Media Do you credit the rise of two x division championship fights to Conor McGregor?

Do you credit McGregor with the rise of champ vs. champ fights?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Quick edit, lol :)
BJ was Rumble on the Rock LW champ going into that Hughes fight though, FWIW.

But not UFC LW champion…I like where you’re going. I like how you think. BJ is the answer

View attachment 1006616

This weekend, we will once again see history attempted with Volk vs. Islam in a champion vs. champion match.

Prior to McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez there was only 1 champ vs champ and that was Penn vs GSP nearly 10 years ago.

However, since we had the legendary fight between Eddie and Conor, we’ve been blessed with much more champ vs. champ fights (likely due to the huge success that was Conor vs. Eddie).

We’ve had:

Stipe vs Cormier
Nunes vs Cyborg
Israel vs Jan
TJ vs. Cejudo

And… once again this weekend with Alex vs. Islam
A History Of UFC Champion vs Champion Fights | UFC

I don't really like them, but yes, I imagine Conor has influenced the current generation of scrappers.

If guys are more willing to do these kinda fights, then he's one of the front runners.

Again, though, they're not for me.

But not UFC LW champion…I like where you’re going. I like how you think. BJ is the answer
And actually after I thought about it more, I remembered he beat Gomi for that Rumble on the Rock belt in the fight just before Hughes. So BJ very literally was the best LW in the world at the time of the Hughes fight.
WAR BJ PENN!

I don't really like them, but yes, I imagine Conor has influenced the current generation of scrappers.

If guys are more willing to do these kinda fights, then he's one of the front runners.

Again, though, they're not for me.
I think it more influenced Dana’s willingness to book that shit when he feels it suits him. Remember when Dana wouldn’t let Aldo move up to fight Pettis for the LW belt without vacating the FW belt first? And then he lets Conor do it with 0 FW defenses…:rolleyes:

No, Conor was just the first star who could get away with it.

Before that, Dana would threaten your belt if you tried to move up. He's on record stating he hated it because it held up the divisions, but Conor comes along and proceeds to hold up the FW division to unprecedented levels lmao.

I think it more influenced Dana’s willingness to book that shit when he feels it suits him. Remember when Dana wouldn’t let Aldo move up to fight Pettis for the LW belt without vacating the FW belt first? And then he lets Conor do it with 0 FW defenses…:rolleyes:

Yeah, I remember someone not being allowed to move up without vacating, but I couldn't remember the details. Aldo-Pettis, then.

I think that's the right policy.

I can sorta see why they're letting Volk do it, it's just a shame he couldn't do it against a proven champion the first time around.

For me, that first Volk-Mak fight lost all momentum when Charles dropped the title.

Yeah, I remember someone not being allowed to move up without vacating, but I couldn't remember the details. Aldo-Pettis, then.

I think that's the right policy.

I can sorta see why they're letting Volk do it, it's just a shame he couldn't do it against a proven champion the first time around.

For me, that first Volk-Mak fight lost all momentum when Charles dropped the title.
I think if a champ has cleaned out the division like Aldo and GSP did, it’s no harm no foul. We don’t need an interim belt every 5 seconds and I don’t think we need a champ to vacate before taking on a diff champ. If Aldo had gone up to 155 and lost to Pettis, he’d have to try and win his FW belt back again and that seems silly.

I think if a champ has cleaned out the division like Aldo and GSP did, it’s no harm no foul. We don’t need an interim belt every 5 seconds and I don’t think we need a champ to vacate before taking on a diff champ. If Aldo had gone up to 155 and lost to Pettis, he’d have to try and win his FW belt back again and that seems silly.

Definitely double standards.

Dana probably preferred Pettis' ability to draw, and to hell with Aldo's legacy.

No because it was the most undeserved title shot in MMA history, even Brock earned his more then Conor..

He's FW title 100% earned...but the legitimacy of his legacy stops there ..

Here are the facts...

Conor has zero title defenses at both FW and LW..

Conor is 1-3 at LW currently and the only win was the gifted title shot agaisnt Alvarez...yes i said gifted because thats what it was and will always be .

Why was it gifted... u may ask...

1) Because he got it with no Title defenses at FW.. usually champions need to clear out their own divisions before getting a shot at the above class.. ( GSP vs Silva, Volk vs Islam 1, Jones vs Gane/Ngannou , Izzy vs jan ETC)

2) He beat a LW at WW in Nate Diaz by Majority Decision which is pretty much almost a made up thing considering it almost never happens , the very same Nate Diaz who submitted Conor in two rounds the fight before the majority decision again at WW . ( nate won that btw the rematch) ...

3)Conor had no previous LW fights in the UFC before getting a shot at the title.. slap in the face to all those contenders that were grinding at the time for a title shot.. .

So although the record books might say he done it...he got a major fucking boost and helping by the UFC to do it... Without that as he's current LW record shows .. he wasnt getting close to that title at 155lbs

Last edited:
Here's what Dana White says about it, and he's usually right:

“That’s the thing — nobody wants to do it. GSP would never move up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. He wouldn’t do it,” White said when speaking to Russillo and Kanell on Tuesday. “That’s what makes Saturday so fun. You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it. Guys don’t do that stuff. That’s what makes Conor McGregor so unique, so fascinating and so fun.

“For GSP he was moving up one weight class. Conor McGregor jumped up two weight classes.”
I was under the impression that Aldo wanted to fight Pettis for the LW belt but Dana "no one wants it" White didnt let him without leaving the FW belt first. Allegedly.

PS: Conor fought at 170lbs...against a career LW, the 2nd title fight was only one division up tho.

Hendricks wanted to move up to fight Weidman when he was champ

They wouldn’t let Aldo do it unless he vacated the 145lb belt
aldo pulls out of half his fights and already had a low attendance. it's not a mystery why a guy like him should not be given opportunities to hold 2 titles.

More of a UFC gimmick than anything. They used the whole double champ hype to obfuscate the fact that he hadn't fought contenders or earned title shots in either division and just got fast access to stylistically favorable championship fights.

Here's what Dana White says about it, and he's usually right:

“That’s the thing — nobody wants to do it. GSP would never move up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. He wouldn’t do it,” White said when speaking to Russillo and Kanell on Tuesday. “That’s what makes Saturday so fun. You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it. Guys don’t do that stuff. That’s what makes Conor McGregor so unique, so fascinating and so fun.

“For GSP he was moving up one weight class. Conor McGregor jumped up two weight classes.”
GSP was never not a tap-to-strikes wuss. He robbed us of the biggest fight of all time because of cowardice.

Back