Did they UFC release James Toney from his MMA contract?

I don't think so man, although I might be remembering it wrong. But I specifically remember him trying to get a fight with Rampage on the card that was in (or near) Detroit, which ended up being Rampage vs Machida. That was a few months after the Randy beating and it seemed like he still thought he had a chance of getting another fight in the UFC. He just wanted paydays and he wasn't getting big ones in boxing anymore by that point.

Also I remember at one point it was announced that he was gonna be fighting Shamrock outside the UFC, although I don't know if they had actually signed contracts or whatever. There have been a lot of fights with Shamrock that get announced but never end up happening.

I went back and read some old articles, and you’re right. He was cut after that first fight and did promise to “100%” fight in MMA again and tried to get another UFC fight against Rampage in Detroit. Sorry for the inaccurate info.

Still p4p best boxer in the UFC

I freaking love Toney.
Brock would have been a great fight for him after Randy. He wouldn't have been tentative and we all know how Brock reacts to getting hit. Randy doesn't care at all about getting hit, so that was a non factor.

However if Brock got him down, it would be over.

Fun fight.

However if Brock got him down, it would be over.

Fun fight.
It would be over before the bell stopped resonating. If he couldn't stop Randy taking him down, how's he gonna stop a charging Lesnar?

It would be over before the bell stopped resonating. If he couldn't stop Randy taking him down, how's he gonna stop a charging Lesnar?

I guess you don't really fight?

Getting in the cage with a historic power puncher will make you tentative if you don't like to get hit.

Randy didn't care about getting hit, Brock is terrified of it.

Of course this is dependent on Toney actually coming to fight.

"If"? Couture grazed Toney's ankle and it was enough to take him down.

Because as stated above, Toney wasn't there to fight, he was there to collect a paycheck.

Randy would have taken him down, either way for reasons explained above.

Getting in the cage with a historic power puncher will make you tentative if you don't like to get hit.

You seriously think Lesnar wouldn’t shoot and take him down within the first 10 seconds? Lesnar may have not been the best at getting hit, but it’s been a bit overblown. He sure as fuck wouldn’t have tried standing with Toney because he was scared of getting hit. That would be the entire reason for taking him down. LOL at the “I guess you don’t really fight” comment.

It was funny watching Fester drop the tough guy act whenever he was around Toney. He sounded like the same harmless, soft-spoken square that he used to be prior to marketing himself as a badass for the TUF generation.

He dove for Toney's ankle like a soldier diving on top of a grenade to save his comrades. He was very wary about getting hit.

-BFD-dont-care-Dr-Steve-Brule-Uncaring-Who-cares-Dont-care-Who-gives-a-shit-Dont-give-a-shit-No-one-cares-GIF.gif

You seriously think Lesnar wouldn’t shoot and take him down within the first 10 seconds? Lesnar may have not been the best at getting hit, but it’s been a bit overblown. He sure as fuck wouldn’t have tried standing with Toney because he was scared of getting hit. That would be the entire reason for taking him down. LOL at the “I guess you don’t really fight” comment.

I was giving you a Sherdog joke about fighting, but anyways, Lesnar backs up when he is scared of strikes, not just shooting.

Of course this is all dependent on Toney showing up to actually fight.

It was funny watching Fester drop the tough guy act whenever he was around Toney. He sounded like the same harmless, soft-spoken square that he used to be prior to marketing himself as a badass for the TUF generation.

He dove for Toney's ankle like a soldier diving on top of a grenade to save his comrades. He was very wary about getting hit.

Right, but I am speaking from Randy's other fights. Randy is not afraid to get hit and wanted none of Toney. Brock already runs from strikers, I think he might just have a heart attack standing in front of a game Toney.

I wish they gave Toney a striker instead of a pure wreslter like Coture. Would have made for an interesting evening :p

I remember seeing an interview at the time of the Randy fight where Vitor said he would be happy to fight him. I would have been well up for watching that.

I was giving you a Sherdog joke about fighting, but anyways, Lesnar backs up when he is scared of strikes, not just shooting.

Of course this is all dependent on Toney showing up to actually fight.
Sorry, it went right over my head.

I wish they gave Toney a striker instead of a pure wreslter like Coture. Would have made for an interesting evening :p

The whole thing was promoted as MMA versus boxing. No way they'd have given him any chance at winning.

Back