Relationship Do you fear or respect your father?

Do you fear or respect your father?

• Total voters
As I grow older and realize what it takes to be a man and a father I respect my old man more and more. As a kid, I'd say the fear would come in the first place. He's in his 80s now, still going strong and still doing what he believes is right. I actually take it as a blessing for him to still be around so I can show how much I appreciate him. Not too many of those old bad asses around anymore.

Biological would be pedo offender in usa

Step one is a good guy but not what people consider manly but over all he alright
I respect your honesty brotha. Unfortunately we can’t choose our parents but it doesn’t define us. Lessons from positive examples are just as important as lessons from negative ones imo.

3 days before my Pops lost his battle with liver cancer, he looked at me and quickly put up his "Dukes". I was shook to the core. He was a union laborer and looked the part.....a man's man. He was also a scholar with the largest speaking vocabulary I've ever been around. So those who weren't intimidated by his physical presence, were often intimidated by his intellect. He was hard but fair. Miss you Pops!

I respect my father a whole bunch
he and my ma where never together after I was born but he was always there for me. because of that I grew up almost half the time just with him.
during that time he got his shit together and got his masters degree by the time I was 10. His life was about helping our people.
I lost him about 10 years ago from cancer and it pains me that my kids will never know him

My dad was just OK
I feared him as a kid, and lost respect for him as an adult
He never showed up for anything Important in my life
Ran out on my mom, slept around, etc
And now that I’m older I realize how it messed me up a bit in life not having a father around
He gave money, that’s about it
Last thing I said to him was your going to die alone in your house
A year later we had do a welfare check on him and, that’s exactly what happened
R.I.P Pops

I respected my dad for sure, he died when i was 20, sort of early but he was a good dad. This is something I've particularly realised as I've gotten older, there are some really shit dads out there.

Only respect
He's a man that had super rough life, and gone through it remaining an honest hard worker(even too much), reality is both my parents has been a light in my shit neighborhood
Growing up i learned to swim into shit streets because these kids were all my childhood friends, but in life i had the advantage to have a good family while most of my friends were the ones with alcoholic dad who beat up their mom... does'nt matter how much bullshit i did with them and how fun has been, i had at home example of what was "normal", while they did'nt and lot of them end up become their dad or worse

Dad used to be large strong butcher with rugby hobby and short temper who could put fear in other adult men and some of them good amount of head trauma too (but i REALLY doubt he ever beated up a not-asshole, actually ever had some sort of "reverence" for well-mannered people i think to have inherited), but never in my life gave me the slightest hint he would even think to hurt me

If there was to deliver educational violence my small mom would go mad chihuahua and throw teh slap or a mestolo strike, wich was'nt feared much but still something had to be done lol

One sad irony is 99% my father believe i consider him dumb loser, when on reality lot i did in my life was because i had him as model of how a real man should be... like i trained lot years martial arts/fight sports and yet i was never a bully(not even when pushed by friends to join the fun), my basic idea ever was be good with people but have the tools to hurt assholes who may mistake be good with be target
Then we are very very different and we took very different approaches to life, but still almost all traits i got from him are in the list of good ones and if i think at really bad ones feels like none come from him
In short not only i respect him but i consider him better man than myself, if i achieved more than him with much less effort is because world is shit place and because thanks to him i had much easier start at life than he did

I have both for my dad. I fear his temper, it reminds me when I was young and afraid to get smacked by him.

And I respect my father for what he's done in my life. He's helped me a lot through the years.

My Dad's a good man.

I respect him a ton.

There's nothing to fear from him, though, which makes him an even better person.

What a good person my Dad is. Thanks for the opportunity to think on this!

Respected my old man so much I feared disappointing him.

Biological would be pedo offender in usa

Step one is a good guy but not what people consider manly but over all he alright

My biological father was a lousy drunk, who drove drunk with me in the car, assaulted my aunt when she tried to prevent him from getting behind the wheel with me as an infant. He also cheated on my mom when she was pregnant.

Fuck him. I don't respect him or fear him.
We are estranged now for about 18 years.

My REAL dad is the role model upon which I try to conduct myself as a father and as a husband. I respect the shit out of that man. He is very calm and level headed, he is a good problem solver and he gives great advise. I put him on a pedestal for sure, but he EARNED that a million times over and made my life and my mother's life exponentially better, because of him I grew up in a safe town, where I had great education, opportunities and where I met my amazing wife.
(bio dad lives in a complex just the slightest step above being "projects")

My dad doesn't have a temper. A lot of reasons to respect him though.

He died when I was 15 but both. He was the disciplinarian but also a great role model as a man.

Ditched me when I was 18 for his new wife who didn't like that i reminded her he had am ex wife.

neither fear or respect

I sttopped speaking to him 10 years ago for reason that are none of you fuckers business. I still respect the guy though, he's a tough bastard. When I hit high school I was a bit of a miscreant so I would spend my summer vacations working for his logging company. School would start the next year and everyone be talking about how much fun they had over the summer... my stories were all about I almost rolled the cable skidder down a hill and how much of a pain in the ass it is to shower pitch off after cutting white pine and balsam all day.

Neither. Haven't seen or talked to him in 25 years, won't for the next 25 either

My father was a firm but fair man. I respected him and tried to be like him. He would tell you to do something and you did it or you could expect a belt across your ass. I was discussing fathers with co-workers. One said his father would tell him to do something. If he didn't do it after the third time he would get a whipping. I told him with my dad it was once so I made sure to listen. He was a heavy equipment operator. He usually worked from sun up until sundown. Depending on how far away the job was he would leave the house well before the sun came up and get home well after it went down.

Back