Diffrence between american and dutch kickboxing

So if focus is more on the hands why don't they go over to Boxing for better money.
no idea. i mean they dont have to if they like kickboxing more.
but nieky holzken for example does have a few boxing fights and it is rumered that he might move to boxing. but nothing is sure yet

So if focus is more on the hands why don't they go over to Boxing for better money.
Because you would go from top tier Kickboxing money to low tier Boxing money. Only the big names are making real money in Boxing...

Is Alexander Ustinov the best boxer to come from a kickboxing (and by that I mean K1 and Glory type rules as opposed to PKA) background?

While attempting to find information on Nordin Bensallah I discovered this abomination:

In a fight in which Bill lands about 3x's as many takedowns as Bensallah lands actual strikes, Bensallah is given a heinous hometown kickboxing decision. "Normal European rules" at work.

Shorthand

Dutch kickboxing: Muay thai and kyokushin karate inspired. Focus on 'diagonal combos' of boxing and low kicks. Pressure and volume game. A powerhouse in pro kickboxing. Trunks
American kickboxing: Semi-contact karate inspired. Focus on boxing and spinning shit. Low kicks illegal. Movement and counter w/ big shots. Mostly a non-factor in the international scene after the 90's. Longpants

With the popularization of the K-1 ruleset in international competition (i.e. low kicks allowed, use of a ring instead of a bowl), old-style American KB has faded. The last gasp for air was Chuck Norris' WCL.

These are fight that got me hooked. Hoost is probably one of the archetypes for the Dutch style. His fight w/ Rick Roufus in the early 90's is a classic clash between American and Dutch styles

Every time I hear Ernesto Hoost, I almost think of this video.
I really miss the old Sherdog highlight videos.

Pretty sure Klitschko came from an above the waist kickboxing background. And although I didn't explicitly say as much I meant men's boxing.

wrong

wladimir klitschko lost a fight to robin van roosmalens dad, william van roosmalen in his home country Ukrain

your still wrong jackass! vitali fought pka style with long pants and foot pads not k1/glory style oriential rules with low kicks and clinch knees

Dutch Kickboxing works with the explosive hard strikes like in Muay Thai. The Lowkicks are very importand.

Hi im kinda new to kickboxing and MMA and i was wondering, what is the real diffrence between american style kickboxing and dutch style kickboxing? Also now youre here any classic/great fights you guys can reccomand me to watch?

From my observation Dutch style is tougher. Dutch style evolved from Muay Thai with addition of Western boxing techniques while Americal kickboxing was more or less developed from Karate. Check out a Holzken vs Valtellini fight. It's a great kickboxing bout (under Glory ie. K1 rules: knee strikes allowed, no elbows allowed) between a great technical fighter and a great brawler.

Also, take a look at a post I wrote about Dutch style:
Dutch style kickboxing techniques and combinations

From my observation Dutch style is tougher. Dutch style evolved from Muay Thai with addition of Western boxing techniques while Americal kickboxing was more or less developed from Karate. Check out a Holzken vs Valtellini fight. It's a great kickboxing bout (under Glory ie. K1 rules: knee strikes allowed, no elbows allowed) between a great technical fighter and a great brawler.

Dutch style was influenced by Muay Thai but its origins are Karate...

It's never gonna end, is it.

Holy shit! That website is like something out of a night terror I might have after listening to a Bas Rutten interview.

http://www.effectivemuaythai.com/muay-thai-vs.html

"Cung Le, who was a pure Taekwondo striker and a successful mixed martial artist without any wrestling skills. I remember his fight with Ken Shamrock, a very skilled wrestler, in which he broke Ken's arm with his powerful TDK kicks."

Combat sports scholarship at it's finest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back