Denis Villeneuve's Sci-Fi Drama ARRIVAL (93% Rotten Tomatoes)

If you have seen ARRIVAL, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Was able to catch this last night and thought it was pretty good. Has incredible reviews which probably put my expectations a little too high, but it's still a pretty good film. Also literally not a single action scene in this so don't go in expecting that in case you were. I feel like this MIGHT not be for everybody, but I could be wrong.

I want to see it again when it comes out for what it's worth.

Saw a preview on TV for this the other day and lol'd when it cited a 100% RT rating.

That's like Hector Lombard in the first minute of the first round.

Every time I see those alien ships all I see are biscotti cookies. I like it.

<{titihmm}>

Was excited about this til I found out it was all words
Fuck that bullshit

I just saw this movie - and for the first time in my life I have to rate a film ?/10

No way I can get into how many questions about this movie I have without spoiling, but this film left my mind in a twisted perplexed state of a pendulum; swinging from what an amazing concept of a well conceptualized take of what it may actually look like if aliens came to earth / what humans would do -- to wondering what the fuck just happened; what the hell did this story just turn into; I have to sit down with the writer and ask him a million questions.

The first half of the movie is awesome, keeps you enthralled and drives the story with a complex concept delivered and explained fairly well (albeit maybe too rushed). You then get thrown in a loop and it takes you down a completely different path (it subtlety hints to it earlier but you don't realize it till after) leaving you with a myriad of questions (many I don't think can be answered and that may be the point)-- that will make even the smartest of us feel like we are pretty dumb -- or least make us feel like we need an explanation for what just happened done in a manner as if we were 5 years old.

I think a lot of people will dislike this movie, while a lot of us will really like it -- but to me it's not a love or hate it movie; it's a "I want to like it, I think I like it, I feel like I like it, but can you explain it to me" movie

Hence the ?/10

Last edited:
I think I will like it. I like movies that give me a hard time rating them. I can't wait until it comes out here

This movie was smart in the way Interstellar wished it was.

I enjoyed this movie from start to finish. If you are looking for some shoot em up alien crap don't go see this.

Arrival is muddy narrative mixed with a confusion plot dipped in some nice visuals. A film that tries to be too smart for its own good while making political undertones but can’t even cover its own plot holes to come to a satisfying conclusion. Amy Adams give a good emotional performance but honestly she can only do so much with what she is given. Director Denis Villeneuve does the best with what he haves and almost is able to salvage a passable movie but I put the blame on the screenwriter for coming up with a poor adaption to a short story.

https://society-reviews.com/2016/11/11/arrival-review/

I just saw this movie - and for the first time in my life I have to rate a film ?/10

No way I can get into how many questions about this movie I have without spoiling, but this film left my mind in a twisted perplexed state of a pendulum; swinging from what an amazing concept of a well conceptualized take of what it may actually look like if aliens came to earth / what humans would do -- to wondering what the fuck just happened; what the hell did this story just turn into; I have to sit down with the writer and ask him a million questions.

The first half of the movie is awesome, keeps you enthralled and drives the story with a complex concept delivered and explained fairly well (albeit maybe too rushed). You then get thrown in a loop and it takes you down a completely different path (it subtlety hints to it earlier but you don't realize it till after) leaving you with a myriad of questions (many I don't think can be answered and that may be the point)-- that will make even the smartest of us feel like we are pretty dumb -- or least make us feel like we need an explanation for what just happened done in a manner as if we were 5 years old.

I think a lot of people will dislike this movie, while a lot of us will really like it -- but to me it's not a love or hate it movie; it's a "I want to like it, I think I like it, I feel like I like it, but can you explain it to me" movie

Hence the ?/10

+1. My feelings exactly

+1. My feelings exactly

thus far everyone who has liked it still cant explain it. Not saying it isnt good -- i think people are just using the "its really smart" to avoid admitting they didn't didn't understand the last 1/4 of it.

GO SEE IT.

Hey all GOAT poster GUERNICA here, I realize I tend to neglect my subject in the lounge, but you are never forgotten.

That said: I saw Arrival last night and I highly recommend it. Directed by Denise Villenuve, of Sicario and with a marvelous score by Johan Johansson, it's easily one of the best movies you'll see all year.

It's also a timely movie about human connection and fear of the unknown. This is not your typical sci-fi thriller and more in the psychological drama vein. If you like work from directors like Danny Boyle and Roland Emerick, this is one for you. It dark and up lifting and just a great movie in the French style of high drama and use of silence. In my GOAT option, a must watch.

Thoughts? Any other movie suggestions??

#GUERNICAbless

cliff-clavin-jeopardy.png

What do Danny Boyle and Roland Emmerich have in common?
I didn't say they had anything in common but Danny Boyle has a great eye for dark, art house style films while Emmerick has proven to be good a sci-fi director, particularly in grand shots and huge scenic detail of alien world/hardware.

#GUERNICAbless

I've wanted to see it for a while. Might go 2maro

Hence the ?/10

Judo just remember the Past present and future all happen at once.

That makes things easier to understand.

I saw this movie and absolutely loved it. Ask me any question. Lol I think I have pretty a firm grasp on this movie.

And judo I agree people will dislike it because they won't understsnd it and because it isn't a shoot Em up summer alien movie.

Like I said in my earlier post, Arrival is smart in the way interstellar wished it was.

Roland Emmerich has made so many bloated pieces of Hollywood summer crap it isn't even funny.

Some of his movies are literally horrible. A lot of them actually

Judo just remember the Past present and future all happen at once.

That makes things easier to understand.

I saw this movie and absolutely loved it. Ask me any question. Lol I think I have pretty a firm grasp on this movie.

And judo I agree people will dislike it because they won't understsnd it and because it isn't a shoot Em up summer alien movie.

Like I said in my earlier post, Arrival is smart in the way interstellar wished it was.

I get the superposition of time theory and that the first 3/4 of the movie follow a linear plot and then the loop shift starts -- movie reflecting the theme.

But how did she get fluid understanding of the language after the rogues tried to blow up the ship - was the ability to access the weapon/gift and if so, why didn't the aliens do a conscious transfer to her before all the events leading up to it -- they obviously had the ability and would know what would happen.

how come the chinese general had the knowledge of the phone call before she did -- if she is the one that obtain the ability to access the time loop

How did she know that Hannah was going to die before the events the led to aliens revealing to her the time loop capability? Did she end up telling Ian or did she alter that time and if so, would the alien scenario happen again? Did she always have the ability --if so, how come she didnt tap into the oncoming events -- if she didn't have the ability before hand, why did Ian leave the marriage?

Last edited:
Saw that movie yesterday, was pleasantly surprised. I won't post any spoilers or thoughts in my initial OP.

What did you guys / gals think. I'll theorize latter if this thread moves that way and peeps do the same.

Director did a decent job with a very simple plot line / theme.

Back