Denis Villeneuve's Sci-Fi Drama ARRIVAL (93% Rotten Tomatoes)

If you have seen ARRIVAL, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: August 16, 2016

First Full Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's Sci-Fi Thriller ARRIVAL

Arrival-Amy-Adams-081616-Dragonlord.png

After Paramount Pictures unveiled the mysterious teaser for Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi drama Arrival last week, the full trailer is now available. And it’s fantastic. It expands on the teaser’s introduction of a world in which aliens have landed on–but not quite invaded–Earth. In an attempt to communicate with this new species, expert linguist Louise Banks (five-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams) is recruited to decipher their language and establish a dialogue before the world’s nations spiral out of control due to fear and mistrust.

12 mysterious UFOs dubbed “Shells” have landed all across the world but a slightly closer look reveals so much more: the UFOs (which have a unique shape that may or may not factor into the larger plot) are not hovering over Washington, D.C. and its landmarks, nor any other capital for that matter, but rather locations like Montana, Greenland, and Pakistan; the conflict may factor in a military response, but the heart of the tension is centered on establishing communication before things get out of control.

Arrival
also teases the aliens’ design and language to fantastic effect in this trailer, which reveals just enough to whet the appetite. Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker also star. Arrival opens on November 11th.

They also released a new international trailer featuring tons of new footage.

‘Arrival’: First Full Trailer Further Reveals Denis Villeneuve’s Alien Encounter

Update: August 9, 2016

First Teaser Trailer for Amy Adam's Sci-Fi Drama ARRIVAL

When a mysterious spacecraft touch down across the globe, an elite team – lead by expert linguist Louise Banks (Amy Adams) – are brought together to investigate. As mankind teeters on the verge of global war, Banks and the team race against time for answers – and to find them, she will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity. Directed by Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Sicario), the film also stars Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker and Michael Stuhlbarg. Arrival opens November 11, 2016.

Last edited:
Looks interesting. I loved Prisoners (and Sicario is on my must-see list) and always enjoy Adams in serious roles.

Hopefully this doesn't turn out like The Day the Earth Stood Still or Contact.

I'm so glad to see Villeneuve taking the world by storm. A serious talent.

First Teaser Trailer for Amy Adam's Sci-Fi Drama ARRIVAL

When a mysterious spacecraft touch down across the globe, an elite team – lead by expert linguist Louise Banks (Amy Adams) – are brought together to investigate. As mankind teeters on the verge of global war, Banks and the team race against time for answers – and to find them, she will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity.

Directed by Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Sicario), the film also stars Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker and Michael Stuhlbarg. Arrival opens November 11, 2016.

wow this looks really good

Update: August 16, 2016

First Full Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's Sci-Fi Thriller ARRIVAL

Video moved to the OP.

They should have called it Jane and the Giant Egg.

looks pretty exciting to me, i love these kinds of movies.

She looks like a smart independent woman who takes the lead and don't need no man.

Update: September 1, 2016

First Critics' Reviews for Denis Villeneuve's Sci-Fi Drama ARRIVAL

Arrival-Amy-Adams-090116-Dragonlord.jpg

The Hollywood Reporter - Anchored by an internalized performance from Amy Adams rich in emotional depth, this is a grownup sci-fi drama that sustains fear and tension while striking affecting chords on love and loss. Good

London Evening Standard - Compellingly made, this is science fiction of substance, which is promising for the forthcoming new Blade Runner. 4/5

TIME Magazine - Arrival gives us a lot to take in, and the picture is big, somber and grand, if in the end somewhat sterile. Good

Time Out - Plenty of smart ideas and bravura visuals. 3/5

Screen International - In a crowded genre, Villeneuve's picture is distinguished chiefly for being so richly realised and executed, gifted with an almost symbiotic score by his regular collaborator Johann Johannsson. Good

The Film Stage - A high-stakes, hard sci-fi action film. B

TheWrap - A fairly chilly, cerebral bit of business, from its beautifully tamped-down cinematography (by modern master Bradford Young) to Jóhann Jóhannsson's ethereal score. Good

CineVue - Arrival is a close encounter with the best of intelligent, thoughtful science fiction. 4/5

Guardian - Both heartfelt and very entertaining. Arrival is a big, risky, showy movie which jumps up on its high-concept highwire and disdains a net. 4/5

The Playlist - It's a monolith, a megalith, but like the gigantic alien craft that comes to rest somewhere above Montana at the start of the film, despite its immensity it hovers elegantly overhead. The film defies gravity. A-

Glad it's getting good reviews.

Can't wait to see this. I am starving for smart sci fi and action

Awesome. DL just sold a couple tickets here. Well, was actually already kind of planning on seeing it. I wonder what kept it from that top, top level. I wonder if Adams could bare the load here. She's good, but we'll see. Some actors actresses have their respective limits.

Back