Did they UFC release James Toney from his MMA contract?

I would love to see how he would fair against a pure striker willing to stand with him and not take him down.
He's had a ton of boxing matches, I bet some of them are online....

Just to be clear: this thread is about Toney opening a path for Conor isn't it? Good angle, my respect, but just wanted to be sure.

I wish they gave him another shot in the octagon, I didn't think that was fair. He came in and promoted the living shit out of that fight, let himself be their sacrificial lamb for a BS "boxing vs UFC" angle, fought an experienced grappler who he had no business being in the cage with. People might not remember now but there was a lot of hype surrounding that fight and it was all because of him. I wish they gave him another shot against Pat Barry or someone, or even Big Country like some other guys have said.

Technically no, after that fight he came to Dana and quit, but no one understood him so hes been signed ever since
giphy.gif

Give him CM Punk.
That would be hilarious.

I wish they gave him another shot in the octagon, I didn't think that was fair. He came in and promoted the living shit out of that fight, let himself be their sacrificial lamb for a BS "boxing vs UFC" angle, fought an experienced grappler who he had no business being in the cage with. People might not remember now but there was a lot of hype surrounding that fight and it was all because of him. I wish they gave him another shot against Pat Barry or someone, or even Big Country like some other guys have said.
Pretty sure it was his call. As best I can remember, he didn't get cut. If they could've milked him for another beat down, I'm sure they would have.

I wish they gave Toney a striker instead of a pure wreslter like Coture. Would have made for an interesting evening :p
Yeah who gets randy couture in there first MMA match

Pretty sure it was his call. As best I can remember, he didn't get cut. If they could've milked him for another beat down, I'm sure they would have.

I don't think so man, although I might be remembering it wrong. But I specifically remember him trying to get a fight with Rampage on the card that was in (or near) Detroit, which ended up being Rampage vs Machida. That was a few months after the Randy beating and it seemed like he still thought he had a chance of getting another fight in the UFC. He just wanted paydays and he wasn't getting big ones in boxing anymore by that point.

Also I remember at one point it was announced that he was gonna be fighting Shamrock outside the UFC, although I don't know if they had actually signed contracts or whatever. There have been a lot of fights with Shamrock that get announced but never end up happening.

I still have no idea what AC would sanction an event like that. A former multiple time UFC champion vs a guy with ZERO amateur or pro MMA fights.

I still have no idea what AC would sanction an event like that. A former multiple time UFC champion vs a guy with ZERO amateur or pro MMA fights.

Probably one in Massachusetts.

I know he signed a multi-fight deal back before he fought Couture but I don't recall ever hearing if they released him. He obviously went back to boxing but was he boxing while still technically under contract with the UFC?

Asking for a friend
Holding out for Roy Nelson vs James Toney

I would love to see how he would fair against a pure striker willing to stand with him and not take him down.
Probably pretty well. Even a washed up Toney would be a problem for a good MMA striker.

From what I remember, he wanted to continue with the UFC, but Dana released him.

That was probably the easiest 500K he's ever made in his life.

I wish they gave Toney a striker instead of a pure wreslter like Coture. Would have made for an interesting evening :p

I wish they gave him another shot against Pat Barry or someone, or even Big Country like some other guys have said.

Toney was completely out of shape and very obviously didn't bother to train at all when there wasn't a camera around. He just ate a bunch of cheeseburgers and came to collect his fight money, never intending do to more than that. He probably did a Bob Sapp and didn't lose his time negotiating a win bonus. IMO he'd have lost to anyone in the UFC, even against a striker with far less technical habilities than him.

Yeah who gets randy couture in there first MMA match

Yugi Nagata laughs at that.

When as a AC ever prevented an MMA fight from happening for such reasons?

making fun of a guy who is punch drunk is pretty shit. brain damage is no joke.

at his prime in boxing the guy was fighting at like 168 lbs. he was crazy out of shape in ufc.

Back