Media Do you credit the rise of two x division championship fights to Conor McGregor?

Do you credit McGregor with the rise of champ vs. champ fights?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
upload_2023-10-15_13-35-51.png

This weekend, we will once again see history attempted with Volk vs. Islam in a champion vs. champion match.

Prior to McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez there was only 1 champ vs champ and that was Penn vs GSP nearly 10 years ago.

However, since we had the legendary fight between Eddie and Conor, we’ve been blessed with much more champ vs. champ fights (likely due to the huge success that was Conor vs. Eddie).

We’ve had:

Stipe vs Cormier
Nunes vs Cyborg
Israel vs Jan
TJ vs. Cejudo

And… once again this weekend with Alex vs. Islam
A History Of UFC Champion vs Champion Fights | UFC

Here's what Dana White says about it, and he's usually right:

“That’s the thing — nobody wants to do it. GSP would never move up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. He wouldn’t do it,” White said when speaking to Russillo and Kanell on Tuesday. “That’s what makes Saturday so fun. You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it. Guys don’t do that stuff. That’s what makes Conor McGregor so unique, so fascinating and so fun.

“For GSP he was moving up one weight class. Conor McGregor jumped up two weight classes.”

“That’s the thing — nobody wants to do it. GSP would never move up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. He wouldn’t do it,” White said when speaking to Russillo and Kanell on Tuesday. “That’s what makes Saturday so fun. You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it. Guys don’t do that stuff. That’s what makes Conor McGregor so unique, so fascinating and so fun.

“For GSP he was moving up one weight class. Conor McGregor jumped up two weight classes.”

Where's that quote from?

Hendo would have been a three division champ if Pride didn't fold...

5.gif

"Credit" makes it sound like an achievement that everyone else gets to benefit from. The UFC used to deny other fighters this opportunity and had they not surely there would have been other before Conor. Aldo would have beaten Edgar if a fight at 155 went as their 145 fights did for example.

To be fair this was only announced after Charles got injured.
Otherwise I'd have been against it as it's screwing two divisions over. Again.

When I think two division champ, I still think of BJ first, but Conor is 100% the reason so many champ-chmap fights are happening, at least partially, but I'd like it to be two reigning, defending champs. I don't think Islam having his first and second defenses against a FW (no matter how amazing Volk is) is a step in the right direction, as it holds divisions up.

Jumped 2 weight classes my ass, FW was never his natural weight.

IMG_0618.jpeg

Credit Dana White for allowing it. He’s just being petty and trashing GSP, as usual. Conor was a meteor, and Dana and Conor capitalized on it. Conor was a great fighter and did challenge himself, no doubt; but, really Randy Couture was the first to really be able to fight 2 different weight classes. Well, and BJ Penn deserves a nod, too. But he really struggled as he went up. Couture didn’t.

Last edited:
I always considered BJ Penn the pioneer of jumping up in weight as Champ and challenging the weight above, despite the fact he lost.

He earlier went up from LW to beat the then WW champion in Huges first but he didn’t have the LW belt at the time

Back