Diffrence between american and dutch kickboxing

I once read that he did a couple of kickboxing fights as a youngster before fully turning to boxing.

he would have to change his style of winding up for huge punches.

Yeah definitely. The footwork is so different

I box myself and tried kickboxing for a while thinking id automatically be great at it. Just some adaptions. Never been more wrong in my life

Im used to having a wide stance for balance in boxing. But everytime i did that my trainer would just attack my legs and id be on the effing ground in no time

(Love watching the sport though)

Hi im kinda new to kickboxing and MMA and i was wondering, what is the real diffrence between american style kickboxing and dutch style kickboxing? Also now youre here any classic/great fights you guys can reccomand me to watch?

Dutch kickboxing has indeed been inspired from muay thai. In the 70's some dutch pioneers such as Jan plas (Mejiro Gym), Johan Vos (Vos Gym), Thom Harrinck (Chakuriki Gym), etc traveled to Thailand and discovered muay thai. They adapted the muay thai style with their boxing and karate background.
Dutch style kickboxing is well known to be fast paced, in comparison to muay thai, a straight forward style that holds a lot of boxing and muay thai kicks combinations but also spinning heel kicks, waving kicks or axe kicks etc.
Throwing elbows wasn't always regulated in the Netherlands and clinching for too long was considered 'boring' for the dutch crowd so that was regulated also. That is why you see so little clinch game in the Netherlands. Nevertheless all of this came in handy when the dutch competed in the K1 Organization in Japan, where there were no elbows allowed nor knees. This resulted in the majority of k1-champions being Dutch (Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost, Remy Bonjasky,Sem Schilt).

I'm from The Netherlands myself where I live and train 6 days a week. I post training videos on my blog from time to time, check it out if you want.

MT had to be updated by boxers and karatekas to stay viable in modern combat sports and it's still failing in that regard, at least in mma, the truest exprrssion of pure, unnarmed combat. we're finally seeing that traditional MT is a garbage, obsolete system that's only good for giving tourists a nice thrill and middle aged bullied weaklings a fake sense of confidence. MT is the new tkd

What's your recommendation for standup?

Manny Pacquiao started out as a kickboxer ;)

Source? I once read he did some Filipino version of kickboxing but I haven't ever seen proof that he did anything competitively or befor ehe started boxing

also vitali klitchko

As far as I know he started boxing with his brother when he was like 10. I know he had kickboxing fights but as far as i know he started with boxing

As far as I know he started boxing with his brother when he was like 10. I know he had kickboxing fights but as far as i know he started with boxing
He may well have done some boxing training in his youth, but his competitive kickboxing predates his competitive boxing. Also his English wikipedia suggests he started boxing after, and his Ukrainian wiki outright states it.

Back