grappling) boxers just doing what they know best. But Jennum was just a random amateur bum. And Bowen still got finished.
How many world champion boxers have been mounted in MMA and actually tried to punch their way out? For all you know it's far less rare than is believed. The difference between MMA fighters and boxers is the ability to generate punching power in tight spaces and from different positions. Boxers hit harder than MMA fighters. They'll always be a threat if they're able to hit you.

The difference between MMA fighters and boxers is the ability to generate punching power in tight spaces and from different positions. Boxers hit harder than MMA fighters. They'll always be a threat if they're able to hit you.

You're obsessed with this distinction as if it grants magical powers. A guy who started boxing and then fought in MMA is an MMA fighter. A guy who started in MMA and then goes on to have a boxing career is a boxer.

There are good boxers and shit boxers, power punching boxers and feather fisted ones. There are MMA fighters that hit hard.

And no matter what label has been bestowed on you, it's generally a really bad, very low percentage idea to start throwing haymakers while being mounted. Pointing to one example of it working on a non-grappler in his MMA debut doesn't change that in the slightest.

You only expose your own ignorance of MMA that you are even arguing this.

You're obsessed with this distinction as if it grants magical powers. A guy who started boxing and then fought in MMA is an MMA fighter. A guy who started in MMA and then goes on to have a boxing career is a boxer.

There are good boxers and shit boxers, power punching boxers and feather fisted ones. There are MMA fighters that hit hard.

And no matter what label has been bestowed on you, it's generally a really bad, very low percentage idea to start throwing haymakers while being mounted. Pointing to one example of it working on a non-grappler in his MMA debut doesn't change that in the slightest.

You only expose your own ignorance of MMA that you are even arguing this.
I trained MMA for 3 years. I'm fully aware of the conventional wisdom about how being stuck on bottom ruins your punching power. Even David Haye said as much when he trained MMA. However, he also never thought of even trying to punch his way out.

The guy on bottom might only need to daze his opponent on top to get out from underneath. KOing them isn't even necessarily required. Imagine if that was Artur Beterbiev mounted in MMA and he landed one of his powerful short shots on his opponent's chin. How about Tank Davis? I would actually be surprised if they didn't badly hurt them. Glowacki isn't even a puncher by boxing standards.

Since you subscribe to conventional wisdom so strictly then have a look at all of the guys that defied it in MMA. They tell you not to try and punch your way out of the Thai clinch and yet we've seen fighters do it successfully. Weidman put Anderson Silva on queer street in the rematch when he hit him while he had the plum.

Mercer's KO over Tim was no fluke. He got hit by a former world champion boxer flush on the chin. Nobody should be surprised that he got knocked out. Kimbo did beat Mercer in an exhibition. The mid 40s version of Mercer. Not that impressive when you look at it objectivelou
our best ever poster Kid McCoy claimed to know that Mercer had health problems and needed money at that time, how true that was, who know but kid was usually right about things.

From what I understand, Sylvia had agreed not to use kicks on the feet. But he started off the fight with a leg kick, which pissed off Mercer, and Ray decided to lay him out.

It was probably supposed to be an exhibition of sorts but Sylvia fucked it up.
i notice the one thing that guys who don't know boxing do, is to get to close, right into punching range and be oblivious about where they are, maybe Sylvia just did that. Boxers usually don't stay engaged in that range, they'll go in, do their work and step back and start over, unless of course they are a pressure fighter, but pressure fighters don't just walk in and stand there.

our best ever poster Kid McCoy claimed to know that Mercer had health problems and needed money at that time, how true that was, who know but kid was usually right about things.
Wouldn't surprise me but let's leave the medical excuses for the salty MMA fans.

Wouldn't surprise me but let's leave the medical excuses for the salty MMA fans.
kid definitely hated mma, so maybe that's all it was but he was usually right with his info.

Ngannou shocked the world. Can he shock the world again? The experts say no, but they're the same people who said Fury would of won easily.

kid definitely hated mma, so maybe that's all it was but he was usually right with his info.
Kid McCoy was before my time. I've read a few of his older posts though. I don't really have much of an opinion on him but I heard that he went full retard and got banned after Randy beat Toney in MMA. One thing that I do know is that you have to be a special kind of stupid to think Toney even stood a chance against Randy in the cage. He's a nightmare match-up for a boxer. Randy was a decorated wrestler and a true OG of MMA. He fought everyone and was a genuinely great fighter in his time. I used to enjoy watching him when I was younger. You'll never hear me say anything bad about Randy Couture.

Kid McCoy was before my time. I've read a few of his older posts though. I don't really have much of an opinion on him but I heard that he went full retard and got banned after Randy beat Toney in MMA. One thing that I do know is that you have to be a special kind of stupid to think Toney even stood a chance against Randy in the cage. He's a nightmare match-up for a boxer. Randy was a decorated wrestler and a true OG of MMA. He fought everyone and was a genuinely great fighter in his time. I used to enjoy watching him when I was younger. You'll never hear me say anything bad about Randy Couture.
no, kid was far from stupid, he just hated mma. He got banned before the fight because he couldn't contain his vitriol. Not everyone liked him of course and I always was intrigued but could not understand how he could think that even the greatest boxers wouldn't have problems with mma fighters. I just always wanted to know how in the hell would a Joe Louis (a man he called the best pure fighter ever, yes, fighter, not boxer) avoid takedowns. It's just too easy to make them play their game. I'm a shitty grappler but I know all i'd have to do is clinch and drop for many boxers.

Word was, kid was of advanced age and possibly a former boxing mag writer but most people on here keep their identities hush hush. There was a guy here, actjac, who never posts anymore. Had to be at least in his 70's and he knew way more about the goons, the managers and promoters in my smalltime area than I did. He had been around, it's always a loss when those guys go.

Back