Media Do you credit the rise of two x division championship fights to Conor McGregor?

Do you credit McGregor with the rise of champ vs. champ fights?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Entirely so. Aldo should've been the first to claim 145 and 155 belt. I think he had more than enough to do that at that time.
That's part of why I took Aldo out my all time list. He's a great FW, but multiple divisions puts you at the greatest level.

After Conor the UFC did shift in doing a lot more of champ vs champ fights, I think that's pretty clear. Prior to that it was all about title defenses for champs.

Here's what Dana White says about it, and he's usually right:

“That’s the thing — nobody wants to do it. GSP would never move up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. He wouldn’t do it,” White said when speaking to Russillo and Kanell on Tuesday. “That’s what makes Saturday so fun. You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it. Guys don’t do that stuff. That’s what makes Conor McGregor so unique, so fascinating and so fun.

“For GSP he was moving up one weight class. Conor McGregor jumped up two weight classes.”

Yeah, Dana's full of shit. Aldo wanted to fight for the lightweight title but Dana said he had to give up his belt first. They prevented him from being the first double champ.

View attachment 1006616

This weekend, we will once again see history attempted with Volk vs. Islam in a champion vs. champion match.

Prior to McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez there was only 1 champ vs champ and that was Penn vs GSP nearly 10 years ago.

However, since we had the legendary fight between Eddie and Conor, we’ve been blessed with much more champ vs. champ fights (likely due to the huge success that was Conor vs. Eddie).

We’ve had:

Stipe vs Cormier
Nunes vs Cyborg
Israel vs Jan
TJ vs. Cejudo

And… once again this weekend with Alex vs. Islam
A History Of UFC Champion vs Champion Fights | UFC
I credit UFC for giving him the opportunity

Here's what Dana White says about it, and he's usually right:

“That’s the thing — nobody wants to do it. GSP would never move up to 185 to fight Anderson Silva. He wouldn’t do it,” White said when speaking to Russillo and Kanell on Tuesday. “That’s what makes Saturday so fun. You know how many times we wanted to do the GSP-Anderson Silva fight? GSP would not do it. Would not do it. Guys don’t do that stuff. That’s what makes Conor McGregor so unique, so fascinating and so fun.

“For GSP he was moving up one weight class. Conor McGregor jumped up two weight classes.”

When did Conor jump two weight classes and when did he fight a legitimate champion or contender two weight classes higher?

Back