Do you remember/miss Unsolved Mysteries?

What about the zodiac killer that's an interesting one

Admittedly, most of what I know about the Zodiac comes from Fincher's movie, and I'm not too sure how much of that film is dramatized.

I know the main character in the movie--Robert Graysmith--is a real guy who thinks he's got it figured out. Though I believe his conclusions have been criticized by other researchers.

What are your thoughts?

Admittedly, most of what I know about the Zodiac comes from Fincher's movie, and I'm not too sure how much of that film is dramatized.

I know the main character in the movie--Robert Graysmith--is a real guy who thinks he's got it figured out. Though I believe his conclusions have been criticized by other researchers.

What are your thoughts?

Not sure tbh who ever it was sure a clever guy and fooled everyone . Read that some guy claimed his dad was him but you always get that.

Haven't seen movie

Db cooper interesting too

The year was 1987. The network? NBC. The event? The premiere of Unsolved Mysteries, a TV show that would go on to attract viewers in the tens of millions.

It started off as a series of three specials called "Missing. . . Have you seen this person?" And from this initial series came what we would know as Unsolved Mysteries, hosted by the incomparable Robert Stack. Dealing with a wide variety of speculative topics, the show covered stories ranging everywhere from true crime cases and lost loves to alternative history and the paranormal.

A quick rundown of the show's broadcast history:

*1987-1997: the show airs on NBC but canceled in 1997 due to declining ratings after being moved from Wednesday nights to Friday nights in 1994

*1997-1999: CBS picks up the show for a few limited, six-episode seasons, airing at 9 PM

*2001-2002: Lifetime picks up the show, re-airing old episodes and sporadically producing new ones, airing the show between 11 AM and 3 PM

*2008-2010: Spike picks up the show and revamps it, with a new set, new logo and new host (Dennis Farina), but exclusively uses old cases for their episodes

*2010-Present: Lifetime begins re-airing the revamped Dennis Farina episodes

Personally, I haven't seen the show in years, but last night I remembered watching it as a kid with my grandmother. Those are good memories. I fucking LOVED Unsolved Mysteries. Now I think I'm going to go try to track down as much of the series as I can and re-live that experience.

So who else here remembers Unsolved Mysteries and has some good memories of watching it back in the day?

Dat logo:

unsolvedmysteries.jpg

unmys1.jpg

Dat Robert Stack:

4557030_l2.jpg

Dat intro:

I watched a few episodes, but I never really got into Unsolved Mysteries.

I instead watched Sightings on Fox, which was obviously complete horseshit, but I was entertained by it as a kid.

Sightings-1.jpg

Sightings%20-%20TV%20Series%20-%2003.jpg

I watched a few episodes, but I never really got into Unsolved Mysteries.

I instead watched Sightings on Fox, which was obviously complete horseshit, but I was entertained by it as a kid.

Sightings-1.jpg

Sightings%20-%20TV%20Series%20-%2003.jpg

I remember Sightings being a thing but I don't remember actually watching it.

Why are you convinced it was complete horseshit? Do you just not believe in UFOs or the paranormal?

I wish they had new episodes.

Yeah, it's really weird what's happened with the show.

It started with Stack. Then they COMPLETELY revamped the look and feel of the show and made the Farina episodes . . . but they only used old cases. No new cases were actually covered.

There is still an active website:

https://unsolved.com/

But no new episodes/seasons are being produced.

According to the FAQ:

Q: Why aren’t you producing new episodes of Unsolved Mysteries?
A: A network must be willing to put Unsolved Mysteries on its schedule. We continue to hope that a network will see the value in producing more programs.

Considering how popular the show still is with a lot of people, it's kind of surprising to me that no network is interested in producing new seasons.

I remember Sightings being a thing but I don't remember actually watching it.

Why are you convinced it was complete horseshit? Do you just not believe in UFOs or the paranormal?

Particularly, I do not believe that extraterrestrials have visited Earth. The amount of energy it takes to travel from one star to another is so astronomical that it may not even be possible to do it. The claim that extraterrestrials have visited Earth is so unlikely that it requires extraordinary evidence. There really is none.

Any "U.F.O.'s" people have seen throughout history have almost certainly been confused with human-made technology (maybe sometimes technology that is classified because it is too expensive to mass produce).

Yeah, it's really weird what's happened with the show.

It started with Stack. Then they COMPLETELY revamped the look and feel of the show and made the Farina episodes . . . but they only used old cases. No new cases were actually covered.

There is still an active website:

https://unsolved.com/

But no new episodes/seasons are being produced.

According to the FAQ:

Q: Why aren’t you producing new episodes of Unsolved Mysteries?
A:
A network must be willing to put Unsolved Mysteries on its schedule. We continue to hope that a network will see the value in producing more programs.

Considering how popular the show still is with a lot of people, it's kind of surprising to me that no network is interested in producing new seasons.

I think its strange that nobody puts them on. Is it $? Contract negotiations? Power?

Ppl love this show.

I think its strange that nobody puts them on. Is it $? Contract negotiations? Power?

Ppl love this show.

Well Lifetime aired the old episodes for a while. Now I think some network called Escape airs the show occasionally.

More importantly, Amazon recently added UM to their streaming catalogue and I think they either have the entire show available now, or they at least have most of it.

What was especially weird though is that the show was NEVER released in its entirety on DVD. There were select episodes released in various collections, but entire seasons were never put out despite fans clamoring for it.

In any case, what I think they should do is produce new seasons. But they have to do it right. They have to do it in the old style--the Stack style. If they do it like they did with the Dennis Farina eps then it will just be a wasted opportunity.

It will be difficult to replace somebody like Robert Stack. His voice, that devilish smirk when he asked the public to help them with this unsolved mystery.

Dennis Farina, I loved as an actor, Midnight Run is an all-time favorite but I don't get why Spike used him for the show instead of just re-airing the classics.

Shows like this can work but as Shadow stated it needs to be done right.

It will be difficult to replace somebody like Robert Stack. His voice, that devilish smirk when he asked the public to help them with this unsolved mystery.

Dennis Farina, I loved as an actor, Midnight Run is an all-time favorite but I don't get why Spike used him for the show instead of just re-airing the classics.

Shows like this can work but as Shadow stated it needs to be done right.

I agree it would be difficult--probably impossible, really--to truly replace Stack. But the problem with the Farina episodes went beyond just Farina himself.

It was also the whole tone and style of the show. Creepy locations and lighting were replaced by a brightly lit command center looking thing. It's like the show was moved to a 911 call center or something.

And then the reenactments in the Farina episodes were pretty shitty, too. Overly dramatized, weird music, weird editing.

It's hard to imagine the producers ever thought all that shit would be a good idea.

I agree it would be difficult--probably impossible, really--to truly replace Stack. But the problem with the Farina episodes went beyond just Farina himself.

It was also the whole tone and style of the show. Creepy locations and lighting were replaced by a brightly lit command center looking thing. It's like the show was moved to a 911 call center or something.

And then the reenactments in the Farina episodes were pretty shitty, too. Overly dramatized, weird music, weird editing.

It's hard to imagine the producers ever thought all that shit would be a good idea.

Yeah, there is a YouTube that discusses the old and new episodes. And how flawed it was.

The call center worked for a show like AMW but Walsh was a hard nosed dude that wanted to find the perp. Stack brought mystery and intrigue to the cases.

Since I bought my new tv and been watching Um on Amazon Prime, its creepy as ever.

Back