Diffrence between american and dutch kickboxing

D1511

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi im kinda new to kickboxing and MMA and i was wondering, what is the real diffrence between american style kickboxing and dutch style kickboxing? Also now youre here any classic/great fights you guys can reccomand me to watch?

Shorthand

Dutch kickboxing: Muay thai and kyokushin karate inspired. Focus on 'diagonal combos' of boxing and low kicks. Pressure and volume game. A powerhouse in pro kickboxing. Trunks
American kickboxing: Semi-contact karate inspired. Focus on boxing and spinning shit. Low kicks illegal. Movement and counter w/ big shots. Mostly a non-factor in the international scene after the 90's. Longpants

With the popularization of the K-1 ruleset in international competition (i.e. low kicks allowed, use of a ring instead of a bowl), old-style American KB has faded. The last gasp for air was Chuck Norris' WCL.

These are fight that got me hooked. Hoost is probably one of the archetypes for the Dutch style. His fight w/ Rick Roufus in the early 90's is a classic clash between American and Dutch styles

American Kickboxing sucks. Dutch Kickboxing doesn't.

"These are fight that got me hooked. Hoost is probably one of the archetypes for the Dutch style. His fight w/ Rick Roufus in the early 90's is a classic clash between American and Dutch styles"

You neglected to mention Rick's previous fight with Hoost and his 2 fights with Kaman.

They may be different styles, but they have the same daddy.

Muay Thai

You can watch the same fight in HD on my channel SuperLuigi:

Also check some classical Dutch style here:

And a short answer to the question. My personal view is that Dutch style is more combo with the hands and always end with the low kick XD. Thai style is more hard kicking and keeping distance with the hands (Because of elbows, but also in kickboxing rules they tend to do this)

And American is just following the kickboxing rules and doing your best with it and not a certain ''style''. I think you can only speak of a Dutch and Thai style.

You can watch the same fight in HD on my channel SuperLuigi:

Or you know, watch it on the actual K-1 Japan channel where they've released the fights for free and put them up before you did.

I don't mean to trample another KB fan's toes, but you might wanna be careful with posting these full fights.

I think a lot of us turn a blind eye when its someone posting the fights before they're available from official sources, but you're watermarking official footage and posting it up on your channel after they're available for free officially. Not only that, you're linking to your paypal for donations and to an adfly page. That's getting into reposting someone else's content for commercial use territory and might get you in trouble.

Please explain that, because I thought the same but I didn't have any arguments against it.

Muay Thai is ancient, traditional and has many of the movements and foundations of both kickboxing.

But it can't be said it's his daddy.

Maybe in american kickboxing karate is? But what about dutch?

Please explain that, because I thought the same but I didn't have any arguments against it.

Muay Thai is ancient, traditional and has many of the movements and foundations of both kickboxing.

But it can't be said it's his daddy.

Maybe in american kickboxing karate is? But what about dutch?

American kickboxing comes from karate, in particular the more traditional styles and they combined that with boxing. Nothing to do with Muay Thai.

Dutch kickboxing comes from a blend of Kyokushin Karate, Muay Thai and Boxing. The first few Dutch guys who started coaching that style were all Kyokushin guys who then also heavily studied Muay Thai. Guys like Johan Vos, Jan Plas, Tom Harink, Ton Vriend, etc.

American kickboxing comes from karate, in particular the more traditional styles and they combined that with boxing. Nothing to do with Muay Thai.

Dutch kickboxing comes from a blend of Kyokushin Karate, Muay Thai and Boxing. The first few Dutch guys who started coaching that style were all Kyokushin guys who then also heavily studied Muay Thai. Guys like Johan Vos, Jan Plas, Tom Harink, Ton Vriend, etc.
Excellent reply!! Thanks a lot. I thought some of that but hadn't a clue.

So from your explanation, can be concluded that both kickboxing are different because they have really different origins.

I need to read more about kyokushin, or even look to train some.

I do kickboxing in a place which has competitors with WKC, so it has a strong boxing foundation with a muay thai approach.

Dutch Kickboxing - combination of Kyokushin Karate Kicks with Boxing Punches.

Known for throwing boxing combination followed by a kick at the end. Knees and Clinch are also used frequently.

Back