Media Do you credit the rise of two x division championship fights to Conor McGregor?

Do you credit McGregor with the rise of champ vs. champ fights?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
LOL at Dana comparing the greatness of a legendary champion/alround great bloke in GSP with multiple title defences ,with a lucky, classless pikey like Conor with none whatsoever.
As mentioned already , just an excuse by Dana to shit on GSP cos he wouldnt tow the line.

Hendo would have been a three division champ if Pride didn't fold...

5.gif

He definitely wouldn't have beaten Fedor in PRIDE.

Here's what Dana White says about it, and he's usually right:

“That’s the thing — nobody wants to do it. GSP would never move up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. He wouldn’t do it,” White said when speaking to Russillo and Kanell on Tuesday. “That’s what makes Saturday so fun. You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it. Guys don’t do that stuff. That’s what makes Conor McGregor so unique, so fascinating and so fun.

“For GSP he was moving up one weight class. Conor McGregor jumped up two weight classes.”

Where's that quote from?

Here, https://bloodyelbow.com/2016/03/09/...diaz-georges-st-pierre-vs-anderson-silva-mma/

where Dana White, who is usually right (and let's be honest, is more willing to promote his spineless bootlickers rather than guys like GSP who want to enforce the anti-steroids rules) also says =>

Hard to say if this is revisionist history or not, but it certainly differs from White’s accounts of GSP’s willingness to go to 185 in the past.
In 2010, white offered up this opinion on the GSP/Silva fight:

“If it’s true [about what Anderson Silva said], if he could cut down to 170, I would look at a GSP fight. I would do it. I don’t like the idea of GSP moving up.”
And this:

“GSP told me straight up, I’ll fight him [Anderson] right now. If you guys want to make that fight, make the fight. GSP is not concerned what so ever with fighting Anderson Silva. First, Anderson Silva has a couple guys he needs to beat. He needs to beat Chael Sonnen and probably Vitor Belfort, should Vitor win his next fight. Here’s the other problem, Georges St.Pierre is a natural 170 pounder. Anderson Silva not only cuts to 185, he’s fought at 205. That’s kind of why the fight doesn’t make sense to me. But if enough people want to see it, I’ll make it.”

And in 2011 he even went so far as to say this:

“Georges St-Pierre said he would move to 185 (to fight Silva) and stay at that weight and not go back to 170,” White said. “Should (they) win (their next) fights, that fight will probably happen this year.”

A list of Dana, Anderson & GSP quotes about GSP/Anderson
https://bloodyelbow.com/2015/02/25/...spider-anderson-silva-lost-superfight-quotes/

The UFC boss says the fight can and likely will happen, and when it does, St. Pierre won't have to do a thing - - Silva will come to him.
"Anderson would go to [170 pounds], too," White told media members following a conference in England last Wednesday (Feb. 13, 2013). "Yeah, he said he'd do it. He says he can make [170] easy. It's insane."
Silva (33-4) is no stranger to fluctuating his weight, as the Brazilian has fought as low as welterweight and as high as light heavyweight over the course of his 15-year career.

Anderson then sadly backed down and went back up to MW & LHW where he would enjoy a comfy size advantage... plus, with his steroids addiction, who knows if he could still make 170 anymore?

But while he's moved up to the light heavyweight division on multiple occasions and has, in the past, expressed a desire to move up or down to multiple weight classes, Silva is now changing his tune.

"I haven't gotten bored," Silva said through his manager Ed Soares in a pre-UFC 117 teleconference. "I like my sport, I like my weight division that I fight in and I'm prepared to stay in my division... I want to retire fighting in my weight class."

So what does that mean for potential superfights with UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre and UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua? Well, Silva says those fights would need to come to him.

"If you want to beat me up, make weight and come fight me in my category, my division," he said.

<6>

Here, https://bloodyelbow.com/2016/03/09/...diaz-georges-st-pierre-vs-anderson-silva-mma/

where Dana White, who is usually right (and let's be honest, is more willing to promote his spineless bootlickers rather than guys like GSP who want to enforce the anti-steroids rules) also says =>

Hard to say if this is revisionist history or not, but it certainly differs from White’s accounts of GSP’s willingness to go to 185 in the past.

“If it’s true [about what Anderson Silva said], if he could cut down to 170, I would look at a GSP fight. I would do it. I don’t like the idea of GSP moving up.”
And this:

“GSP told me straight up, I’ll fight him [Anderson] right now. If you guys want to make that fight, make the fight. GSP is not concerned what so ever with fighting Anderson Silva. First, Anderson Silva has a couple guys he needs to beat. He needs to beat Chael Sonnen and probably Vitor Belfort, should Vitor win his next fight. Here’s the other problem, Georges St.Pierre is a natural 170 pounder. Anderson Silva not only cuts to 185, he’s fought at 205. That’s kind of why the fight doesn’t make sense to me. But if enough people want to see it, I’ll make it.”

“Georges St-Pierre said he would move to 185 (to fight Silva) and stay at that weight and not go back to 170,” White said. “Should (they) win (their next) fights, that fight will probably happen this year.”

https://bloodyelbow.com/2015/02/25/...spider-anderson-silva-lost-superfight-quotes/

Anderson then sadly backed down and went back up to MW & LHW where he would enjoy a comfy size advantage... plus, with his steroids addiction, who knows if he could still make 170 anymore?

<6>

Lol now I see what you meant on your page.

And this:

<6>
This should be made a sticky and enforced reading by all new members before they start spouting bullshit

I hate to say it, but Conor opened the door for double champs more casually. UFC used to be very particular for letting guys go for 2 belts. Conor definitely made "money fights" important to fans and changed the game alot.

I would have loved if Gsp superman punched Dana right in the mouth. What an ungrateful prick.

Btw, I’ve met Hendo. He was kind of a jerk but god damn do I respek him. He’s a small dude for a guy who fought the Nog bros, Fedor, Arona, trt Shad and Rampage. Stud.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of it, especially now when it's almost a given that you'll see at least one champion coming to another weight class and get a title shot. But Conor's performance against Alvarez was so incredible, I can't be mad at the guy. He announced it coming into the UFC and he did it. Too bad he didn't stick around at LW then, it was a crazy division from top to bottom.

Yes, but I see it as a bad thing.

I think Silva could of done it if he wanted to, but he wanted his boy Machida to be champ at 205, ppl forget that Hendo was the OG double champ

Both BJ and Couture won titles in two divisions before Conor ever fought in the UFC. Because Conor never actually defended either belt, there isn't much difference between him and BJ/Couture. "Two Division Champ" was just UFC marketing when it wasn't really true.

If you want to talk about the first "real" two division champ, then its probably Nunes because she actually defended both belts. I don't think Conor ever intended to defend both belts because 145 was a big cut for him. Nunes could make 135 or 145 comfortably.

This is why titles mean nothing, it's all about who you beat and context. The UFC can give literally anyone a title shot for any reason, totally unrelated to merit.

Connor beat Eddie Alvarez. That's it. Eight other people also beat Eddie Alvarez. It's a good win, nothing more, nothing less.

Back