Do you remember/miss Unsolved Mysteries?

I miss it as well I'd like to another version of it someday.

I've been watching them on Amazon Prime, the first original season is free, the rest, you'll need a subscription.

Word of advice, don't watch it alone in the dark.

5268d5b5-c672-4eb0-9d11-69b463823b5e.jpg

I've been watching them on Amazon Prime, the first original season is free, the rest, you'll need a subscription.

Damn G, why didn't you say that before? If I had known I'd have already checked that shit out.

I used to watch this occasionally as a kid. I remember my mother watching it back then all the time. Just hearing Robert Stack's voice brings back nostalgia from my childhood.

Holy Shit, just saw an episode that put angered me beyond belief.

This was season 4, episode 22. Victim was named Colleen Reed. In 1991 she was kidnapped at a car wash by these two perps. Eventually, they were both caught. One of perps was the serial killer Ken McDuff. So, I read a little about this POS, in the 1960's he was convicted and sentenced to death for the rape and murder of three youngsters. He was sentenced to death. But in the early 1970's, the Supreme Court eliminated the death penalty and he was sentenced to life. So, sure enough he was given parole in 1989. He went onto kill five more people after his parole. He was later captured and finally put down.

If they ever revive Beyond Belief, you should have them make an episode of BB about you watching this episode of UM.

Jonathan Frakes will be like, "Is it possible for a man to get so angry because of an episode of Unsolved Mysteries? Well be back to tell you if this hothead exploded, or if you're left pressing the pause button on this story."

This was season 4, episode 22. Victim was named Colleen Reed. In 1991 she was kidnapped at a car wash by these two perps. Eventually, they were both caught. One of perps was the serial killer Ken McDuff. So, I read a little about this POS, in the 1960's he was convicted and sentenced to death for the rape and murder of three youngsters. He was sentenced to death. But in the early 1970's, the Supreme Court eliminated the death penalty and he was sentenced to life. So, sure enough he was given parole in 1989. He went onto kill five more people after his parole. He was later captured and finally put down.

That does sound pretty fucked up.

You know a dude really is a psycho and/or institutionalized when he goes to prison, gets paroled, and then commits more crimes. I'd have to think if I ever went to prison and didn't manage to commit suicide--which would definitely be my plan if I went to prison--and I eventually got out, that I would be determined to walk the straight and narrow. No more crimes for me.

If they ever revive Beyond Belief, you should have them make an episode of BB about you watching this episode of UM.

Jonathan Frakes will be like, "Is it possible for a man to get so angry because of an episode of Unsolved Mysteries? Well be back to tell you if this hothead exploded, or if you're left pressing the pause button on this story."

That does sound pretty fucked up.

You know a dude really is a psycho and/or institutionalized when he goes to prison, gets paroled, and then commits more crimes. I'd have to think if I ever went to prison and didn't manage to commit suicide--which would definitely be my plan if I went to prison--and I eventually got out, that I would be determined to walk the straight and narrow. No more crimes for me.

I was going to say rustled my jimmies but I thought beyond belief was perhaps a bit more appropriate.

And I freakin loved that show. Maybe Frakes should be the new host of UM(if they ever do it).

Some people are just born crazy and need to be locked away forever. I don't know how anybody could get paroled for killing three people in the first degree. Because of over population of prisons? SMh.

I was going to say rustled my jimmies but I thought beyond belief was perhaps a bit more appropriate.

And I freakin loved that show. Maybe Frakes should be the new host of UM(if they ever do it).

My real problem with the show is that I did a bit of research and it sounded like they used a true story as the basis of their "true stories," but that they embellished them significantly.

I know it's ultimately about entertainment, but I still think that if you're going to present something that's true, then it needs to be true to the best of your understanding.

Unsolved mysteries was great.

Especially when I wanted the mystery solved and after turning to leave in frustration all I could hear was:

UPDATE

American Justice with Bill Kurtis did an episode on this if you ever want to watch.

My real problem with the show is that I did a bit of research and it sounded like they used a true story as the basis of their "true stories," but that they embellished them significantly.

I know it's ultimately about entertainment, but I still think that if you're going to present something that's true, then it needs to be true to the best of your understanding.

Yeah, I see your point. I enjoyed the show because of the charm of it. A few short stories and you had to make the decision if you believed if it was fact or fiction. They perhaps did embellish many of their "true" stories yet I didn't mind it because when the short started I was barely a teenager and I was sucker for "scary stories" or paranormal stuff. Now that I'm in my early 30's I think more rationally and won't be duped. It's more nostalgic for me than anything else.

American Justice with Bill Kurtis did an episode on this if you ever want to watch.

Interestingly enough, I've been getting a lot of American Justice on my YT recommendations lately. Thanks, I will check it out.

Interestingly enough, I've been getting a lot of American Justice on my YT recommendations lately. Thanks, I will check it out.

It's up there in my hall of fame for crime shows. Unsolved Mysteries, American Justice, FBI Files, Forensic Files and City Confidential.

It's up there in my hall of fame for crime shows. Unsolved Mysteries, American Justice, FBI Files, Forensic Files and City Confidential.

Bill Curtis was great for American Justice, no idea why they stopped making them.

Forensic Files was great also. Sadly, the narrator recently died, within the last couple of years. Dude had a spooky voice. I forget which network it is but they seriously air it nearly 24:7.

I enjoy Dateline nowadays. I don't get the chance to watch it as much but if it's on and I'm home,'I'll tune in.

Nothing like a cold case file that gets solved. Fascinating stuff.

Yeah, I see your point. I enjoyed the show because of the charm of it. A few short stories and you had to make the decision if you believed if it was fact or fiction. They perhaps did embellish many of their "true" stories yet I didn't mind it because when the short started I was barely a teenager and I was sucker for "scary stories" or paranormal stuff. Now that I'm in my early 30's I think more rationally and won't be duped. It's more nostalgic for me than anything else.

I still believe in the possibility of the supernatural. In fact, I've got a concept idea for a show that would be entirely devoted to trying to uncover the truth to these stories, no bullshit allowed.

I think that if you're going to do a show like Beyond Belief or UM or whatever, then you really need to approach it like a journalist and try to get your facts straight. I do understand that some people don't care and they're just in it for the entertainment value, but I'm always like, "Isn't the entertainment value inherently tied to the possibility that these things could be true?"

I enjoy Dateline nowadays. I don't get the chance to watch it as much but if it's on and I'm home,'I'll tune in.

I have my DVR set to record Dateline, 48 Hours and 20/20. Whenever I'm ready for something like that, I have episodes ready to go.

Word of advice, don't watch it alone in the dark.

5268d5b5-c672-4eb0-9d11-69b463823b5e.jpg

Remember watching the dubbed version at 11pm ....even more freakish that late.

Back